The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL 160 - DX Worked ?  (Read 709 times)
N3HEE

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »

I made 64 five point contacts.  Only about 5 called me during my many runs.  According to RBN I was getting spotted in EU but not very strong compared to some others I checked.  Just wondering how you worked your five pointers.  I'm guessing most were made during runs?

How many five point contacts did you make ?

How many called you while you were running ?

How many did you get by S&P ?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »

I was too tired Friday night, so I only operated 3 hours on Saturday night.  According to N1MM, it was 3: 15, from about 6 pm to 9 pm.   400 Q's, 22 of which were DX.   All called me.  I did not S&P.  Well, I did, 3 Q's, but not any DX. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
WE6C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »

I made 64 five point contacts.  Only about 5 called me during my many runs.  According to RBN I was getting spotted in EU but not very strong compared to some others I checked.  Just wondering how you worked your five pointers.  I'm guessing most were made during runs?

How many five point contacts did you make ?

How many called you while you were running ?

How many did you get by S&P ?

I do 99% S & P, paper log and paper dupe sheet. Approx 180 QSO's (a lot for me) and one DX. Here on the west coast I've never heard EU but hear JA's pretty well and usually get a couple. This time I heard a couple JA's but they were S & P so I never found them. Never heard HI. Worked just about every state with good signals. Only heard one AK, worked it and he was strong here in Northern CA.

Noise levels in my neck of the woods was nice and low. I hope it stays that way for the rest of winter.

Bob  WE6C
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:46 AM »

I only put about 6 hours in to the ARRL 160 - just doing high rate assisted "turbo" S&P until I found a run frequency, then started running. When it would get slow, I went back upstairs. I worked about 25 EU out of 583 overall contacts, plus the usual Caribbean and SA/NA five pointers.

Probably half called me, but I was able to work most of the CQing EU stations I could hear - the trick was pulling them out of the US stations CQing on top of them. The selectivity of the K3 helped - this was one of the few times I was using the 250hz filter and even narrowing down.

Of course, there is no exchange in this contest for a DX station - if there had been a serial number or power level, it would have been a lot tougher.

But, the rate in pulling them out was probably at least 3 times slower than just working more W/VEs and since those DX stations are only worth 2.5x as many points as yet another MDC station, not really worth spending the time unless it was also a new multiplier.  A new mult was worth about 6 QSOs for me, so worth more time.

My strategy in almost all contests in this scenario: If I don't get through in the first call or two, I put that freq in VFO B and move on. Then I switch to stereo audio (~ in N1MM) and listen while I work other stations. When the pileup slows down, I'll go back and try a few more times.

That wasn't as effective in 160M test because of all the US stations CQing on top of the DX stations required more concentration than usual and I had to actually copy the US station exchange. A better SO2R op probably had no problem.

I was never a fan of the DX window idea, but between US stations covering up juicy DX in the ARRL 160 and EU doing it to US stations in the CQ WW 160, you can see where the idea came from.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: