The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supplies with PowerPoles  (Read 741 times)
N0MKC

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »

Okay, I've been looking over some small power supplies to add to my "portable hamshack" kit, and rather liked the Alinco DM-30T ( http://www.alinco.com/Products/ps/DM-30/DM-30.pdf ).

That is, until I took a close look at the PowerPole arrangement...  There's no way you could plug in the commonly used PowerPole configuration (tongue up, red right) and have it work!!!

(I see that a different model (DM-430T) does have it right; I expect that their designers were retrained as to the proper configuration.)
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »

Granted, it's not the "normal" configuration, but it can be made to work.  The nice thing about PowerPoles is that they can be arranged in any configuration desired.  In this situation, the red housing would be mounted on top of the black housing.  If I were getting that power supply, I'd definitely check the installed PowerPoles to make sure the polarity was correct ( red +. black -).
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »

The two sets of power poles are linked together along one plane.  Either vertically or horizontally.  You can determine this by observing the black plastic housing that holds the two sets of power poles.  On the top or side of the housing should be a steel pin that holds the pole sets to the housing.  Use a small nail to push out the pin and release the poles.

You can then slip them apart and reorient them as you want them.  Put them back into the housing and insert the pin to hold them in place.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »

One good thing about Power Poles is that you can CHANGE the configuration to what you want.  Small price to pay for getting the power supply you want.
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »

Oh, I know that I can reconfigure the PowerPoles to match whatever arrangement is needed; it's just that having to reconfigure things to accommodate the "odd man out" equipment can get tiresome rather quickly.  (Besides, many of my power connections have been assembled permanently in the "tongue up, red right" configuration via a small drop of superglue.)  Making up a custom adapter pigtail would be simple enough -  but again, it's an inconvenience.

As to rearranging the PowerPole configuration on the power supply...  Might be easy, might be extremely difficult, depending upon the internal construction & layout.

I see non-standard interconnects all too often anyway - console and smart UPS cables with common connectors (USB, DB-9, RJ-45) and proprietary wiring schemes between each end are a PITA at best.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:50:39 PM by N0MKC » Logged
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »

Oh, I know that I can reconfigure the PowerPoles to match whatever arrangement is needed; it's just that having to reconfigure things to accommodate the "odd man out" equipment can get tiresome rather quickly.  (Besides, many of my power connections have been assembled permanently in the "tongue up, red right" configuration via a small drop of superglue.)  Making up a custom adapter pigtail would be simple enough -  but again, it's an inconvenience.
Making a pigtail lead to correct an odd configuration (X2) is a lot of work, and a waste of 4 connectors.  Unnecessary.  I thought you asked for help, not more criticism of the product supplier.
As to rearranging the PowerPole configuration on the power supply...  Might be easy, might be extremely difficult, depending upon the internal construction & layout.

PP connectors are attached to freely routed wires, unless soldered to a PC board.  If soldered to a PC board, very, very bad in that flexure would eventually break traces.  And, like I suggested, releasing them via pin removal from panel housings is simple and quick.

As for how you anchor your own PP pairs, you might buy some of the short metal pins to use instead of superglue.  Much easier and they're designed for that.  Or, simply insert a wooden toothpick in the pin retainer location and break it off.  QED.

BTW, I prefer "red on left, tongue down" configuration.  Helps keep dust and dirt from accumulating in the cupped part of the connector body.  :-)

Lee
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

I use the small (red) wire ties for retainers.  They hold good and can be removed by snipped them apart.

The last time I glued two connectors together they were wrong.  Never done THAT again!   Roll Eyes
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »

Making a pigtail lead to correct an odd configuration (X2) is a lot of work, and a waste of 4 connectors.  Unnecessary.  I thought you asked for help, not more criticism of the product supplier.

PP connectors are attached to freely routed wires, unless soldered to a PC board.  If soldered to a PC board, very, very bad in that flexure would eventually break traces.  And, like I suggested, releasing them via pin removal from panel housings is simple and quick.

As for how you anchor your own PP pairs, you might buy some of the short metal pins to use instead of superglue.  Much easier and they're designed for that.  Or, simply insert a wooden toothpick in the pin retainer location and break it off.  QED.

BTW, I prefer "red on left, tongue down" configuration.  Helps keep dust and dirt from accumulating in the cupped part of the connector body.  :-)

Lee

Agreed, for fixed connections having the tongue down is preferable; I just use the "R-R" (Red Right) memory assist when making up the connections, and generally refer to it that way. After all, "tongue up, red right" is the same arrangement as "tongue down, red left", just rotated 180 degrees.  (Both viewed with the wire end of the connector facing away from you, of course.)

I use home-made retainers, so I like to keep the holes clear.  I have about 20' of insulated solid wire with an OD which is a nice snug fit in the connector holes; I cut & bend U-shaped segments to fit.  I also use small wire ties on occasion, usually for long-term connections.

As to the power supply, I just found it curious and wondered if anyone else had noticed...  If I were using it as a bench supply, I'd be wiring the long-term, higher-draw devices to the connectors on the back; the front connections would be used more for temporary connections, with a lot of different devices being connected at one time or another, most of which would have the common P-P configuration.  In that case, I'd need either to make up pigtail adapters or get into the PS and rearrange the PP layout.

(I'm no stranger to modifying stuff to meet my needs - still, when buying, I prefer to get something which fulfills my requirements whenever possible.)
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »

..."tongue up, red right"...

Tongue Top, Red Right is easier to remember.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: