The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a unique set up? Windows 10 - Rigblaster Pro - FT-480HX - HRD  (Read 867 times)
KW9WK

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »

I'm determined -

I have my desktop running Windows 10 - USB/DB9 adapter cables and drivers - A RigBlaster Pro - And Ham Radio Delux -
I can get things to receive OK - But transmitting is a different story - I need to get some advice from some one with a similar hookup.  I have scoured the websites for Rig Blaster and HRD and while there is a ton of great info to be found, I can't quite seem to find what I can effective apply to my situation.

HELP!!!

Lenny, KW9WK, formerly AC9RN, formerly KB2NYA....
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »

Be specific- what is it doing/not doing?  What have you tried?

Mark K5LXP
Albuqueruqe, NM
KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »

Should be Kenwood-TS-480HX

I can receive via HRD - Transmitting is another story. THe PTT and CW lights aren't lighting, but I am getting a level light on.  Another symptom is the radio keys as soon as HRD starts, and is stuck there unless I shut things down.  I need some guidance on cable hookups and software settings.  I haven't been able to find anything specific to the TS-480, it seems to fall into a grey area.
The USB-DB9 cables are of particular concern. 

Hope this clarifies!

(P.S.  - I am a total newbie to digital and not a computer whiz either - Bear with me please! )

-Lenny KW9WK

KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »

I have USB cables running from the 'puter to the TS-480 and another from the 'puter to the rigblaster.  Not so sure thins is the right hookup.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »

I have USB cables running from the 'puter to the TS-480 and another from the 'puter to the rigblaster.  Not so sure thins is the right hookup.
Make sure the front panel process switch is ON and the TX level control is set at about 50% for starters. Try putting the rig in VOX mode. Also look at the Playback sound card settings on the computer. Make sure the internal jumpers are set for Yaesu inside the RigBlaster. There are 2 different settings for Yaesu. One for a common ground between PTT and the mike the other for newer Yaesu radios that use separate grounds.
You probably already have this, http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/RIGblaster%20pro.pdf
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:39:23 AM by AA2UK » Logged
KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:59:03 PM »

Should have paid attention to my title line - The rig is a Kenwood TS-480HX not FT-480 like Yaeseu -

The hook-up and operation guidelines from HRD and from West Mountain are kinda vague regarding the Kenwood TS-480.  I can get level to the RigBlaster, but the PTT and CW lights don't show anything. I have the rig hooked up to Comm5, and I can control it (VFO) through the HRD.  Just no keying, pretty much.  I also have a USB/DB9 cable hooked up to the Rigblaster through Comm6 but not connected. 
I'm just about ready to see if I can get some phone support from RB and HRD, but working straight 11 hours days kinda slows that down.  I was hoping to find some one who has the same hookup that could share their tales of success.  Or, has had success with a different interface? 

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

What are you trying to accomplish? Meaning which modes of operation are you attempting?
Which audio cables do you have hooked up to the Kenwood?
I assume all the internal RGPro jumpers are properly set?
No audio runs thru the serial ports of the Rigblaster Pro.
Bill, AA2UK
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »

you mention the "CW" light, digi modes use sideband, FT8 is USB...

set your mode to USB as in upper side band, turn on the vox, set the software
to use VOX....

Ray
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »

Are you trying to run WSJTX?
Bill, AA2UK
KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »

The CW light would be on the Rigblaster -
Mode is PSK31
Running HRD and DM780.
I will give the VOX a try.

I have had no joy with WSJT-X or FLDIGI.

Another cabling option I have not attempted is running a USB/DB9 cable to the Rigblaster, then a DB9 from the Rigblaster to the rig.

I would like to be able to run digital modes and voice without swapping cables and all, one of the reasons I opted for the RigBlaster Pro.

All the info I have able to dig up, from the manufacturer  and elsewhere on the interwebs,  it seems as the relationship with  Rigblaster and the Kenwood 480 is a weird one.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 05:03:24 AM »

Honestly I think the relationship between the RigBlaster Pro and any rig is a cluster.
As I mentioned in you're other thread the RB Pro is an audio pass through/ interface between the rig to the computer sound card.
It does allow you to switch between the rig's mic and data.
You don't even need to load the CD that comes with the Pro.
It does nothing to the Pro other then loading some data programs to your computer that can be had on the Web for free.
Bill, AA2UK
KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »

I am finding that out slowly but surely - The RB Pro seems to be more and more like a wonderfully sophisticated switchbox.

After I do a little outside work on my 40m EFHW, I'll be heading back into the shack to play some more with the RBP. 

If I am still having trouble, I may have something simple like a SignalLink on the bench...

KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »

Ready to throw the whole idea of digital work out the window - so many of my ham family make digital HF look like child's play, and I'm here banging my head against the wall!  Frustrating to see people working DX when I just copy the text, and when I do transmit I have nothing !! (Some RFI that my girlfriend loves, but I digress...)
Ugh -

KW9WK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »

Closer! Emailed WMR with my predicament, got a reply with a couple hours - Made a change to 1 setting in DM780, and we're working, both HRD and DM780!  Now to play with things a little more and get the RF output where it needs to be !

I will put up s separate posting regarding my adventure - The TS-480 is a little bit of unique machine -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: