The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HUSTLER MOBILE AS A BASE ANTENNA  (Read 1037 times)
VE7ABC

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »

Has anyone used or tried to use a Hustler Mobile as a base antenna?  My rear yard is quite small and the good lady doesn't want any wire antennas or large verticals. You all know the story:  happy wife, happy life.  I have a BBQ hut in the back yard and was thinking of mounting a Hustler MO2 mast along with their VP1 adapter and an 80m resonator, a 40m resonator and a 20m resonator to give me coverage on 3 bands.  The MO2 mast would be mounted on a 20' length of HD galvanized steel pipe.  The pipe would be mounted to the back of the BBQ hut, and be grounded.  Any experience or thoughts on this?   Huh

Thanks
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »

I think i'd try a wire up the BBQ chimney before I use another hustler lossy whip.  Can you make the chimney higher?   Grin
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »

I wish I could.  The BBQ is a natural gas unit, hence NO CHIMNEY.  I've used the Hustler antenna before mobile, and yes it's not the best, but I had a lot of mobile QSO's with it. 
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »

hmmm,   a triple Huster stinger is OK, but a single "flagpole" 20' long won't get past the war dept?   My experience with Hustlers is only on a boat, where I found the 40m resonator is noticeably warm with just 100W ssb.  Can you do a 20' something #18 wire sloper into a tree with an autotuner at the base, hidden as a sprinker controller or something?   
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »

Any experience or thoughts on this?

You will experience less frustration with CW or a weak-signal digital mode, like PSK31.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »

The problem isn't the hustler resonators, but putting it on a 20' pole.

If you use the pole as part of your antenna by feeding it at the base
with the resonators for top loading, you won't be able to tune them
to resonance.  (Well, except maybe 80m.)

If you mount the mobile antenna with the feedpoint at the top of the
poke, you don't have an adequate ground to feed it against, even if
the mast is grounded.  You'd need radial wires attached right at the
feedpoint and sloping down towards, but not connected to the
ground.

And if you have room for such radials, you can use the same wires
as inverted vees, which likely will work better than the mobile antenna
in the first place.
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:31 PM »

I used to live in a place were essentially no antennas were allowed. To get around that, I bought a full set of Hustler resonators RM10, 15, 20, 40, 75, and 80. I had the 75M resonator tuned to the SSB portion of the band and the RM80 tuned to the SSB portion for quick changes. I had a mobile mount on my car and simply left the car in the garage. I ran the coax from the car though the garage side door that opened into the laundry room and had my transceiver on the dryer. I operated that way for nearly two years and had a lot of fun.

Here are a few tips about these antennas. 80M will be very inefficient. Pulling out all the stops will only get you about 20% efficiency. At resonance the rig sees ground resistance, loading coiling coil resistance, and radiation resistance. At low frequencies coil resistance dominates all others. Radiation resistance is very low because it drops by a factor of 4 every time the antenna is shortened a factor of two from quarter wavelength. This formula is more accurate the smaller the antenna is relative to quarter wavelength as I recall. 

As you go up in frequency, 80+ % efficiency can be achieved on 10M because the coils are smaller, radiation resistance is higher, and ground losses tend to become dominant.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »

Our QRP club used a mobile Hustler as a fixed antenna on a QRP to the Field event on 20m, using one of the rod masts. It worked pretty well, as 20 and above aren't much of a compromise with the Hustler mobile mast and coil/whips. I used the setup mobile with the foldover mast for many years on 15m. I had the 45 year old mast in ground mounted the backyard until an oak tree fell on it and mangled it.

The radials that I use for a QRP homebrew portable loaded vertical break out with 4 attachment points like your photo. The radials themselves are made from 48 feet of CAT-5 ethernet cable. The cables are 4 twisted pairs, which I stripped out of the jacket at 12 feet (nothing magic about that length) 4 sets of the 12 foot lengths of cables yielding 16 radials, soldered as 4 sets of 4 twisted pairs into 4 crimp connector plugs. The great thing about leaving the twisted pairs intact rather than unraveled is that they are very supple and hard to tangle. The pairs are color coded and easy to identify. When going QRT, I just wrap each set of 4 around my hand, and then stuff the sets into a ziplock bag. The 4 18" aluminum mast sections, adjustable end section, the homebrew loading coils, the pvc feed point with aluminum ground stake, bright yellow string mast supports and aluminum tent pegs, and radials all fit into a carry bag. The 16 radials lie flat on the ground, usually with nothing needed to hold the ends down. rocks laying on the ends are an easy option.

Ted, KX4OM
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »

I wish I could.  The BBQ is a natural gas unit, hence NO CHIMNEY.  I've used the Hustler antenna before mobile, and yes it's not the best, but I had a lot of mobile QSO's with it. 

Hi,

A vertical 1/4 wave antenna (like these) needs a ground plane.  In your auto, the ground plane is the steel panels of your vehicle.  As you propose this in your yard, you have nothing.  So you need to decide what that will be.  Basically you have two choices:  elevated radials, or an earth ground plane.

For earth ground plane you need the Hustler mast mounted on the ground (not on a 20' pole) and a ground radial system such as described by KX4OM.

If using the 20' pole, then you need to use elevated radials.  This would be preferably two or more 1/4 length wires mounted on the base of the Hustler mast and positioned opposite each other, for each band.  So, this would be two 66' lengths, two 33' lengths, and two 16.5' lengths.  Probably this won't "pass inspection" so ground mounted will be the way to go.

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
HAMHOCK75

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

If you are going to put the Hustler resonator on a 20' pole then you might just as well buy a Hustler 5BTV vertical. I now have one. It is a Hustler 80M resonator atop a 17' pole but that pole also has 10, 15, 20M traps, and 40M so its a 17' pole with all the bands and with better efficiency than the resonators because 17' is tall enough for full size 1/4 wavelengths on 10, 15, 20M.

No elevated radials are needed. I have them buried in the ground.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »

Has anyone used or tried to use a Hustler Mobile as a base antenna?  My rear yard is quite small and the good lady doesn't want any wire antennas or large verticals. You all know the story:  happy wife, happy life.  I have a BBQ hut in the back yard and was thinking of mounting a Hustler MO2 mast along with their VP1 adapter and an 80m resonator, a 40m resonator and a 20m resonator to give me coverage on 3 bands.  The MO2 mast would be mounted on a 20' length of HD galvanized steel pipe.  The pipe would be mounted to the back of the BBQ hut, and be grounded.  Any experience or thoughts on this?   Huh

Thanks

I think you can do better. Just have ground based vertical - 20 feet to top of hut, then add 10-15 more and you should be good. No difference in look from what you planned, just all isolated from ground. Of cause you will need grounded/buried radials, but they will not be visible at all. Add remote tuner at the base of antenna and you should be good for 10-40 meters, with some luck may even reach 80 meters, but efficiency will be low.
N5LXI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »

I did this one field day running QRP. I mounted it on a camera tripod with some radial wires. As mentioned, there are many better solutions for you.
WY7CHY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use a mobile antenna as a base; but I will say that you CAN make it work. And work pretty decently if done correctly. I experimented recently with a Tarheel 200 antenna that my friend sold me really cheap. He sold his big pickup and didn't replace it. Sold me the Tarheel and all cabling for $100. Not wanting to put in on a vehicle, I decided to try experimenting with it. I already have an 80m Loop antenna and a vertical; so I didn't need to hook up the tarheel. But I'm more into tinkering than talking with radio gear.

Anyway, using an idea I saw from repdesign; I built a ring that held 8 each 3/8 24 nuts to mount hamsticks on. Long story short, I mounted the Tarheel 200 on the roof of my house. It stands about 10-12 feet tall. For a ground plane, I used the ring I built (You can buy one for about $50) and mounted 8 hamsticks as radials for the ground plane. 3 each for 80m; 3 each for 40m; and 2 each for 20m. And with the antenna tunable, I'm also able to tune up 17&15 meters. All tuning in the 45-55 ohms at resonance and capacitance/inductance almost to 0. Now; is it the most efficient antenna? No. But I've hit all over the entire USA with it. And being it's a vertical, I've also had some luck doing DX on 20m to Europe and central america.

Granted, I had extra hamsticks sitting around; and I got the Tarheel for only $100. So it wasn't an expensive project for me. For others, it could be expensive. Hamsticks are $18 each; so that along is almost $150 for 8 of them. A new Tarheel 200 is about $500. Used; around $250-$300. So, it can definitely get expensive. Especially compared to how cheap plane stranded wire is. You can put a loop antenna on your house, following the trim/eaves of your house; for about $20-$30. (That's how I have my loop because I don't have trees to work with). My loop has hit most of europe, russia, central america, south america, all USA, canada, hawaii, and other places. But.... for the person who simply cannot put up a wire antenna; because of rental, property, etc. a mobile antenna CAN BE MADE to work. Especially if it's something like a screwdriver antenna (Tarheel, scorpion).

Born Wild - Raised Proud: 73
Cheyenne, Wyoming
KC3BBI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:10:23 PM »

If you are going to put the Hustler resonator on a 20' pole then you might just as well buy a Hustler 5BTV vertical. I now have one. It is a Hustler 80M resonator atop a 17' pole but that pole also has 10, 15, 20M traps, and 40M so its a 17' pole with all the bands and with better efficiency than the resonators because 17' is tall enough for full size 1/4 wavelengths on 10, 15, 20M.

No elevated radials are needed. I have them buried in the ground.
I agree, the 5btv is not going to stand out as being obnoxious looking and it has a good dx performance and will permit you to use 5 bands or 6 bands. The antenna does, however, need ground radials. They dont work well without it.
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »

Thanks to all for your suggestions and insight.  You've given me a lot to ponder over.  I'll need to get out and look the property over and see about a 5BTV or similar.  With the only workable antenna location in "MY" property, radials could be an issue.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: