The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing PL-259 Connectors  (Read 2615 times)
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »

Tom (N2SR):

I had to chuckle when I read your post.  Last year, before Field Day, one of the ham clubs I belong to had a "Coax Party" to test and repair lines that we would be using during the event.  In the meeting before the party, everybody was an expert and KNEW the BEST way to attach new connectors.  But at the Coax Party, only TWO people felt comfortable putting them on.  The rest, now silent, shuffled around and did their best to stay away from the repair stations until the  work was done and they could re-coil the coax and do some rag chewing.  Most seemed intimidated by wire cutters and soldering irons.  Funny now, frustrating at the time.

Brian - K6BRN
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »

Tom (N2SR):

I had to chuckle when I read your post.  Last year, before Field Day, one of the ham clubs I belong to had a "Coax Party" to test and repair lines that we would be using during the event.  In the meeting before the party, everybody was an expert and KNEW the BEST way to attach new connectors.  But at the Coax Party, only TWO people felt comfortable putting them on.  The rest, now silent, shuffled around and did their best to stay away from the repair stations until the  work was done and they could re-coil the coax and do some rag chewing.  Most seemed intimidated by wire cutters and soldering irons.  Funny now, frustrating at the time.

Brian - K6BRN

Hi Brian,

I always get a chuckle when threads like this start.   The only correct way is the way the manufacturer's instructions say to install the connector.   But everyone seems to have their own "methods," some of which are basically the same as the manufacturer's, but many that are not. 

Ask a similar question: "How do you seal your coax connections?"   And you'll get a myriad of responses.   

My suggestion is to sticky this thread, and anytime someone needs to ask the question (which is usually every few months), they don't have to start a new thread.  Just look at the top of the forums and read the myriad of ways to install a PL-259.   Pick the way you think it should be done, and go for it. 

The same should be done for "How do you seal your coax connectors?"   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »

I think threads on "how do you ......" can be very useful, as many of us may use different methods.

Threads titled "What is the best way to ..." aren't as productive, as they assume that there is only
one "best" way to do it under all circumstances.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »

WB6BYU said:

I think threads on "how do you ......" can be very useful, as many of us may use different methods.

Threads titled "What is the best way to ..." aren't as productive, as they assume that there is only
one "best" way to do it under all circumstances.

+1  (No doubt about it)

"What is the BEST..."  threads always seem to blow up.

Brian - K6BRN
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »

How to Install PL-259 Connectors:

For Commercial:    All Silver and Teflon Crimp, with proper connector specific tool kit.

For Ham:   Varying soldering pencils, stations, guns, torches, ranging from 10 to 800 watts.
                 Endless variations of "the art".  Even more opinions.  Even a wider range of "results".

For CB:    Prep the cable with a garden shear, jam into the connector shell, dip the entire
               PL-259 and the first 1 inch of cable into a soldering pot.   Hold under the surface
               for at least 30 seconds.     Plug into your 16-pill non-linear non-filtered 3KW "amplifier" (sic) to test/destroy.
               [Duck for cover as all the lights in the town dim....]
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »

Your CB radio instructions are misguided...   Professional big signal operators rely on

Go loud or go home.    Tongue

DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »

For years I have been installing my PL-259 connectors by folding back the braid then screwing the connector down over the braid and outer layer of the connector. This usually requires using pliers because it is so tight. Then carefully soldering the center connector.

Some people say this is OK some say no.

What say you?

I often do this with RG-213 and have never had any problems. Occasionally, I have shaved just a very little bit off the cable insulation with an Exacto knife to make it easier to screw on the connector.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
K1VCT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »

Let me put my 2c worth in for the Times EZ connectors, which are not cheep, and require their tools, but are a pleasure to install, in seconds, with zero defects.

Previous to my migration to the EZ connector, I used screw-on, then solder PL-259's on RG-8 cable (LMR-400).  They work.  If you take the care to get things right, tin the braid, make sure there are no excess solder globs, keep things cool... all those little "technique" items, then they come out fine.

The EZ's... cut cable.  Slide on heat shrink and sleeve.  Make Cut #1 with the tool, which strips about 3/8" off the end cleanly to the core.  Make Cut #2 with the tool, which removes the proper amount of outer jacket.  Deburr end of core if needed.  Splay out the braid a little.  Push connector on until it "clicks" in place.  The "click" is the spring fingers inside the connector snapping onto the core conductor.  Slide sleeve up, crimp.  Slide heat shrink up, heat.  Done.  Takes longer to describe than do.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: