The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAZ LOTW When  (Read 1934 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »

What ever happened to the talk of LOTW supporting other CQ awards like WAZ, I know it does WPX but to apply for it you would want to be a millionaire,

WAZ would be a easier one but haven't seen any talk of it in years

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »

It seems to be lost in some sort of internal politics.

Officially, it is the address of the station, not the declared zone, that is used.  So say the rules.  Maybe that complicates things.  Don't know.

Strangely enough, eQSL is accepted for WAZ, something I have used to my advantage many times.

As far as WPX goes, both eQSL and LOTW are accepted (this is unique).   If you use your eQSL credits first, then once in a great while, you can get the awards manager to do an update and then when that's done, LOTW will only show your "needed" credits.  You can then pay LOTW rates for those.

If you are really serious about WPX, using "both paths" is the only way to go.  Even the "buro" is not as cost effective as it looks as there are many cards that are dupes.  LOTW is actually quite cost effective even for WPX, especially if you use eQSL.  It's only that all the costs come when you apply, raising a little sticker shock. 

For eQSL, you will want to be Authenticity Guaranteed and pay the minimum annual contribution so that you can apply the credits.  All very reasonable, esp for things like 5BWAZ.  I am not sure, but I think these days all you need to get "AG" status is convince them you have an LOTW account.  I did eQSL so long ago I haven't kept track of that.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »

...I know it does WPX but to apply for it you would want to be a millionaire,
Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB

That was the reason it was done first, maybe. Grin

But you can apply for WPX using eQSL confirmations. All you pay is the WPX Award fee.

Unfortunately, it does not match the credits in LOTW. I had a lot more in LOTW, so I went that way.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

I am not sure, but I think these days all you need to get "AG" status is convince them you have an LOTW account.  I did eQSL so long ago I haven't kept track of that.

There is no politics in hamradio. Roll Eyes

How I wish all awards were available from a single place. Add another 5 cents per credit, so all involved get a cut.

Not sure if it's still the case, but there was an option in eQSL, where it would check your LOTW status, and grant you AG based on that.

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »

Officially, it is the address of the station, not the declared zone, that is used.  So say the rules.  Maybe that complicates things.  Don't know.

Strangely enough, eQSL is accepted for WAZ, something I have used to my advantage many times.

As far as WPX goes, both eQSL and LOTW are accepted (this is unique).   If you use your eQSL credits first, then once in a great while, you can get the awards manager to do an update and then when that's done, LOTW will only show your "needed" credits.  You can then pay LOTW rates for those.

If you are really serious about WPX, using "both paths" is the only way to go.  Even the "buro" is not as cost effective as it looks as there are many cards that are dupes.  LOTW is actually quite cost effective even for WPX, especially if you use eQSL.  It's only that all the costs come when you apply, raising a little sticker shock. 

For eQSL, you will want to be Authenticity Guaranteed and pay the minimum annual contribution so that you can apply the credits.  All very reasonable, esp for things like 5BWAZ.  I am not sure, but I think these days all you need to get "AG" status is convince them you have an LOTW account.  I did eQSL so long ago I haven't kept track of that.

Did you ever find your 80M Zone 22?? 
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

I suspect a lot of us in NA got it via VU7AG in 2015. The 8Q's are another recurring possibility. I'm surprised I have zone 22 on 80M 3 times over!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:36:46 AM by N3QE » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

I suspect a lot of us in NA got it via VU7AG in 2015. The 8Q's are another recurring possibility. I'm surprised I have zone 22 on 80M 3 times over!

Worked VU2GSM a few times, and also have worked 2 8Q, one in CQWW CW 2016. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »

Zone 22 on 80 from east coast NA isn't overly difficult, but 18, 23, 24, 26 and 28 are brutal. I only have one of those (28). I've been trying for the other four for over 10 years and never even heard one.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:14 AM »

Has anyone actually been receiving WAZ certificates from CQ?

In 2013 I submitted to the old manager, got a verification email from N5FG with a certificate number but certificate never showed up.  By the end of 2014, despite Floyd N5FG checking, no certificate ever arrived.

CQ was having its financial problems at the time and then a new WAZ manager KC5LK came on board in 2015. I contacted him, he said he would look into, but nothing. I pinged him again in 2016, he didn't reply. I pretty much gave up on ever getting a certificate.

So, I have an email saying I have WAZ Mixed 9083 and that is about it! Maybe I will just print and frame that, consider my payment just helped CQ Magazine stay (sorta) alive...

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:11 AM »

Zone 22 on 80 from east coast NA isn't overly difficult, but 18, 23, 24, 26 and 28 are brutal. I only have one of those (28). I've been trying for the other four for over 10 years and never even heard one.

My list is identical to yours, but I am also missing 17 (strangely enough) and 19.

paul
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:54:00 AM »

I am in email contact with KC5LK right now about mailing some cards for endorsement, if something goes wrong I will let you know.

I think I asked this to an ARRL staffer a couple of years ago and the answer was that it was not so much about verifying ZONES, but about $$$. Since you only need 40 confirmations (LOTW matches) for WAZ it is not really worth the $$ for ARRL to do this. They just don't make enough money for 40 confirmations. But WPX is a money pit, thousands of LOTW matches. But maybe I am wrong.

paul
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 05:31:01 AM »

In 2013 I submitted to the old manager, got a verification email from N5FG with a certificate number but certificate never showed up.  By the end of 2014, despite Floyd N5FG checking, no certificate ever arrived.

CQ was having its financial problems at the time and then a new WAZ manager KC5LK came on board in 2015. I contacted him, he said he would look into, but nothing. I pinged him again in 2016, he didn't reply. I pretty much gave up on ever getting a certificate.

So, I have an email saying I have WAZ Mixed 9083 and that is about it! Maybe I will just print and frame that, consider my payment just helped CQ Magazine stay (sorta) alive...

73 John K3TN

I don't know about WAZ, but WPX awards were taking over a year to arrive at one point. Processing the application was fast, the problem was mailing the award.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 05:31:18 AM »

73 John K3TN
The last time I applied for a WAZ award was in April 2013, and I got the certificate within a few months.  I also received two WPX and two CQ DX Field certificates from CQ last year.  I'd keep after yours, maybe got lost in the mail?
73, Chuck  NI0C
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 05:34:00 AM »

I think I asked this to an ARRL staffer a couple of years ago and the answer was that it was not so much about verifying ZONES, but about $$$. Since you only need 40 confirmations (LOTW matches) for WAZ it is not really worth the $$ for ARRL to do this. They just don't make enough money for 40 confirmations. But WPX is a money pit, thousands of LOTW matches. But maybe I am wrong.

paul

What an excuse. Set a fixed application fee in this case.  WAS is only $1.20 more in credits. Nothing like artificial obstacles.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:36:37 AM by VA3VF » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »

paul

What an excuse. Set a fixed application fee in this case.  WAS is only $1.20 more in credits. Nothing like artificial obstacles.

As I said, maybe I am wrong. But it is such a pain to get QSL cards and so DIFFICULT to get WAZ, I bet if the ARRL charged $40 for the "LOTW WAZ" plenty of people would pay for it. If they don't want to pay, they can get their cards and send to CQ.  But what do I know.

paul
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: