The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS530S Meter Not Working on Tune  (Read 305 times)
KA9WRZ

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »

I could swear I posted this a few years back, got an answer, but cannot locate the post with the search.

I have a TS530S.  The meter was working fine for many years, then, when tuning, the meter quit working.  Unit tunes up correctly if I watch the meter on my SWR meter when attached in the line.  I had a fellow take a look and it "sort of" works now, but still not right.  Works just fine on receive.

In my original post I seem to remember getting an answer that said I needed to replace a capacitor and resistor in the tuning circuit.  Seems to me it may have been R19??, etc.  Anyone know what the resistors/capacitors in that circuit may be?  Or, for that matter, any other ideas as to why the meter would not work when tuning?  I know the info posted here is a bit sketchy.  I'll try to get some more tests and results over the next week or so.  I am a bit limited right now as I only have a 10m antenna available.  Going to connect it to a dummy load and do some testing here in a few days. 

Thanks much!
K8BYP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:51:11 PM »

Post a link to service manual or schematic and indicate which circuit board the meter connects to. I looked at one and cant find it- they dont show the chassis wiring.
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:29:28 PM »

Post a link to service manual or schematic and indicate which circuit board the meter connects to. I looked at one and cant find it- they dont show the chassis wiring.

The meter in transmit is controlled by 2 things

1. The meter switch S13 pm the 530 schematic and each positions circuit.

2. The IF Unit relay RL1 on IF Unit board plug 10 pin 1 "TM" (Transmit Meter) and 2 "M" (Meter)

The IF Unit relay RL1 terminals on plug 10 pins 1, 2, and 3 switch the meter between
transmit and receive.

The RL1 relay on the IF Unit board has been known to fail. This relay is not a plug in relay
nor can you successfully clean the relay contact for a long term fix. Replacing the relay is
the best way to fix the problem.

The RL1 relay on the IF Unit board is a 4PDT relay 12VDc relay that not only switches the
meter around between receive and transmit but also makes changes in the level of driver
and final tube grid voltages to turn those stages ON and OFF. It controls other circuits
between receive and transmit as well.

Cleaning this relay for a long term fix doesn't work. The best fix is to replace the relay.
The relay is not a plug in. You can find replacement relays at k4eaa.com.

Mike W5RKL
www.w5rkl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: