The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No power out on IC-7600 and WSJT-X  (Read 655 times)
VA3TTB

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:24:14 PM »

I am a noobie to Windows 10 and need help with WSJT-X on a new computer and my Icom IC-7600. I've read the other postings about similar problems but still need help.
The issue is that, when attempting to transmit, the transceiver goes into transmit mode but the power output remains at 0% in spite of all my frustrated efforts over several long days.
The IC-7600 and computer are connected using an XGGCOMS connector. I believe it has nothing to do with this connector as the problem also occurs with my RigExpert TI-7 interface.
I don't think the problem is caused by the computer as the computer appears to be capable of all other aspects of CAT control, such as band and frequency changes. All other functions of WSJT-X work properly, such as the waterfall and the decoding of signals.
As well, I don't think it is related to the sound card, as the output meter on the Windows sound control panel shows 100% output in transmit mode. I wondered if it was a problem with the sound card built into the motherboard, but the problem persisted when I bought a Sound Blaster card. And yes, I have toggled the 'mute' switch on the keyboard to be certain the cat didn't hit it when he explores my desk.
The computer uses the Realtek digital output line from the motherboard, which is what WSJT-X is set to. The Realtek line-in works fine.
Increasingly, I think the problem is in how I have set up the IC-7600. Using the submenus, the USB-D1 input is set to both MIC and ACC, to pick up the sound signal from the sound card on the Icom's accessory connector. My RF output is set to 100%. I'm not sure what else to check.
The IC-7600 works just fine when I plug in a microphone and transmit on SSB. And WSJT-X worked just fine when my Macintosh was connected to the IC-7600, with over 3,000 QSOs on FT8. I migrated to Windows to run the wider range of ham software available for it. My 93-year old mother-in-law is now using my Mac and she won't give it back.
I appreciate your assistance.
Charles VA3TTB
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »

Did you load the ICOM drivers on the Windows machine?
You should be using the rig's rear USB connection for both CAT control and audio functions no special interface is needed between the rig and the computer.
In the ICOM MENU is USB Mod set to abt 50%, Data MIC and ACC is good, Data Mod should be USB.
You want CODEC under the sound card settings you want to use the 7600's built in sound card not the computer's.
If CODEC Icon's (TX&RX) are missing from the computer's sound card settings it sounds it like the ICOM drivers aren't loaded.
ICOM drivers found here,  https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-7600/usb1_20/ 
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:46:07 AM by AA2UK » Logged
VA3TTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »

Bill, thank you so much. I did not realize there were Icom drivers to be installed (dumb me!). I have set the menu settings as you suggested. It feels like I have made one step forward, but two back, as I have lost rig control by the computer. It may be a Hamlib error.
In the WSJT-X 'Radio' settings, when I set the rig to Icom IC-7600, the audio Codec settings appear. The Windows audio control panel shows an audio signal coming in to the computer, and the computer decodes the signals, though nothing appears on the waterfall.
However, the computer does not appear to be exerting any CAT control with the serial port set to 'USB' or to COM4 (where the USB port is assigned). When I hit the 'Test CAT' button, I get the error message "Rig failure. Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig". I have reinstalled the Hamlib library a couple of times, using the version from Sept 2015 ("Windows 32 DLL and Hamlib utilities"). No amount of fiddling with the other 'Radio' settings gets around this error message.
If I start Ham Radio Deluxe, the rig control on HRD appears to control the Icom properly. Under WSJT-X setting for 'Radio', if I select 'Ham Radio Deluxe' as a network server (127.0.0.1) instead of the Icom, WSJT-X decodes the signals and the waterfall display works. However, when I hit 'Test CAT', the button does not change colour, the transceiver does not go into 'transmit' mode and nothing happens.
I am sorry to bother you with my problem, but I covet the expertise availble here -- I am certainly in over my head!
Charles VA3TTB
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

I'll start by saying I know -0- about HRD.
The audio drivers must be loaded into the computer, for audio to pass. The rig must be off and disconnected when loading the drivers. The CODEC will be in WSJTX but it needs to show up in your computer.
Now to get CAT control from WSJTX set the radio to Menu/ USB serial funtion should be CI=V, next CI-V Transceive set to ON, I believe CI-V address should be set 80h, CI-V Baud is set to 4800 then exit.
With WSJTX running (hit F2) then the radio tab,  Serial is set to COM4 (it's possible your COM port could be different), DATA BITS set to 8, STOP BITS set to 2, Baud rate 4800, Handshake is NONE, PTT Method is CAT, MODE is None, there's no longer a need to set the Radio for split, set to None.
Then click the TEST CAT button it should after what seems like forever turn Green, then Test PTT it should turn Red and key the transmitter (no power out during the PTT test) then click PTT test again to disable. Next to save and exit click the lower right corner box OK.
That should get your CAT control back.
Your audio settings should show up after you install the computer drivers. These are not radio drivers they are used to create 2 Icons under the Sound Card toolbar (labeled CODEC) these will be found under the Record (RX) and Playback (TX) tabs. The levels are then individually set at the computer with the radio turned on and WSJTX running.
I hope this helps some.
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:43:52 AM by AA2UK » Logged
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »

Make sure you have the latest version of WSJTX loaded.
Bill, AA2UK
W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

Perhaps another thing to try is to simply use a speaker or headset hooked to the sound card out line that you have connected to the radio.  When you click the TEST button in WSJT-X, do you get an audio tone?  If so, then you know that you're sending in an audio tone to the radio and then if power = 0%, the trouble would be with the connection between the sound card and the 7600.  This is a simple check and perhaps you've already done it.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Here are instructions from ICOM for loading the USB drivers for the 7600.
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-7600/1_00/IC-7600_Installation_Guide_E_0.pdf
Bill, AA2UK
VA3TTB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »

Bill, thank you so very much for your help. It works! As you implied, the problem lay within the setup parameters of the IC-7600 (and the fact that I had no Icom drivers installed). I feel like a kid with a new toy!
I think my mistake was in the setting for the DATA1 mode. In case others have a similar problem, here are the settings on my Icom-7600:
Under ACC menu:
USB Mod Level  -  50%
Data Off Mode  -  MIC, ACC
DATA1 MOD  -  USB
Under OTHERS menu:
CI-V Baud Rate  -  Auto
CI-V Address  -  7Ah
CI-V Transceive  -  Auto
USB Serial Function  -  CI-V
Decode Baud Rate  -  19,200 (likely irrelevant)
On the configuration menu on WSJT-X, my settings are:
Rig:  Icom IC-7600
Serial Port:  COM4  (where my USB is assigned)
Baud Rate: 19,200  (this could probably be higher)
8 Data Bits, 1 Stop Bit, No Handshake
DTR and RTS force control lines: blank
PTT Method: CAT
Transmit Audio Source: greyed out
Mode: None
Split Operation: None (at this time)
73 et GD DXing!
Charles VA3TTB
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »

Charles, I'm glad I could at least point you in the right direction. I have an Icom IC-7410 so our settings are similar (although the hamlib rig ID is different). I run WSJT-X mostly on 630 meters (Rx only for now) and 6 meters through 432mHz. I think you'll find that you can operate split without enabling it in the rig however the best way I've found to do split is setting WSJTX to fake it under Rig.
I forgot to mention if you aren't currently running a timing program try Dimension 4. Timing is pretty critical for FT8 and most of the modes, actually all of them.
73, Bill
AA2UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: