The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used to be that I could work the world with 100 watts and a wet noodle.....  (Read 2544 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »

.....Not anymore.....even with an upgrade to 400 watts......this is absolutely horrid....horrid horrid horrid....a solar flux of 68....A indexes over 20.....how in the bloody hell does this work?Huh.....when there are ZERO spots yet magnetic field disturbances abound?Huh....someone please explain the differences to me......these conditions are an absolute miserable joke!.....I can't even hear Canada on friggin 40 meters!.....(no sense in complaining, Vince...no where to go but up!.....blabity blabity blabity).....Really???....please spare me the aloof talk.....these trends are quite disturbing for more than one reason....and  have been for a very long time.....but now, with these numbers, this has to be the worst I ever heard it......those of you who keep predicting gloom and doom for the hobby...if that happens, it will be because of this perpetual funk on the HF bands, not because of the internet or iPhones, or no one under 50 years old is interested......absolutely terrible.....I think I will have to go the Echolink from now on....until things get better.....if they ever do.....

V
K3NRX

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »

.....Not anymore

Just a few months ago in WAG contest, conditions on 20M and 15M were as good as I had ever heard them. Just ridiculously good.

This past weekend in ARRL 160M was spectacularly good. Lots of EU's as loud as locals.

Conditions are quite disturbed today. This morning even the strong EU's stations on 20M were like ghosts. You can see evidence of the disturbance on the solarham.net excerpt below, but actually on air conditions are even suckier than I would expect.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

I think I will have to go the Echolink from now on....until things get better.....if they ever do.....

V
K3NRX

Hamsphere is better. SDR without the radio.  Roll Eyes
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

Conditions are quite disturbed today. This morning even the strong EU's stations on 20M were like ghosts. You can see evidence of the disturbance on the solarham.net excerpt below, but actually on air conditions are even suckier than I would expect.

I was going to blame global warming. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »

I was going to blame global warming. Grin

Spend the next two months up here, and you will see what global warming feels like...still COLD! Grin
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »

Yup. Also here in Denmark. The coldest winter in 5 years is expected.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

80 and 40 have been great the last week but looks like with the disturbance today things might turn south.  When I can work EU on 80M, including ZA1WW, in the evenings from CO life is pretty darn good.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »

I don't know how 40/80/160 are these days but my 2 watt WSPR signal was decoded a few days ago by ZL2AFP on 630 meters. What propagation we may be losing on the higher bands, we may be gaining on the lower bands.

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »

I actually quite enjoy the "bad" CONDX. In the recent CQWW contests (both SSB & CW), the "bad" CONDX allowed me to sleep several hours both nights (single op / single band 20m). I'm not a spring chicken anymore and I'm not sure how I would handle better CONDX that would keep the band open non-stop day and night. That would force me to be awake the entire 48 hours of the contest!!! Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

I actually quite enjoy the "bad" CONDX. In the recent CQWW contests (both SSB & CW), the "bad" CONDX allowed me to sleep several hours both nights (single op / single band 20m). I'm not a spring chicken anymore and I'm not sure how I would handle better CONDX that would keep the band open non-stop day and night. That would force me to be awake the entire 48 hours of the contest!!! Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
You would have to pace yourself Marvin, like the rest of us!

Obie N5VYS
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »

I actually quite enjoy the "bad" CONDX. In the recent CQWW contests (both SSB & CW), the "bad" CONDX allowed me to sleep several hours both nights (single op / single band 20m).
Marvin VE3VEE

Talk about putting a positive spin on a bad situation. This kind of go hand in hand with my 'tactic' of skipping the first day of a contest. No matter how bad the propagation, I'm heard a lot better on Sunday than on Saturday. Grin

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »

I actually quite enjoy the "bad" CONDX. In the recent CQWW contests (both SSB & CW), the "bad" CONDX allowed me to sleep several hours both nights (single op / single band 20m).
Marvin VE3VEE

Talk about putting a positive spin on a bad situation. This kind of go hand in hand with my 'tactic' of skipping the first day of a contest. No matter how bad the propagation, I'm heard a lot better on Sunday than on Saturday. Grin

Marvin....the older you get the less sleep you need.....suck it up!..... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin......these conditions SUCK!.....and it's become mighty mighty old....

V
K3NRX

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »

I don't know how 40/80/160 are these days but my 2 watt WSPR signal was decoded a few days ago by ZL2AFP on 630 meters. What propagation we may be losing on the higher bands, we may be gaining on the lower bands.

Not even.....I am listening on 80 CW now....everything spotted, I still can't hear.....Ireland, South Shetland....and on 40 last night, could barely hear Dani ZS3D.....and he couldn't hear me......what a drag, man..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.....

V
K3NRX

WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »

K3NRX I have a friend that lives in Bloomsburg pa lives in town with a small back yard and really no front yard . He has a Force 12 C-3 at 28 feet or less and he is on the DXCC mixed Honor Roll .

I  have used and tested the G5RV Jr G5RV the G5RV-M at different heights. I used many wire antenna over the years I have held my license.

Where you live does not look like a place a ham could build nice antenna farm but  I honestly don't know why you insist on using such a  poor antenna as your bio says you use. 

The bands as some have pointed out are not as bad as you make them out to be. I have been qrt 80-10 for pass year and not listening around much except on 160  but I did listen on 80 tonight and TZ4AM was solid S9 on by SE Beverage the South Shetland station was S5 and I do not have my south beverage hooked up, or I would bet he was stronger than S5 to my location . No 80 transmit hooked up either .  Though these Beverage I use are designed for 160 they still hear well on 80

Maybe you have a high noise level ? Maybe you should try and put up a better antenna. Take a look at this information if you have not seen it . Perhaps something in this might help with Receive on your end . Do you have a high QRN level at your home?
http://wwrof.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WWROF-WEBNAIR-RX-Antennas-for-a-Small-Lot-.pdf
There is a lot of great information in this Webnair besides on receive antennas .
Also what about one of these Vertical dipoles? They are simple and effective from what I read and hear from other ops. https://nextgenerationantennas.com/

I used a G5RV-M at 70 feet on 80 meters and yes it did work and yes I worked a few countries with it but when I built a shorten vertical  T on 80 with 2 elevated radials then I started to work DX on 80 like never before . I have used the G5RV on 160 thought 30 and it is a poor antenna at best .

You are not hearing DX nor working any because you Choose NOT to IMHO ! Hey I worked 100 countries in 21 days with a G5RV jr mounted at 23 feet and 100 watts . Including JT and 3B but that was 2004 and not now! But also my closes neighbor is 1/2 mile away and it seems I am in a quiet location to hear well on poor wire antennas . I would not waste my time trying for a new one with a G5RV .

73 JIM
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:41:50 PM by WB3CQM » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »

Believe it or not, I had excellent results (esp on 40 and 80) from 2007-2009 when the Solar Flux was like a dead heartbeat line....flat for months and months.  Although there were a few things happening on 20 and 17, the conditions seemed to be superb on lower bands. 

I put up a vertical and 16 radials for 40 and 80, and I was SHOCKED at my results with 100 watts from North Carolina.  In casual operating I was able to get DXCC on both 40 and 80 From 2007-2009.  Granted, it IS easier from the Eastern half of North America, but I was using a stock Kenwood TS570D and no special receive antennas.  90% of my time was on CW, and I think that makes a big difference.  Plus I have Extra CW privileges, and rarely was I outside of the bottom 25 kHz on either band.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: