The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Censures Dick Norton, N6AA  (Read 2528 times)
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »

It's stuff like this, and going to my first club meeting last month shortly after getting licensed through that clubs testing only to spend an hour listening to them discussing and voting on having to pay $100 a month rent for their club facilities, and then getting stuck listening to a fired vice director spew about the organization (I had enough after about half an hour and walked out), that has killed any interest I would have had in joining the ARRL or probably even a local club.  They send me a lot of mail looking for 45 bucks, but with all this BS going on, there's not a snowballs chance in heck they're ever going to see a penny from me.

Might still join a local club because one has cool hats and I could really use an Elmer, but the ARRL? No way.

When you long time hams talk about what's killing the hobby, you should look at stuff like this.  From the newbie perspective, it's quite off-putting.

First, W6EM ... tl;dr   how about a cliffs notes

Anyway, I agree with this noob. Being an OF, I suspect the change in culture at ARRL is reflective of the talent available driven by the major FCC rule changes several years ago. Those rule changes added more licensed hams helping the hobby. The talent available to run for positions and run the ARRL reflect the majority opinion willing to vote, members or not.

I write this being a guy that was never a joiner in the first place. I am a child of the 60s, in spades. I even shaved my mustache because "everyone had one!" LOL    Boy Scouts was the last thing I joined. A club of any sort never appealed to me. No frats in school or any of that crap. I was a GDI, gamma delta iota, aka god d@mn independant. Like I said, a child of the 60s. Maybe this is why I don't like contests and the minimal info exchanged. I think there should be a contest genre that requires a 10 minute minimal exchange that requires evidence of personal info exchange that cannot be easily mimicked via computer.

With all of that said, I have been an ARRL Life Member for >40years. I have a pin that says so. All I can say is that they are not constantly pestering me to do some thing. Be active! yawn   They have given me a view port on the technology that developed over the decades ... just don't expect much depth (don't be toooo technical in your expectations).

I have exceeded my limit on number of words!!
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »

"tldr;" commonly or only used by the lazy, the illiterate or the careless. Every word from OP has been important and serious.
But you then DQRM with small talk about your private life that is irrelevant. <yawn> indeed. QSY, TU.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

When you long time hams talk about what's killing the hobby, you should look at stuff like this.  From the newbie perspective, it's quite off-putting.
I was first licensed in 1980.

It was that way then. Old habitstraditions die hard with some, and along with them goes the ARS.

Every (and I can't stress that "every" enough) organization that has elected officials has politics - period.  If politics puts you off, so be it, but they are a matter of life, and even if you join a local club, if it has elected officials, it will have politics. If the local club only has 6 members and all six agree Joe Bob should be the president, that's fine until a 7th member joins and decides he'd like to be president.  Then you'll see what I mean by the word 'every'. 
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »

But you then DQRM with small talk about your private life that is irrelevant. <yawn> indeed. QSY, TU.
That is all that this entire thread is yadda yadda yadda
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »

....................That is all that this entire thread is yadda yadda yadda
So, let’s have some more yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, directed to “1-Land.”

1. Group of Grump Old Men created a Code of Censorship, in late 2016 or early 2017, in response to a former Director’s desire to be more transparent.
2. It was presented to a large, well-heeled audience that is noted for its monetary generosity.  Apparently, a grievous sin. Time for a question.
3.  Why did it take almost seven months for the Apparatchiks in Newington to punish the alleged offender?
4. Short answer, based solely on my speculation:  Follow the money.  Since the April presentation to Nor CA DX Club, (and the overwhelming objection by those in attendance) ARRL gifts, grants and bequeaths have been reduced, rescinded and almost evaporated.  And, I’m not talking about $45 magazine subscriptions.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »

It's stuff like this, and going to my first club meeting last month shortly after getting licensed through that clubs testing only to spend an hour listening to them discussing and voting on having to pay $100 a month rent for their club facilities, and then getting stuck listening to a fired vice director spew about the organization (I had enough after about half an hour and walked out), that has killed any interest I would have had in joining the ARRL or probably even a local club.  They send me a lot of mail looking for 45 bucks, but with all this BS going on, there's not a snowballs chance in heck they're ever going to see a penny from me.

Might still join a local club because one has cool hats and I could really use an Elmer, but the ARRL? No way.

Best thing to do is find a few local friends who share same operating interests as you.  You don't need a club, you don't need the ARRL.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »

Well I don't know anything about this man or the issues around him. But I do know your blanket statement about the league proposed expansion of the digital segments of bands especially the 80 meter band is not beneficial to amateur radio is wrongheaded.  The taking of the lower portion of the phone segment for digital is sorely needed and should never have been allocated for phone in the first place.  So there.

I remember when 3.625 or so was prime digital operating frequency for Amtor and Pactor ARQ.  So apparently digital modes would get "their" frequencies back, lol.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:31 AM »

Well I don't know anything about this man or the issues around him. But I do know your blanket statement about the league proposed expansion of the digital segments of bands especially the 80 meter band is not beneficial to amateur radio is wrongheaded.  The taking of the lower portion of the phone segment for digital is sorely needed and should never have been allocated for phone in the first place.  So there.
I couldn't agree with you more, with respect to allocation.  That particular erred reallocation seriously harming CW space on 80 meters.

Not what I was referring to, though.  Bandwidth not to be confused with band mode allocation.  ARRL wants to expand the amount of bandwidth for certain digital modes, to the taking of overall available space for other digital modes.  There should have instead been a proposal to further limit bandwidth and promotion of narrow digital modes like CW, various JT modes, PSK-31, etc.

True, sounds like rehash of old Winlink battles.

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »

Ah, that would be correct.  That was/is the basis for their latest petition.....the removal of the symbol rate limit, which, as of now, prohibits US amateur band use of Pactors III and IV.

And, ARRL says that we must have SCS Pactor modems to use Winlink.......

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »

...the ARRL says that we must have SCS Pactor modems to use Winlink.......

Follow the money
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »

You don't need a club, you don't need the ARRL.
We do. Without a union to unite us in larger numbers our interests will not be granted out of simple good will from up high. Never has happened that way, never will. The HF -- ALL of it -- was given to us by the authorities in the early days PURELY because they thought it had no value whatsoever, was useless. They did tests some 50 miles apart on HF and heard NOTHING. Only when hams both sides of the Atlantic heard each other did the authorities realize HF was valuable, and then they took it ALL away EXCEPT for some slices. We do NOT have those slices guaranteed into perpetuity as this is something our "unions" such as ARRL never thought to campaign for. Now those "unions" are going off track, some are trying to correct it and get punished, the corrupt incest increases, the numbers drop.

But saying we need nothing to put our interests forward in front of other interests (money, commercial wide area internet on HF etc) is folly. The Original Poster of this thread raised legitimate concerns on the treatment of one such individual who clearly understood all this and was thus active in ARRL, but these days especially on the Internet and on forums, it is the LOWEST IQ that can type at a keyboard that will always drag every sensible thread into the abyss. Well done yet again. W6EM on an unmoderated free private public forum where the more page views there are brings the more money it is far from ideal. QRZ is no better, in fact it is worse because it IS moderated but moderated very poorly -- again there the numbers matter for the same reason: quantity ($) not quality.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »

You don't need a club, you don't need the ARRL.
We do. Without a union to unite us in larger numbers our interests will not be granted out of simple good will from up high. Never has happened that way, never will. The HF -- ALL of it -- was given to us by the authorities in the early days PURELY because they thought it had no value whatsoever, was useless. They did tests some 50 miles apart on HF and heard NOTHING. Only when hams both sides of the Atlantic heard each other did the authorities realize HF was valuable, and then they took it ALL away EXCEPT for some slices. We do NOT have those slices guaranteed into perpetuity as this is something our "unions" such as ARRL never thought to campaign for. Now those "unions" are going off track, some are trying to correct it and get punished, the corrupt incest increases, the numbers drop.

But saying we need nothing to put our interests forward in front of other interests (money, commercial wide area internet on HF etc) is folly. The Original Poster of this thread raised legitimate concerns on the treatment of one such individual who clearly understood all this and was thus active in ARRL, but these days especially on the Internet and on forums, it is the LOWEST IQ that can type at a keyboard that will always drag every sensible thread into the abyss. Well done yet again. W6EM on an unmoderated free private public forum where the more page views there are brings the more money it is far from ideal. QRZ is no better, in fact it is worse because it IS moderated but moderated very poorly -- again there the numbers matter for the same reason: quantity ($) not quality.

You are wasting your breath - or at least key strokes.  There are many organizations that represent various groups of people - ARRL for hams, NRA for gun owners, even unions like the UAW that represent auto and other groups of workers, but there will always be the fringe who won't join, either because they're too cheap or too self centered and believe why join when they can still get the benefits for free?  Nothing you or I can say will dissuade these freeloaders, but the minute the organization either can't get what the freeloader wants, or does something they don't like, they'll whine and cry like babies.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:04:45 AM »

"tldr;" commonly or only used by the lazy, the illiterate or the careless. Every word from OP has been important and serious.

Ok, I'm an OF now so please tell me what this "tldr" is about!   Huh
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

tl;dr means “too long; didn’t read

See the details in the Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr

With the research tools available today, even us OFs (I’m 75) can keep up with new words.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »

tl;dr means “too long; didn’t read

See the details in the Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr

With the research tools available today, even us OFs (I’m 75) can keep up with new words.

Thanks for the decode.. I pass on the urban dictionary, IPRW.    (I prefer real words), lol.  73 Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: