The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: France Copied By Midwest WSPR Reporters on 630  (Read 534 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »

Spent a lot of time watching WSPR spots last night and saw that F5WK was printed by KA9CFD in western Illinois and SWL/K9 in Indiana aound 0330Z. The French station, transmitting with one watt, was -24 in Illinois. That's the first I've noticed that a European station had been printed in the interior of the US. Interestingly, not many east coast stations reported  F5WK around that time. 

KA9CFD usually hears remarkably well. What's his antenna? Apparently just an E-Probe!
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:36:53 AM »

I also decoded F5WK a few days before, in Central TX, a bit further than IL.  I'm using a 20ft active antenna (E-probe), several hundred ft from the house.  Nothing special.  I have a fairly quiet location in a semi-rural area.  wsprnet.org will sort according to distance or timestamp so you can see the best dx for a certain call.  VK4YB has some of the longest, decoded all over NA.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »

I hadn't noticed your reception before. 7962 Km is remarkable over so much land. 

"2017-11-29 03:12     F5WK     0.475777     -27     0     IN99ef     1     K5DN     EL19aw     7962     295 "

Describe your "20ft active antenna (E-probe)."

KA9CFD is also in a rural area. He almost always hears better than I do even tho he's only 180 miles from me. He seems to have the best ears in the midwest on 630.  I'm trying to make some station improvements, without moving to a farm. Smiley   
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »

I also decoded F5WK a few days before, in Central TX

That is amazing. My own decodes are typically 10 dB weaker than those who decode me - I clearly need a better rx antenna and am starting to realize that an effective rx station on 630m is far more difficult to achieve than an effective tx station - the opposite of what I had previously thought.

Also, it would be very helpful if active 630m stations (tx, rx, trx) put their station description (particularly antenna info) on their qrz.com bio page.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:18:36 AM by AE5X » Logged

K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »

The RX antenna is 20ft of EMT conduit with my home-brew amplifier at the bottom.  It was designed for 160m arrays where phase and amplitude matching were important;  overkill for a single element.  It's mounted on a 3ft piece of T-post driven into the ground.  Several hundred ft from the house, other buildings and power lines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: