The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM-706 not switching off  (Read 491 times)
OK2PEN

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:57 AM »

Gentlemen I started to have problem with ICOM-706. When I connect it to power (battery or pwr supply with 13.9V) the radio switches ON without pressing the POWER button. It does NOT switch OFF pressing the POWER button as well. Please can someone tell me what  can be wrong. Also as the radio switches ON without pressing the POWER button it is not possible to do its hard reset. Thank you. Dalibor OK2PEN (PY2ZEN)
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »

My guess would be if the switch is a mechanical type, it may be stuck in "ON" position which means you may need a replacement switch.  If it is a soft type of switch with conductive material on the back side then something maybe across the contact points on the circuit board.  Seems like a good time to open up the radio and look inside or send it back to Icom.

Update - found the service manual on line and the switch is a mechanical push button switch soldered to a circuit board so may have a stuck contact, if so a replacement is required.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:08:48 AM by KC9NVP » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »

An ohmmeter connected to each side of the switch will answer this question PDQ!  Switch on-switch off.  Ohmmeter doesn't change?  Bad switch!
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »

Place a SPST switch in the power supply lead if you don't want to dig into the radio.  Might try spraying some contact cleaner around the edges of the button into the radio and see if the switch is possibly just dirty...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »

BB:  Great answer!
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

Also check some menu settings, try a master reset.  Sometimes the power switches have a automatic power on or off function and you might see if there is anything in there about that...doubt it  but worth doing a reset.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: