The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JT65 & JT9 WAS will be RARE now!  (Read 1196 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:24 AM »

Several years ago I made up my mind to get WAS using JT65 & JT9 modes (FT8 did not exist). There were plenty of signals and I managed to do both in one year.

Now, look for JT65 or JT9 signals - there are practically none left on the air! Right now I'm looking at FT8 40m - crowded as can be. Looking at JT65 - one transmission. Same situation all day.

So, if you have got JT65 or JT9 WAS be pleased to know that you have something that would be VERY hard to do from now on!  Cheesy
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:25:03 AM »

Several years ago I made up my mind to get WAS using JT65 & JT9 modes (FT8 did not exist). There were plenty of signals and I managed to do both in one year.

Now, look for JT65 or JT9 signals - there are practically none left on the air! Right now I'm looking at FT8 40m - crowded as can be. Looking at JT65 - one transmission. Same situation all day.

So, if you have got JT65 or JT9 WAS be pleased to know that you have something that would be VERY hard to do from now on!  Cheesy

I agree, pretty tough now.  Especially JT9. You would have to send a lot of emails to guys to get them to switch to JT9 for a contact. There is still some JT65 activity on 40 and some out of Europe.  But as you said, it is pretty sparse in the JT65 and JT9 segments.  It is so ironic as this spring JT65 activity was so intense.  When 6 meters opened early this year it was clogged with JT65 sigs, and I worked a lot of states on JT65, but FT8 was created because of the E skip on 6 meters is often of short duration and you could not get a full exchange thru with JT65 or JT9. Even though FT8 wasn't as sensitive, especially in the first release it was 4 times faster and it made the difference.  I am within 3 states of having 8 band WAS. And all but 1  have been worked, but not confirmed.  Yeah I even managed to get all 50 states on 160 with a simple inverted L up a local cedar tree.  Yes FT8 makes all the difference in the world.  It has been a fun trip.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »

I just checked and I am 9 states short on JT65.  I wonder If I could snag them with some work? Might be fun to try.  It won't be easy.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »

Well JT9 is "the" mode on the new 630 meter band. Signals are often too weak for FT8.
Otherwise there aren't many JT9 Q's on the HF bands.
As a side note I recently worked a guy 500 miles from me on 2 meters using JT65.
We had tried numerous times to work via FT8 and MSK144.
Bill, AA2UK
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »

Well JT9 is "the" mode on the new 630 meter band. Signals are often too weak for FT8.
Otherwise there aren't many JT9 Q's on the HF bands.
As a side note I recently worked a guy 500 miles from me on 2 meters using JT65.
We had tried numerous times to work via FT8 and MSK144.
Bill, AA2UK

Yeah, I have talked several guys into going to JT9 to snag some of those states I have gotten in the last few months. Many of them had never worked a single JT9 contact. But it can make the difference between a completed contact or not.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »

This is good to see. People must understand that sometimes you must 'put up' with a one minute cycle, if you want the contact. If you don't want, fine, but then do not complain that 'JT modes are worthless'. Like in other endeavours, one must use the 'right tool for the job'.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »

I got on JT65 a little bit tonight.  A couple of things.  I had forgotten how "pretty" JT65 sounds compared to the other modes, and also how stinking slow it seems now compared to FT8.   There were 3 or 4 stations on at a time though on JT65 on 40.  At times maybe 5 or 6.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »

I agree, WAS JT65 will be next to impossible now that the new flavor of the month FT8 is here. This morning I was on 40 meters JT65 and saw a total of two calls, both I have worked in the past. The waterfall used to be packed with signals a few months ago early in the morning.

I am currently on 20, just checking to see what is happening there. Same thing, not a lot of stations operating JT65. And JT9, forget it, no one bothers with that mode either.

I do not operate FT8 now, I did it for a couple of days and quit. Poor decodes at faster speeds, rude ops stepping all over one another. So that was the end of that mode for me.

JT65 and JT9 are far superior modes IMO for poor band conditions.

I have WAS JT65 so I am not too concerned about it. Now I am back to operating Olivia, the good old rag chew mode! I'll work on getting WAS with that mode. Lately there has been more action with Olivia which is good to see. It really is a great rag chew mode. (Problem is, not many new hams have the communication skills to rag chew these days  Sad )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:00:02 AM by VE3FMC » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »

Just two states left to go. ID and ND for 5 band WAS (actually 8 band)  And of course I need them both on 10 meters.  Just got to have a good opening when someone is one.  Several on from Idaho each day, but they are not LOTW.  I have worked a couple of them.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »

I got JT65 WAS done last year. About 15 states short on JT9 but know I probably won't get those. I have decoded for the moment I don't care about WAS for FT8. Going to work on CW!

NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »

I have to say, JT9 and JT 65 are probably toast...Well at least for at least the HF Bands...

FT8 is hard to beat...Fast, nearly as efficient as JT 65....And addicting...!

I am sure there will be more enhancements in the future..

C U all on the Bands

NN2X
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »

I *think* you could say the same for any mode that is less frequently used now, including perhaps RTTY, PSK, Olivia, contestia.
Getting WAS on those is a lot harder than FT8.

In  the future, they will create FT4 with a 5 second transmit cycle, and will add the final step to auto-sequencing.
So then,  you can just turn on your rig, go shopping at the mall,  play some golf, come back home
and watch your WAS certificate print.  Right about then, SSB will get popular again, so its all good!

Cheers
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

I have to say, JT9 and JT 65 are probably toast...Well at least for at least the HF Bands...

Not if I have anything to say about it.  I'm sticking with JT65.  Still plenty of activity on 40 at night.

FT8 is hard to beat...Fast, nearly as efficient as JT 65....And addicting...!

15 seconds is way too short, timing is too critical, and frankly, FT8 is a royal pain in the ass.  And it's not for lack of trying.  It's just not fun.

I am sure there will be more enhancements in the future..

30 seconds transmission length would be perfect, but I don't see that happening.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

In  the future, they will create FT4 with a 5 second transmit cycle, and will add the final step to auto-sequencing.

That would upset a lot of people. All the money they spent on linears, towers, beams, expensive transceivers, remote receivers. But it's something they can adapt quickly, and stay one step ahead of the unwashed, while still saving face.

Get a second callsign, associate to an existing DXCC record, run FT4 24/7, and keep it quiet.

And some thought sitting by the computer, watching the DX Cluster, clicking on spots, and prearranging QSOs, were the pinnacle of operating proficiency. Pity DX lists are a thing of the past. Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:04:19 PM by VA3VF » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »

I *think* you could say the same for any mode that is less frequently used now, including perhaps RTTY, PSK, Olivia, contestia.
Getting WAS on those is a lot harder than FT8.

In  the future, they will create FT4 with a 5 second transmit cycle, and will add the final step to auto-sequencing.
So then,  you can just turn on your rig, go shopping at the mall,  play some golf, come back home
and watch your WAS certificate print.  Right about then, SSB will get popular again, so its all good!

Cheers

That would be about the same as those who use IPhones to check into nets using someones remote station. Hell around here there are guys who operate nets and use someones remote station to do that while talking into their computer or Ipad.

Ya, that is about as much fun as a bag of hammers!

Funny, the last week or so I have seen a huge resurgence of the Olivia mode. More and more guys have found out they can actually have a QSO with someone while operating Olivia.

I had a couple of nice Olivia QSO's today and saw many others doing the same.

Early in the morning I still check 40 meters JT65, but I have worked everyone I see on the decode screen!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: