The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy antenna rotor cable connectors  (Read 889 times)
W1REJ

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »

Huh I have molex connectors, but I would rather use screw-on in-line round pin connectors, such as what we used in the Army eons ago. I have searched all over the internet , Allectronics, digi-key, mouser, etc, but cannot seem to find 8 or 9 pin connectors that fit my description above. The male and female screw together for a nice fit, the wires can easily be soldered to the pins and jacks. Has anyone found connectors such as these ?
Thank you in advance,
73, W1REJ, Dick
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

I think you might be referring to what is known in some circles as Ms connectors, or military series multi pin connectors that have round shells with a keyway that mate in one position only and the shells screw together.

See here http://www.tech-faq.com/ms-connectors.html
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure mouser handles MS connectors.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »

I used two flat four trailer light connectors for my Ham IV.  Cheap, available, durable.  No soldering, just terminate with crimp lugs and connect to the rotator connector strip.  Up on the tower it's plug and play, add a zip tie for good measure.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »

Huh I have molex connectors, but I would rather use screw-on in-line round pin connectors, such as what we used in the Army eons ago. I have searched all over the internet , Allectronics, digi-key, mouser, etc, but cannot seem to find 8 or 9 pin connectors that fit my description above. The male and female screw together for a nice fit, the wires can easily be soldered to the pins and jacks. Has anyone found connectors such as these ?
Thank you in advance,
73, W1REJ, Dick

You can look at TE Connectivity AMP type. They are not as rugged as military grade, but fr your purpose can be sufficient.

See here: https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/t/te-connectivity/circular-connectors
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »

I used two flat four trailer light connectors for my Ham IV.  Cheap, available, durable.  No soldering, just terminate with crimp lugs and connect to the rotator connector strip.  Up on the tower it's plug and play, add a zip tie for good measure.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Mark,

Is this what you used ?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58050-4-Way-Connector-Socket/dp/B001EP0H7Q/ref=sr_1_3/143-0220244-1450645?ie=UTF8&qid=1512534873&sr=8-3&keywords=trailer+light+connectors

Bob
K6UJ
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:47 AM »

Why not go to your local trailer place and get a 8 pin trailer harness.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »

https://www.thewireman.com/rotorp.html

Scroll down to the bottom.  #352.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »

Tom,
I have been following this thread with interest,  I will be installing a OR2800 rotor and am getting everything together I need.  A disconnect up by the rotor is one thing I want.  The cable for the OR2800 has 5 conductors.  The Wireman #353 gives six terminals.  Looks to be just what I need.  I wish there was a picture of the connectors to get an idea of how they look.  It sounds like they can be waterproofed. 

Bob
K6UJ
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »

8 pin JONES connectors.  I believe DXE sells them.
Art
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:21 AM »

Tom,
I have been following this thread with interest,  I will be installing a OR2800 rotor and am getting everything together I need.  A disconnect up by the rotor is one thing I want.  The cable for the OR2800 has 5 conductors.  The Wireman #353 gives six terminals.  Looks to be just what I need.  I wish there was a picture of the connectors to get an idea of how they look.  It sounds like they can be waterproofed. 

Bob
K6UJ

Hi Bob,

They are your basic "trailer connector."   I've seen them at Dayton.   It comes as "one piece," with a male connector on one end, and a female connector on the other, with a ~ 9-12" wire length between them.  You cut the wire "harness" in the middle, and splice the wires onto your rotator pigtail and your rotator cable.  Then connect the two connectors together.   

I don't use any connector at all.  I use a 4" square grey, PVC box that has a rubber gasket in the lid.  I hot glue a terminal block inside.  For each cable, I use a weather tight cable feed through that is big enough to cinch down on the cable, but large enough (you can remove the rubber insert) to allow the ends, with lugs, to pass through.   

BTW, I'm using an M2 Orion 2800 to turn my F12 2 element 40.  Not one problem with the rotator.    I am also using a Green Heron Engineering RT-21 to control it.  Works great.

Tom, N2SR

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »

I use Bullgins  there are several different types .  I got mine from Mouser but  Newark and DigiKey probably have them too . Just goole bulgin connectors.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »

I still use an OR-2300 from when Orion was still in business and they upgraded it gratis when the 2800 replaced it. I was a Beta tester Grin. It turned a 4 el 40M KLM at 2 locations, 140' in the lowlands with minimal wind from 83-89 and 180' here on top of the highest hill in 20+ miles until about 98 when I refused to fix that damn antenna again; it just couldnt take the hilltop effect winds. Another at 90' never had a problem and that was sold.

That top one became a pair of Cushcraft almost clones.

Carl
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »

Yes, a basic 4 pin trailer wire kit.  For an 8-wire rotor you'll need four connectors, one male/female pair for the rotor, and another male/female pair for the cable you're going to connect to it.  You want to used a mixed gender set for the connections so that you can't mis-match when you plug them in.

The beauty of using these is they're ultra-simple, they're easy to source (wal mart and any auto parts chain carries them), are made for an outdoor environment and really cheap.  You can use a more unique connector, pay more, and make it harder and more time consuming to deploy if you want, but I don't enjoy doing that hanging off a tower.

One more tip, I use the resistor color code for the colors of the rotor cable.  So 1 - 8 in order is whatever colors are in the cable most closely match the corresponding value.  Black ends up being #1, gray or white ends up being #8.  Way better than coming up with an arbitrary order you have to write down or scribble with a sharpie on the back of the rotor box, or forget and have to climb the tower to look at the rotor to see how it's wired.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:54 PM »

Tom,

Bob
K6UJ

Hi Bob,

They are your basic "trailer connector."   I've seen them at Dayton.   It comes as "one piece," with a male connector on one end, and a female connector on the other, with a ~ 9-12" wire length between them.  You cut the wire "harness" in the middle, and splice the wires onto your rotator pigtail and your rotator cable.  Then connect the two connectors together.   

I don't use any connector at all.  I use a 4" square grey, PVC box that has a rubber gasket in the lid.  I hot glue a terminal block inside.  For each cable, I use a weather tight cable feed through that is big enough to cinch down on the cable, but large enough (you can remove the rubber insert) to allow the ends, with lugs, to pass through.   

BTW, I'm using an M2 Orion 2800 to turn my F12 2 element 40.  Not one problem with the rotator.    I am also using a Green Heron Engineering RT-21 to control it.  Works great.

Tom, N2SR

Thanks for the info Tom,  I kinda like the easy to find trailer connector idea.  They are obviously rated for outdoor wet environments  Cheesy   Sounds like you have a bullet proof arrangement with the PVC box.  FB on your M2 2800 turning the F12 2EL 40.  I am putting up a JK Antennas 3 EL 40 and I also have the Green Heron RT-21 controller.  Hope to have it up and running in a couple of weeks.  Want to be ready for the Bouvet Dxpedition in January.  Will be an ATNO for me.  From the propagation charts available on their webpage we should have good results on 40.   Also looking at the decline in the sunspot cycle, 40 may be our money band for a few years !

Bob
K6UJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: