The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI nightmare  (Read 768 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »

I live in a second floor apartment that is a remodeled 1874 home s9=e.  It is part of a church.  I recently tried a mag loop in my apartment and the noise floor is about s8+  I need help! Any suggestions? Would an AC line filter be helpful?
 What ferrite mix?

Anybody have any extra ferrites or other devices?

Randy ka4nma
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »

Of course an outside ( preferably balanced )antenna as far from the building as you can practically put it would probably help a lot. Barring that, have you tried to turn off the building power and run the radio off of battery power to see what happens to the noise floor? You need to find the emitter/emitters. And turning off the power is the place to start.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »

You're sitting in a swimming pool and asking for an umbrella.  'fraid that when you're right next to likely emitters, you either need to turn them off or get away from them.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:29:21 AM »

QRP from the park will resolve those issues easily!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »

You're sitting in a swimming pool and asking for an umbrella.  'fraid that when you're right next to likely emitters, you either need to turn them off or get away from them.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Mark, that is a heck of a good analogy.  I need to remember that one.  Smiley
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

remotehams.com is another solution. I can work FT8 with it. There is little difference between that and having the rig at my position, with digital you rarely look at the rig...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »

remotehams.com is another solution. I can work FT8 with it. There is little difference between that and having the rig at my position, with digital you rarely look at the rig...

Interesting you mention that.  I was parked for 3 hours at a Medicare seminar this morning, and no one came in so I used teamviewer 12 to remote into my station back home. I used my smartphone to work a few stations on FT8.  As you said, you don't need audio with it and you don't really need to look at the rig either.  I changed bands several times, but the autotune in the rig takes care of "trimming" the antenna, and WSJT-x does the rest.  The smartphone screen is pretty small, a tablet or PC would have done better, but the screen is very sharp so I could see everything as well as pinch/zoom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: