The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment Antenna  (Read 1097 times)
KZ5I

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »

I live in an apartment surrounded on all 4 sides by buildings. Is there an SWL antenna that can be used in an apartment with this type of environment ?

Thanks and '73
Emmett KZ5I
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

I live in an apartment surrounded on all 4 sides by buildings. Is there an SWL antenna that can be used in an apartment with this type of environment ?

Thanks and '73
Emmett KZ5I

Tough one!! How close are you from the other buildings? Try a wire around the ceiling, or out the window.

I would be very hesitant to spend any money on a commercial antenna, before checking with a simple wire. There is also the possibility, hopefully not, that you may be in RFI hell.

Again, tough one. I don't envy you one bit.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »

One thing I found out when I spent 4 years in a stucco-encrusted 2nd floor apartment was that a wire antenna actually worked better if I moved it further inside, away from the grounded outside walls. 

I was able to hear plenty of DX in the 6-16 MHz range with a 25 foot wire (1/4 wave at 9.4 MHz) connected to my receiver (no TX at the time, no tuner, and it was 2010-13, when the sunspots were good), with a 25 foot counterpoise on the floor. 

The bad news was that the best location was in my dining room, which made it a bit cumbersome.  But it can be done.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »

One thing I found out when I spent 4 years in a stucco-encrusted 2nd floor apartment was that a wire antenna actually worked better if I moved it further inside, away from the grounded outside walls. 

I depends on the construction, I guess. I lived in a building that 2 feet away from the window, literally, it was 'RF vacuum'. Nothing at all, unbelievable, and I was on the 11th floor.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:47 PM »

Thanks and '73
Emmett KZ5I

Yes. Use a multi-turn loop. Start with 5 turns on a 36" diameter and work up or down from there. Or, buy a commercial magloop.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »

Use a PVC pole horizontally out a window with a wire running through it, and then sloping downward!   Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: