The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse Beacon Network  (Read 411 times)
F8WBD

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »

I need real-world advice. Can you tell me what snr reading would be desired to initiate and complete a 2-way cw QSO. Must it be double-digit or would 5 or 6 or 7 do. Two competent cw operators operating at 13-16 wpm. Of course QRM and QRN conditions a factor. Thanks
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

I need real-world advice. Can you tell me what snr reading would be desired to initiate and complete a 2-way cw QSO. Must it be double-digit or would 5 or 6 or 7 do. Two competent cw operators operating at 13-16 wpm. Of course QRM and QRN conditions a factor. Thanks

Depending on a few factors, but tests show that minus 10dB is not a problem, i.e. 10dB below noise, and skilled experienced can even manage -13dB though not error free. So absolutely a minus number would be easy, not a plus number! I assume that the reason the RBN only has positive numbers is, because a DECODER cannot do what the human brain can do.

Another way of putting it: if the RBN has picked you up, a  non-robot would have NO problem as your signal would be ABOVE the noise level. BUT anyone can copy CW BELOW noise level -- having said that there ARE many people who just hate noise and only reply to CW when it is several S points ABOVE noise level, they just like things loud and with hifi quality.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »

Previous discussion:  http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,109178.0.html

Fabian

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

Thanks, please ignore my reply above, seems it is rather different from the way I understood it, and the above link explains it well.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: