The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: commercial receive only loop  (Read 438 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »

There seem to be quite a few out there. Recommendations for one that covers 160 to 40?

Lane
Ku7i
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

I own the W6LVP and couldn't be happier. I work stuff on 160 that I wouldn't even know was there otherwise.
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »

Thank you Jim.

Lane
Ku7i
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »

Lane

I use a Wellbrook broadband receive loop and it is very effective from VLF upwards.  The upper frequency limit is about 30 MHz but the main advantages show up below 10 MHz, and most dramatically on 160m and 80m.  In a typical noisy urban environment a rotatable low frequency antenna is a good thing.  My 1m diameter loop is mounted vertically about 1m above a garden bed, on a light-duty rotator.  There's no forum for receive antennas at this point but if you do a search of my past posts, you can see a description of the system and some of the typical results.

73, Peter.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:48 AM »

I was reading about all the good things these loops do and so I tried one, but I guess since I live in a very rf quiet location, I could never get it to work anywhere as good as my 80M dipole. I could see things on the S meter with the dipole that I couldn't even hear on the loop. So maybe they're for the high noise areas where you can null a noise source. Haven't tried the amplified loop yet though.
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »

You do have to set yourself up for success in the signal-to-noise stakes. The effective area of the loop is much smaller than, say, an 80m dipole so signals will generally be much lower.  Where you win is if you can reduce the noise by a more than proportionate amount, giving a better s/n ratio.  To do that the loop has to be very well balanced electrically (producing good nulls) and well sited, as far away as possible from e.g. mains wiring. Part of getting good balance involves a proper feed arrangement, these days maybe involving differential LNAs. I have no doubt that the benefit is quite location dependent but in my location I would hear almost nothing on 160m without a separate receive antenna, and a broadband (no-tune) loop is a convenient implementation, often also making a good diversity antenna for the other low bands,
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:02:33 AM by VK6HP » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: