The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP6D - DUCIE ISLAND  (Read 4169 times)
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »

Actually, it was KB8GAE who mentioned the QSL book. I've never seen anything like. Yep, 36 pages counting the front and rear cover. For those who haven't seen it, here's a small sample.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »

Actually, it was KB8GAE who mentioned the QSL book. I've never seen anything like. Yep, 36 pages counting the front and rear cover. For those who haven't seen it, here's a small sample.

Thank you for posting. A QSL to remember!
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

Does anyone know if the entire QSL has been scanned and uploaded? I would love to read it Smiley And indeed it looks like a QSL card for the record books.

John K7KB
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »

Does anyone know if the entire QSL has been scanned and uploaded? I would love to read it Smiley And indeed it looks like a QSL card for the record books.

John K7KB

John,

Here is a link and be sure to use the link at the bottom of the first page to check out the second.

http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/Ducie_Island/vp6dx.htm

73's  Rich  KB8GAE

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »

I could use them on 10m FM and 60 meters, if they are doing either.

73 John AF5CC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »

VP6DX was one for the record books.

I'm very surprised how many serious-DXer ops still need VP6D for a new one.  Should be fun.

I agree. But with the rise of the MegaDXpeditions, that statement will soon be true for everyone with more than a half-dozen years in the hobby. How many folks here either cleaned out completely or came darned close with other ultra-rare maga operations? Navassa, Desecheo, Libya, Iran, Malpelo, Amsterdam, Tromelin, Glorioso, Aves, Rivella Gigedo, South Sandwich/Georgia/Orkney, Peter I, Heard, Auckland-Campbell, Yemen (!), VU4, VU7, etc? In 10 or even 20 years from now, only the newbies will need most of those, even on 160 and 10.

When I first got in to the hobby, if you found a guy who worked a VU4, VU7, ZA or BY, on both CW *and* phone, they were basically spoken of in hushed and revered tones. Today it's "Oh, South Orkney? Yeah, I don't need it anywhere either." Definitely a GoodThingâ„¢ for us, but the mystique is quickly going away.

And I'm predicting that in less than a decade, anybody just starting out seriously today, and who has a simple amp and a Hexbeam will be between 325 and Honor Roll, with 7-, 8-, and 9-band/3-mode DXCC being comically easy. Is that a bad thing? No, but it takes the lustre off those plaques that used to be lifetime achievements for the generations before us.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
VU2CDP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »

..... but the mystique is quickly going away.....

.... it takes the lustre off those plaques that used to be lifetime achievements for the generations before us.

Amen. Throw in FT8 and DXCC Challenge is within reach of everyone. You don't need to invest in antennas or work on your operating skills anymore.

Staying on topic, VP6DX was my first real DX too. Worked on 20m phone when all i had a was dipole for 20m and 100w. Should be workable 15m and below.

Deepak VU2CDP

EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 03:28:07 AM »

Any chance they would go to Peter 1 instead,  Grin
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 06:09:36 AM »

Slightly off topic.  I also need Desecheo and Midway for ATNOs.  Does anyone else here need them too besides me and KM4SII Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »

Slightly off topic.  I also need Desecheo and Midway for ATNOs.  Does anyone else here need them too besides me and KM4SII Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

Could certainly use those as well... on CW, Phone, and Digi. Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
KK7JS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »

Slightly off topic.  I also need Desecheo and Midway for ATNOs.  Does anyone else here need them too besides me and KM4SII Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

Desecheo yes - was off the air at the time. It's possible that one will get deleted someday if the administration of it gets turned over to KP4.

Worked K4M a couple of times back in 2009. Maybe the guys going to KH1 will stop over there on the way back, though I would prefer it if they went to KH7K which I need for an ATNO. Both are more than a little out of their way but perhaps KH3 is a possibility...?  Grin
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »

Amen. Throw in FT8 and DXCC Challenge is within reach of everyone. You don't need to invest in antennas or work on your operating skills anymore.

How I wish that was true.

It certainly makes it easier to make QSOs with less significant equipment.  However, there are still many times and places where I have needed every bit of my pretty good station to make the Q even on FT8.

Right now, for instance, I am trying to work VU on zone 22 on 80m, which would nearly complete all 200 zones of 5BWAZ for me.  A couple of your colleagues have been very patient and helpful in terms of trying at their grey line or mine.  Yet, after repeated tries, we have only done decodes in one direction or the other and only on JT65.  It's that polar absorption thing.  Have barely seen traces on the "JT" modes.  I think it will work, but things have to be just right.  Have heard absolutely nothing on CW.

For this path, I'm going to need every advantage I can get.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:02:50 AM by WO7R » Logged
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »

And I'm predicting that in less than a decade, anybody just starting out seriously today, and who has a simple amp and a Hexbeam will be between 325 and Honor Roll, with 7-, 8-, and 9-band/3-mode DXCC being comically easy.

If that turns out to be true, then what will inevitably happen is that we'll all adapt.  We'll raise the bar.  (Or, maybe, our kids will).

HR is now too easy?  Then DXCC Challenge at 3000 will become the thing to shoot at.  Anyone who thinks that is easy even with "the JT modes" isn't paying attention.

Maybe new operating awards that account for the difficulty of the path.  For instance, I worked ZS on midsummer on 80m on JT65.  That wasn't "comically easy".  It was fun.  And, it took more than simply turning on the rig to accomplish.  It also took more than an attic dipole for a setup.

In the end, we (or our kids, more likely) will speak in hushed tones about something else.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »

For this path, I'm going to need every advantage I can get.

I think the advantage you need is an east coast QTH.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything in the WAZ rules against a second QTH in the same country, you would still be "Traditional" category. Even a modest east coast station can work 8Q pretty much every year when it's activated, just visit one of us.

And of course you could remote in the same country and still get 5BWAZ in the "Remote" category.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:16:11 AM by N3QE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »

If that turns out to be true, then what will inevitably happen is that we'll all adapt.  We'll raise the bar.  (Or, maybe, our kids will).

HR is now too easy?  Then DXCC Challenge at 3000 will become the thing to shoot at.  Anyone who thinks that is easy even with "the JT modes" isn't paying attention.

My personal goal for the next solar cycle, is 5BDXCC in a single weekend. Both N3RS and K3WW did it in 2014: https://www.cqww.com/results/2014_cq_ww_dx_cw_results.pdf

Remember the vast majority of HF-active hams never even get to base DXCC.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:17:17 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: