The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else find it frustrating FT9 and NO QSL info?  (Read 955 times)
KD0ZV

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »

Is it just me or do you find it frustrating that people use FT8 and do not QSL in ANY manner?

Its not like there is any other benefit to the mode besides collecting states, countries, grids, etc.

FT8  is not for enjoyable QSO's. Its a contact collecting mode. Please QSL in the manner of your choice. Even if it doesn't benefit me.

Rich
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »

Is it just me or do you find it frustrating that people use FT8 and do not QSL in ANY manner?

Its not like there is any other benefit to the mode besides collecting states, countries, grids, etc.

FT8  is not for enjoyable QSO's. Its a contact collecting mode. Please QSL in the manner of your choice. Even if it doesn't benefit me.

Rich

In addition to not confirming - a valid and acceptable choice, in my opinion - what about the guy that calls, and completes, multiple QSOs in the same band, sometimes in the same day? Antenna testing, I know! Grin
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »

electronic. qsling. is. HORRIBLE! setting up logging, uploading, qsling, eQSL with donations but no actual help, lotw, HRD with their unattended problems spanning years, etc... I may never, ever, get it all working, never. Setting up tedious computer s%^t is BORING!! I'm off FT8 if not the entire spectrum and all modes until I can work all that out and if it never happens, I'll find a hobby I like...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »

I get a few LOTW responses from FT8, but it's actually not a very interesting mode to me. I think I'll go back to CW. It was interesting to play with for a few days, like a lot of things.

As far as HRD and electronic logging, it took me a long time to figure out how to make it work, but now I've got it going and rather enjoy the lack of sending stuff out. I'v cut out any paper QSL's at this point and say so on my Z page. But people keep sending them. It also gook me a long time to get HRD where I wanted it ('figure it out' like SpectrumLab, that took a long time), but I only use it for pretty basic stuff, nothing too complicated. But recently the logbook has bee acting up, I need to see if I can fix it. Still using the last free HRD too.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »

LOTW is a wonderful FREE service.  I make it a point to upload at least at the end of every session, and sometimes during a session. I love the instant feedback when my QSO partner does the same.   As you stated there is very little other reason for working WSJT modes other than for awards/collecting.  So why EVERYONE is not on LOTW is a mystery to me.  LOTW IS NOT difficult to get on and get set up. It its time consuming to have to wait for the card in the mail and it is SECURE, perhaps more secure than your bank account, but once it is done it is done. It is super simple to use and takes literally a few seconds to upload.  I don't understand why so many just upload once a week or once a month or even once a year.  UPLOAD for pity's sake guys!  It has been said the final courtesy is a QSL card, well QSL cards mean nothing to me, the final courtesy to me is an upload to LOTW.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »

... edit... what about the guy that calls, and completes, multiple QSOs in the same band, sometimes in the same day? Antenna testing, I know! Grin

Yeah, I usually don't do multiple FT8 contacts, unless I am on a little used band like 6 or perhaps 10, and the screen is empty. And then a station calls CQ that I have already worked.
I'll sometimes reply, just to let him know the band has propagation between us.

After the 1st of the year, all bets are off, when the ARRL 's year long grid square collecting "non-contesting"   Roll Eyes contest begins.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:22 AM »

After the 1st of the year, all bets are off, when the ARRL 's year long grid square collecting "non-contesting"   Roll Eyes contest begins.

Let's hope one contact is enough to count the grid. Ok, one per band. All right, one per mode. Roll Eyes
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »

The FCC hasn't even required that US Amateurs keep logs for decades now. Without a log they can't QSL.

The vast vast majority of licensed hams don't have paper QSL cards or LOTW or eQSL accounts.

If you only want to work CQ'ers who use LOTW, that's something you can do. http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »

The FCC hasn't even required that US Amateurs keep logs for decades now. Without a log they can't QSL.

The vast vast majority of licensed hams don't have paper QSL cards or LOTW or eQSL accounts.

If you only want to work CQ'ers who use LOTW, that's something you can do. http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list

A lot easier way than looking them up.  Load and install JT alert.  You can see instantly who is LOTW or EQSL for that matter if you want. and you can set the voice alerts to ignore those who are not LOTW which is what I do.  The VAST majority of FT8 users are LOTW.  I would say less than maybe 5 to 10 percent aren't.
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »

That depends on the mode. I would say my LOTW confirmation rate is about 75% if not better. Since digital lends itself to easier logging I tend to get more.

A lot easier way than looking them up.  Load and install JT alert.  You can see instantly who is LOTW or EQSL for that matter if you want. and you can set the voice alerts to ignore those who are not LOTW which is what I do.  The VAST majority of FT8 users are LOTW.  I would say less than maybe 5 to 10 percent aren't.

I agree.  Anyone would be crazy not to run JTalert.  For a multitude of reasons.
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »

"Is it just me or do you find it frustrating that people use FT8 and do not QSL in ANY manner?"

The LOTW web site shows that K1JT hasn't uploaded to LOTW in over 23 months. Since FT8 was given its wide release only this past July, I guess Joe has set the standard for electronic qsls for this mode.

My own impression has been that JT65, JT9 and FT8 contacts have all been confirmed at a rather high rate on lotw and on eqsl.

Dave, N6ORB

VK1AZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »

So why EVERYONE is not on LOTW is a mystery to me.  LOTW IS NOT difficult to get on and get set up. 

Certainly it's Free and it's easy to install.... BUT for non-USA users it's a genuine pain in the backside and actually an identity theft risk!!!! They require I send personal identity documents via snail mail that if intercept/lost/stolen could be used for identity theft purposes. this doesn't sit well and as a victim of recent credit card fraud it's quite a concern.
I have bitten the bullet and photographed the demanded documents and printed on the laser printer so they are obvious copies..... no to see if LoTW will accept them.
At least for Australia my license details are available via the regulatory body ACMA along with the registered mailing address.... I see NO reason they can't send a card like they do for US hams..... oh wait that would cost money so it seems like it's about getting the end user to shoulder the cost...seriously I'd PAY them the money to send the card if I didn't have to mail off identity documents via UNSECURE mail.
So as these digital modes are truly international most of the time then it's not much of a mystery why.
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:47 AM »

As far as LOTW, looking back its an easy process. But it was confusing when I did it the first time because of ARRLs terrible hacked up documentation.

I have since helped others that struggle with the same thing. Its not easy to most people. An overhaul of the documentation would be helpful.

I do not have much use fo eQSL and HRDlog but participate in it for those that do.

I have JTalert connected to Log4OM so I confirm instantly on the above as well as QRZ.com.  I also log to LOTW several times a day when I am operating with Log4OM.

Its a simple process.

Once again, everyone needs JTalert.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »

Once again, everyone needs JTalert.

It is so useful, it ought to come with the WSJT-x package. 
Operating WSJT modes without JT alert is like a day without sunshine.  I have no idea why so many don't use it.  Perhaps they just don't know about it or don't understand it.  Too bad for them..

http://hamapps.com/
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

Well if nothing else the "B4" tag is enough reason to do it.

With a mode that runs in 15 second intervals I have no clue how people can find a station, check to make sure they have not worked them before and then click to start the contact. Sure there is the next time around but they will probably be working someone else by then.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: