The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replace/move OE6 on an XP machine to Win 7 Pro 64  (Read 1724 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »

I want to move all my XP SP3 OE6 messages, address book, etc. I already have online email for other purposes.

I see these possible options and looking for comments. I DO NOT want to learn something different.

https://runasxp.com/Topic-Outlook-Express-for-windows-7-8-and-10-DOWNLOAD

OR

https://www.oeclassic.com/ar-outlook-express-windows-7

Carl
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

If I understand it right, you'd just need to use one of those mail programs, and also transfer your mail files from the old machine to the new on, probably by using a USB thumb drive.  Which means you need to know where the folders are, and should go.  

I also hate having to learn another software package that does the same function as an old one.  It's a real PITA. 
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »

If you dont want to learn something different your using the wrong OS. Microsoft is going to force you to learn to do things their way so they can "hook" you in . It sounds like they've already got you with OE ...those other programs are Methadone for OE "users" .

The only program you need is a 12 step program.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »

Geez that's a little thick . . . It doesn't matter what OS you use, Windows, MacOS, or Linux. As new versions come out, things change in all of them and you have to learn some new things. Windows isn't worse than any others in that regard.

OP's problem is Outlook Express is no longer an option on Win 7 or Win 10. You have to move to something, and unfortunately there will be some learning. It's just the way it is.

The easiest thing to do might be to migrate to Microsoft Live mail program. Maybe like this: https://www.lifewire.com/import-settings-from-outlook-express-in-windows-live-mail-1172629

AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »

Geez that's a little thick . . . It doesn't matter what OS you use, Windows, MacOS, or Linux. As new versions come out, things change in all of them and you have to learn some new things. Windows isn't worse than any others in that regard.

OP's problem is Outlook Express is no longer an option on Win 7 or Win 10. You have to move to something, and unfortunately there will be some learning. It's just the way it is.

The easiest thing to do might be to migrate to Microsoft Live mail program. Maybe like this: https://www.lifewire.com/import-settings-from-outlook-express-in-windows-live-mail-1172629

Total garbage. You've obviously never run Linux before . you can continue to use the same software year after year as long as it will compile. The software belongs to you its publicly licensed . Microsoft forces changes and updates , usually whether you want them or not. Linux doesnt . Windows belongs to Microsoft, supported or discontinued at their will not yours.     
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »

Total garbage. You've obviously never run Linux before . you can continue to use the same software year after year as long as it will compile. The software belongs to you its publicly licensed . Microsoft forces changes and updates , usually whether you want them or not. Linux doesnt . Windows belongs to Microsoft, supported or discontinued at their will not yours.     

Yes, to a point.  I would never recommend a version of Linux that has passed its EOL date.  Some, like Mint, Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, and Red Hat/CentOS, have long-term support, and are updated for 3 to 7 years.  Others, like the too-popular (IMHO) Fedora, are only good for 12 to 18 months.  That short shelf life is why I never recommend Fedora for anything other than short-term testing.  It's designed to be a test bed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, not for use by the general public.

None of them just lay down and die once they're EOL'ed (after all, you can still download and use Slackware 1 if you want to), of course, but with no security updates, I wouldn't use them on the Interwebs.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »

That's really funny. My main work laptop is one that triple boots 3 Linux distributions. I do update my Linux installs so I see versions of things change. I use Evolution for email and it's changed a bit over the time I have been using it, so yes things do change in Linux also, they don't stay the same.  There is no need to compile applications for Linux anymore.  Those days are pretty much gone, unless you want to hang onto something old, or find something that's not in a repo somewhere which is getting more difficult.

If you are hanging onto an old Linux distro version and not patching, then that's like hanging on to Win XP. You are asking for trouble when you get hit by some vulnerability.

AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »

Yes, to a point.  I would never recommend a version of Linux that has passed its EOL date.  Some, like Mint, Ubuntu, Slackware, Debian, and Red Hat/CentOS, have long-term support, and are updated for 3 to 7 years.  Others, like the too-popular (IMHO) Fedora, are only good for 12 to 18 months.  That short shelf life is why I never recommend Fedora for anything other than short-term testing.  It's designed to be a test bed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, not for use by the general public.

None of them just lay down and die once they're EOL'ed (after all, you can still download and use Slackware 1 if you want to), of course, but with no security updates, I wouldn't use them on the Interwebs.

I whole heartedly agree , I started with Fedora 17 and ended with Fed 20 ... 5 years is about the max. ubuntu /debian LTS,s are supported for 5years. I changed to ubuntu 14.04 LTS to avoid having to upgrade every 12 months . Usually the thing that forces an update on Linux is security , SSLs, ect but you dont have too. and if the machine is not used on the net or email then its not as necessary. I don't even download emails . I don't even have an email client. .   I just use Gmail its safer.

As far as compiling goes if you want the latest version , you have to get it and compile from source if no .deb or .rpm which is usually the case with specialty programs  .You'll also need to compile it from source when the deb or rpm doesnt work(error messages).  Binaries in the repos are ancient history ...gcc is 4.9 in the LTS repo right now . debian its 6.X , Most of the binaries look to be based on 2-3 year old versions.

I compile probably 10 -100 times a times a day depending. Ive got about 4-6 Linux machines ...Ive lost count ...Ooo theres one.

My main point is that even if it is EOL 'd , if you have a program thats talking to you ancient TS-Whatever or FT-Whatever or ur HP-analyzer from 19XX you can continue at YOUR discretion.

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

I DO NOT want to learn something different.

I didn't either but I bit the bullet and went with Thunderbird.  I am glad that I did now.

Mark N1UK
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

Ive been with MS since the DOS days and Windows since 3.1. Rather than whine, kick and fuss about MS like the less savvy I learned how to use what I had.

Now, there are OE clones available as I listed in Post 1 but apparently the whiners are still clueless and offer solutions I dont want and specifically didnt ask for.
Last chance for the more intelligent, has anyone tried those programs?

Mark, I will look into T-Bird.

Carl
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »

I understand where you are coming from. I had OE before but then I went to WIndows Live Mail 2012. 
Now move forward to 2017 and while WIndows Live 2012 still works, it only works well if you have a system where your font scaling is at 100%.  My laptop which has a 4k display but using 200% font scaling, makes a mess of Windows Live mail.
So I either have to use the trash that comes with Windows 7 (takes forever to sync, you think they would know how to code an email client by now) or give up on email on my laptop.  I chose the latter.

VA2FSQ
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »

Microsoft discontinued Windows Live Mail nearly a year ago, so if you need to repair/reinstall you are out of luck.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »

The local Senile Citizens Center had Live Mail and I, and others, absolutely detested it.
I convinced the director to use the Comcast Email which is far more secure than other online versions.

Everyone is happy Roll Eyes

Carl

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

it's a bit tricky to directly replace either OE6 or Live Mail,,
but, if you can live without your already created folders in OE6,
and are also prepared to receive loads of older eMails,
then you can use a replacement program like T/bird.

but, if you do that, then the new program, will need to sync itself,
with your eMail server, and potentially, download a whole heap of older eMails.
& then you will need to sort this lot out, somewhat, & back into those folders again.

it does take some effort, to move to another eMail program,
and as long as that is not, too often, then that's doable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: