The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lousy Ear Ham needs Ultra Clear HF Transceiver  (Read 2894 times)
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »

In my posts I did not want to shoot down all higher cost headsets for all operators just because I am satisfied with more modest units.  One of the higher cost headsets I did keep was my Arlan Communications Radiosport model.  I think the headset only, without the boom mike, is now around $160.  It sounds very nice on CW and SSB, but high audio frequencies are rolled off (I thinki above 9 kHz)...so not good for the stereo set.  It would be just great for a multi operator (noisy) contest station since it has passive noise reduction (big bulky and slightly heavy and hot structures and pads) instead of active noise reduction which is done electronically.  I usually opt for a lighter weight, cooler, headset.  The 24 dB of noise reduction is nice for some folks, but I never want to miss a dinner call !!   I am not distracted by background noise, but something similar to this headset might be a significant help for some folks.
I ordered mine on line directly, but perhaps you could try one out at HRO or other ham store which carries them, and possibly try a demo model.
Many SSB operators like a good headset with boom mike, and various companies including some of the transceiver manufacturers make them.
I agree with one of the suggestions for a speaker....get a SEALED unit...not one with open holes in the back.  Elecraft for example makes a nice unit, but it is expensive and most of us do just fine with less expensive, or even thrift store bargains.  There have been many posts on the internet and some hams even like some of the inexpensive Radio Shack models better than more expensive options.
I mentioned electronic noise cancellation headsets.  I would not jump into this area without lots of research.  Anytime you do any signal processing such as audio or IF filters, noise blankers, noise cancelling headsets, etc. etc. this introduces distortion, which in some cases can cause more harm than good. 
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 04:35:04 AM »

Thanks all. I will buy equalizer & Hi-Fi speaker.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »

I suggest some experiments.   Ears and hearing and the brain relationship is complex.  I have SSNHL in one ear.   The other normal.

I havent' tried this particular software, but this would allow you to plug your ham rig into a laptop, and then tailor the freq response, maybe even L to R differentially. 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

I would tend to want to drive headphones, at least initially. 
It's best to start with audiograms of your ears, if you have them.   Then, basically try to make adjustments in the equilizer to accomodate, and drive headphones with it.  Of course, your brain has done some accomodation of your ears, so this may not be an instantaneous fix. 
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »

I am 50% Deaf in both ears & some of that is tone deafness.I use a ClearSpeech DSP Base Module on every transceiver I own that operates SSB & AM so I have no issues with noise including in my mobile where I use a ClearSpeech DSP External Speaker.I listen to a lot of YouTube videos of stations on SSB & AM & wonder how the listeners can stand all of the noise? Just the white noise on some is so bad I don't even watch the entire video.I even use these DSP units on my ICOM 7600 & YES it even makes it much better at getting rid of noise.I have demonstrated the units to many friends here in my Ham Shack & most all of them now own & use the units on their stations because they really work.Noise makes listening stressful & far from a joy so get yourself a good DSP unit or DSP Speaker & make listening a joy again.FYI,these units work equally well with Boat Anchor & Modern rigs & that's a big plus.  Grin

God Bless,
Clayton
W4KVW
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:54:27 PM by W4KVW » Logged
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

WB4SPT's idea of initially adjusting the response (either with the rig's built in equalizer or with an external unit) to make your hearing between approximately 200 Hz and 3 kHz flat.  However even folks with flat hearing curves may benefit from either increasing or decreasing certain audio frequency bands.  Perhaps boosting say 1000 Hz or 2400 Hz may help a particular person....just experiment.  Some transceivers have good rx and tx equalizers built in, so external units may or may not help.  The same with some DSP noise reduction schemes.  So W4KVW's external unit idea possibly could be a big help with some transceivers, but may not be necessary with other transceivers.  I have no experience with ham transceiver add on DSP or analog equalizers or noise reduction schemes, except in some of my home built gear I have shaped the audio response for better audio.
   Often older receivers just did not sound good on SSB.  For good sounding SSB (It will never sound quite as good as good AM to my ears) the receiver needs good opposite sideband suppression, a good product detector, adequate BFO injection, and a reasonable SSB filter bandwidth and shape. Also reasonable bandspread tune rate for easy tuning.  Probably something like the Elecraft 2.8 kHz filter would be ideal, although my 2.7 kHz is satisfactory for my ears.  Naturally if you really want to dig down deep in a contest instead of a concern for audio quality a more narrow filter is indicated.  To be honest, a 5 or 10 killobuck transceiver is probably not really necessary and I have listened to much less expensive transceivers which sounded just fine on SSB to my non critical ears....just my opinion.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: