The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP6D - DUCIE ISLAND  (Read 4214 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »

I think the advantage you need is an east coast QTH.

I have thought along those lines.  Maybe someone has a nice rent-a-shack in the Carolinas I could use in December.

As far as doing it here goes, supposedly, the best conditions for the year will take place soon.  If that doesn't work, my other option is to finish the four square for 80 I have in mind.  Right now, and I mean "this week", it is almost working with a single, full sized vertical.  If there is a day where conditions are about 3 to 5 dB better (quieter) than they now are, it would work.

I also need zone 21 to finish the whole thing, but am currently focused on zone 22 as it appears to be the harder of the two.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »

My personal goal for the next solar cycle, is 5BDXCC in a single weekend. Both N3RS and K3WW did it in 2014: https://www.cqww.com/results/2014_cq_ww_dx_cw_results.pdf

Remember the vast majority of HF-active hams never even get to base DXCC.

That's my goal as well, but not in a weekend, in a lifetime. 5BDXCC is what I remember as the pinnacle of hamradio when I was a kid. I don't recall reading about Honor Roll, and the WARC bands were not even a dream, maybe.

The past CQWW CW allowed me to complete 40M DXCC for 4BDXCC. Focus will be on 80M now. Will I achieve that, considering my station and QTH, probably not. The upside is that I won't need another hobby if I fullfilled the goal. Grin
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »

My personal goal for the next solar cycle, is 5BDXCC in a single weekend. Both N3RS and K3WW did it in 2014: https://www.cqww.com/results/2014_cq_ww_dx_cw_results.pdf

That's my goal as well, but not in a weekend, in a lifetime. 5BDXCC is what I remember as the pinnacle of hamradio when I was a kid. I don't recall reading about Honor Roll, and the WARC bands were not even a dream, maybe.

The past CQWW CW allowed me to complete 40M DXCC for 4BDXCC. Focus will be on 80M now. Will I achieve that, considering my station and QTH, probably not. The upside is that I won't need another hobby if I fullfilled the goal. Grin
Take it One band at a time, for the first six, after then one step at a time?

Obie N5VYS
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »

Take it One band at a time, for the first six, after then one step at a time?

Obie N5VYS

Game plan for the next few years:

a) Work on 80M. With only 19 entities confirmed, there is room for growth;
b) Complete CW DXCC, 18 entities to go. Mixed, Phone, and Digital in the bag already;
c) 5BWAS. HI and AK on 80 will be 'fun';
d) Triple Play;
e) DXCC Challenge at 1000.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:47:49 PM by VA3VF » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »

My personal goal for the next solar cycle, is 5BDXCC in a single weekend. Both N3RS and K3WW did it in 2014

I came fairly close myself a few years back. Maybe in the same contest. Over 100 on 10 through 40, and 77 or something like that on 80. That was wild. I think I topped 3M in that one.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »

VA3VF, what is your antenna setup for 80 meters? 
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »

VA3VF, what is your antenna setup for 80 meters?  

....whispering....a Hustler 6BTV at ground level, with two random length radials. The backyard is 15x30 ft...you did not hear it from me.  Grin
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »

Slightly off topic.  I also need Desecheo and Midway for ATNOs.  Does anyone else here need them too besides me and KM4SII Cheesy

Don't need Desecheo (worked it on 7 bands), but still need Midway.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »

I did 10M WAS during the 2014 10M contest after getting 5B WAS during this solar cycle.

I've found that CW is still by far the most effective mode for working new challenge points.
As I have 2228 Challenge points, new ones just don't show up very often on the digital modes.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:36:42 PM by W1VT » Logged
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:27 AM »

i worked vp6 pitcairn on 80m  bu need this for a new one  10m would put a smileon m face but any band will do then slots
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 05:04:56 AM »

My personal goal for the next solar cycle, is 5BDXCC in a single weekend. Both N3RS and K3WW did it in 2014

I came fairly close myself a few years back. Maybe in the same contest. Over 100 on 10 through 40, and 77 or something like that on 80. That was wild. I think I topped 3M in that one.

I got 89 mults this year on 80M in that weekend, even though most of my dark hours were spent on 40M instead of 80M. If I used the DXCC list instead of CQ list that would drop a couple. I will have to look at N3RS and K3WW log and see how they did it (other than just "SO2R") and if they were over 100 by DXCC list or by CQ list. Even though it's a CQ contest I'm thinking to claim "DXCC in one weekend" it would have to be real DXCC's and not the expanded CQ list.
K5GS

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 05:37:08 AM »

i worked vp6 pitcairn on 80m  bu need this for a new one  10m would put a smileon m face but any band will do then slots

I received several e-mails about operation from Pitcairn Island.

While we "might" stop at Pitcairn for a few hours during the trip back to Mangareva, there is no plan to operate radio.

We do have a license for Pitcairn, if that plan changes we'll announce in the DX bulletins.

Cheers,
GS
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:45 AM »

Funny thing is that the only band I have Pitcairn Island on is 10m  Smiley

K2FW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

VP6DX was one for the record books.
And I'm predicting that in less than a decade, anybody just starting out seriously today, and who has a simple amp and a Hexbeam will be between 325 and Honor Roll, with 7-, 8-, and 9-band/3-mode DXCC being comically easy. Is that a bad thing? No, but it takes the lustre off those plaques that used to be lifetime achievements for the generations before us.

With the ARRL now counting QSO's that Hams no longer have to hear,  it may be easier then you think.
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:56 AM »

Maybe or maybe not?

Obie N5VYS
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: