The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The top supplying country is China, which supply 100% of yaesu ft-857"  (Read 558 times)
NR9R

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »

I wonder if this is accurate.  Is the FT-857D now manufactured in China?

I stumbled upon an FT-857D listing in Alibaba (https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/yaesu-ft--857d.html).  Under "About product and suppliers"  it states:
...The top supplying country is China (Mainland), which supply 100% of yaesu ft-857d respectively. Yaesu ft-857d products are most popular in Northern Europe, Western Europe, and North America. You can ensure product safety by selecting from certified suppliers, including 8 with ISO9001, 5 with Other certification.

Under the product overview for the FT-857D:

This is not necessarily a good or bad thing for the end user (the supplier, Yaesu, should set quality standards regardless of where products are manufactured) but a curiosity as HF transceivers from the Japanese brands have typically been manufactured there as well.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »

Well, my 2004 vintage Kenwood TS-2000X was manufactured in Singapore, so maybe Japanese offshoring isn't exactly a new thing...

.....but 539,000 US Dollars?  for what?

Anyway, it might also be possible that manufacturers use multiple manufacturing sites for their products.  I wonder if an original Japanese-made FT-857D will become a collector's item then?

73, Ed VE3WGO
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-270 and FT-60, both manufactured in China and there is absolutely no difference between them and the ones made in Japan.  Same with the Beats headphones I have (manufactured in Shenzen, China.)  Extremely high quality...
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Something that has gone on for a long time is Chinese companies offshoring to India! If they offshore under the table then we have no real idea where things are made. 3D printing is advancing rapidly, we should be able to print out the equivalent of a pcb with the soldered parts and cases with controls eventually.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: