The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7100 install, fan orientation  (Read 1009 times)
KK6RPX

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »

Hi All,

I've been working on my tear drop trailer installing a proper power system. I am getting close to the radio installation and have a question.  I am installing the radio vertically and my preference would be to have the end with all of the connections facing down. Unfortunately, that puts the fan blowing down instead of up as physics would prefer. My first inclination is that it would be ok but while I really want the connections facing downward for logistical reasons I am always leery of flouting the laws of physics. As we all know the Law of Physics Enforcement Department never sleeps.  Grin

So, anyone think that I'd be impacting cooling to any significant degree by having the fan blow down?
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »

The radio shouldn't get hot enough to where the direction of the fan makes a difference. What typically makes the most difference is making sure there's enough space around the radio for good circulation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:38:12 AM by K7RBW » Logged
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »

Yeah, I just did net control on it for two hours and it was fine temp-wise. And I will have a low duty cycle on it while operating portable anyway or I'll be running down the battery.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: