The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how would a psk pile up work ?  (Read 844 times)
KC1GCG

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:43 AM »

Greetings all,
I have been warming up to using PSK and with some of the recent crummy band conditions have found it saving my "Ham Day" -
I'm curious how software (I am using HRD but guessing they all handle it the same?) handles it when more than one person responds to my CQ call - I'm am unaware of such happening yet ...just thinking forward... does my software simply grab the strongest signal or does it que them up and give them to me one after another?
Also assuming many of the other modes such as Olivia or Rtty would operate the same or would they not? I'v watched some youtubes in FT8 and see how that is different software wise. Will be trying that soon...I need to be in the right mood to try new software:)
Best regards
John K1JRF
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »

Greetings all,
I have been warming up to using PSK and with some of the recent crummy band conditions have found it saving my "Ham Day" -
I'm curious how software (I am using HRD but guessing they all handle it the same?) handles it when more than one person responds to my CQ call - I'm am unaware of such happening yet ...just thinking forward... does my software simply grab the strongest signal or does it que them up and give them to me one after another?
Also assuming many of the other modes such as Olivia or Rtty would operate the same or would they not? I'v watched some youtubes in FT8 and see how that is different software wise. Will be trying that soon...I need to be in the right mood to try new software:)
Best regards
John K1JRF

With PSK and RTTY all the software does is to decode and display. No Auto Seq, no Call 1st. Everything else is up to you.

Never used Olivia, so cannot comment on that.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »

Neither PSK31 or RTTY or Olivia do very well at decoding multiple signals on the same exact frequency.  FT8 will decode at least 2 signals on the same exact frequency.  On the first 3, if one signal is significantly stronger than the others it will often decode.  How well do you do at decoding signals on the same exact frequency either CW or SSB?  probably not all that well. No software is going to "que them up and offer them to you on a platter".  Rtty contests and DXpeditions will often ask the operators to spread out and work split.  Same as CW and SSB pileups.  When was the last time you got a pileup on PSK31 when you called CQ? I would wager it doesn't happen very often.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »

I've worked DXpeditions on RTTY and PSK where they just operated split; you leave the receiver on the DX's frequency and run your own TX frequency up or down as indicated.  Easy-peasy!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »

I've worked DXpeditions on RTTY and PSK where they just operated split; you leave the receiver on the DX's frequency and run your own TX frequency up or down as indicated.  Easy-peasy!

Yep, that is pretty much the answer.
KC1GCG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »

OK got it thanks folks
John K1JRF
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »

Greetings all,
Best regards
John K1JRF

With PSK and RTTY all the software does is to decode and display. No Auto Seq, no Call 1st. Everything else is up to you.

Never used Olivia, so cannot comment on that.

You should give Olivia a try sometime.  It really digs down in the noise.  It will work down to about -13.  Pretty good for a conversational mode.  Although some of the speeds are pretty slow.  Which suits some guys typing speed just fine. Smiley  But it is slower than say PSK31 and uses more bandwidth, but it is much more noise tolerant than PSK or RTTY.  Make sure to have your RSID (Reed Solomon Identification) turned on so that others will know what speed and bandwidth you are operating.   You don't need RSID for PSK or RTTY as everyone knows what they sound like, but you sure do for Olivia as there are so many different "flavors". 
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »

You should give Olivia a try sometime.
Not enough time to play radio to the fullest. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train coming towards me, it's retirement. Grin
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »

You should give Olivia a try sometime.
Not enough time to play radio to the fullest. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train coming towards me, it's retirement. Grin

I am already there...  Smiley
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »

I've seen some semi-rare DX stations use PSK63 instead of PSK31.  Not only is it faster, but makes it easier to figure out who wants to work the DX.

Zack W1VT
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »

I looked for PSK31 QSO just now on 20 40 and 80.  I heard 3 or 4 on 40 and worked one station, zero on 20 and zero on 80.  Your problem is not going to be a pile up on PSK31, your problem is finding anyone to answer your CQ on PSK31.  I can't believe how barren it has gotten in just a few months..FT8 has killed the crap out of PSK too!.  I have been on PSK in months. Maybe it will be better on the weekend.  But I remember when 20 meters was FULL of signals on 14.070.  Man...And before someone asks, no 20 is not dead.  There are bunches of FT8 signals on it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:52:03 PM by K0UA » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »

I looked for PSK31 QSO just now on 20 40 and 80.  I heard 3 or 4 on 40 and worked one station, zero on 20 and zero on 80.  Your problem is not going to be a pile up on PSK31, your problem is finding anyone to answer your CQ on PSK31.  I can't believe how barren it has gotten in just a few months..FT8 has killed the crap out of PSK too!.  I have been on PSK in months. Maybe it will be better on the weekend.  But I remember when 20 meters was FULL of signals on 14.070.  Man...And before someone asks, no 20 is not dead.  There are bunches of FT8 signals on it.

If the rate-killing macro-abusers have pulled up stakes, perhaps DXpeditions will return to PSK's combination of panoramic reception,speed, and modest (compared to RTTY) SNR requirements. Once upon a time, I worked 3B6, FR-J, PY0-T, TR, TZ, VK0-M, XF4, and ZS8 in PSK31 or PSK-63.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

If the rate-killing macro-abusers have pulled up stakes, perhaps DXpeditions will return to PSK's combination of panoramic reception,speed, and modest (compared to RTTY) SNR requirements. Once upon a time, I worked 3B6, FR-J, PY0-T, TR, TZ, VK0-M, XF4, and ZS8 in PSK31 or PSK-63.

Possibly. Time will tell.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 10:01:02 AM »

If you want to see a pile-up on PSK, go to those frequencies on field day.  The best part is if you are drinking some good sauce, when you start seeing double you will have twice the entertainment.
Art

KK7JS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »

One thing I like about hunting DX on PSK is that there usually aren't any pileups  Grin

And sometimes they answer your CQ.

I have encountered a few DXpeditions using PSK but operating split hasn't been the norm.

Just got into FT8 recently and there is definitely lots of activity for that mode.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: