The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used to be that I could work the world with 100 watts and a wet noodle.....  (Read 3283 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »

I am still working DX using a modest amplifier and my collection of wire antennas strung between trees.  Mostly on 160/40/30 meters.  Already have over 200 countries on 80 so I've been spending most of my time on 160 when 160 and 80 are both open.  Recent new ones on 160 are 5T5, J5, and OH0.  Lots of new ones on 40--3C0, D2,C21, 9U4, VK9M, J5, and 3C1.  On 30 running 200 watts--3C0, 3C1, 9G5, and VK9.  And it was nice to finally confirm Antarctica on Phone via LoTW  Grin

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:13:14 PM by W1VT » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:06 AM »

K3NRX I have a friend that lives in Bloomsburg pa lives in town with a small back yard and really no front yard . He has a Force 12 C-3 at 28 feet or less and he is on the DXCC mixed Honor Roll .

I  have used and tested the G5RV Jr G5RV the G5RV-M at different heights. I used many wire antenna over the years I have held my license.

Where you live does not look like a place a ham could build nice antenna farm but  I honestly don't know why you insist on using such a  poor antenna as your bio says you use.  

The bands as some have pointed out are not as bad as you make them out to be. I have been qrt 80-10 for pass year and not listening around much except on 160  but I did listen on 80 tonight and TZ4AM was solid S9 on by SE Beverage the South Shetland station was S5 and I do not have my south beverage hooked up, or I would bet he was stronger than S5 to my location . No 80 transmit hooked up either .  Though these Beverage I use are designed for 160 they still hear well on 80

Maybe you have a high noise level ? Maybe you should try and put up a better antenna. Take a look at this information if you have not seen it . Perhaps something in this might help with Receive on your end . Do you have a high QRN level at your home?
http://wwrof.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WWROF-WEBNAIR-RX-Antennas-for-a-Small-Lot-.pdf
There is a lot of great information in this Webnair besides on receive antennas .
Also what about one of these Vertical dipoles? They are simple and effective from what I read and hear from other ops. https://nextgenerationantennas.com/

I used a G5RV-M at 70 feet on 80 meters and yes it did work and yes I worked a few countries with it but when I built a shorten vertical  T on 80 with 2 elevated radials then I started to work DX on 80 like never before . I have used the G5RV on 160 thought 30 and it is a poor antenna at best .

You are not hearing DX nor working any because you Choose NOT to IMHO ! Hey I worked 100 countries in 21 days with a G5RV jr mounted at 23 feet and 100 watts . Including JT and 3B but that was 2004 and not now! But also my closes neighbor is 1/2 mile away and it seems I am in a quiet location to hear well on poor wire antennas . I would not waste my time trying for a new one with a G5RV .

73 JIM

Jim....with all due respect, in my shoeboxes I have 301 DXCCs that include the following 7 deleteds: M-V Island, Walvis Bay, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Dutch Islands: St. Maarten, et.al., Dutch Islands: Netherlands Antillies (Bonaire/Curacao) and the Southern Sudan (circa 1990)...with the rarest of the rare from the current most wanted list including Mt. Athos, Macquarie Island, Midway Island, Johnston Island, Kure Island, San Felix Island, and Turkmenistan, all done with a G5RV....These conditions and this sunspot cycle both Suck Eggs!.....the defense rests.... Roll Eyes

Now...for all of you super nerds out there....can someone please explain to me how we have a Solar Flux that is pathetically low, yet, the A and the K indexes are in double digits in what seems like forever?Huh......perhaps I am not schooled real well with the inner workings of the sun, but for the magnetic fields to be having these recurring coniptions, shouldn't we have at least 1 stupid sunspot?......Frustrating....bloody frustrating......

V
K3NRX

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:03:18 AM by K3NRX » Logged
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:04 AM »

I guess you have be boxed in Vince and I must apologize for thinking you can not work or hear the dx> But bottom line is  your Antenna was NOT working last night right on 80 ? How did you make out on VK0EK and VP8SGI using a G5RV ?

I probably know as much about the G5RV as anyone on the ham bands and the antenna is a poor inefficient wire that when things get poor you will struggle even more trying to work dx . Fact is in 10 years plus of using all those G5RV I had I never heard or worked a station long path. Not saying you can not or someone has not .

73 best of luck in 2018 dxing
jim
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:05 AM »

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/geomagnetic-storms
Together, all of these currents, and the magnetic deviations they produce on the ground, are used to generate a planetary geomagnetic disturbance index called Kp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-index
The A index is basically a daily average of the K index, calculated in a meaningful way.

Propagation forecasts are based on monthly averages of solar slux.  While it may seem intuitively obvious that a daily solar flux would yield better predictions, scientific studies indicate that this intuition is wrong.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:16:57 AM by W1VT » Logged
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:01 AM »

If you are not hearing Canada on 40 you have a major antenna problem. Lots of good dx on on the band.

.....Not anymore.....even with an upgrade to 400 watts......this is absolutely horrid....horrid horrid horrid....a solar flux of 68....A indexes over 20.....how in the bloody hell does this work?Huh.....when there are ZERO spots yet magnetic field disturbances abound?Huh....someone please explain the differences to me......these conditions are an absolute miserable joke!.....I can't even hear Canada on friggin 40 meters!.....(no sense in complaining, Vince...no where to go but up!.....blabity blabity blabity).....Really???....please spare me the aloof talk.....these trends are quite disturbing for more than one reason....and  have been for a very long time.....but now, with these numbers, this has to be the worst I ever heard it......those of you who keep predicting gloom and doom for the hobby...if that happens, it will be because of this perpetual funk on the HF bands, not because of the internet or iPhones, or no one under 50 years old is interested......absolutely terrible.....I think I will have to go the Echolink from now on....until things get better.....if they ever do.....

V
K3NRX

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 06:46:51 AM »

If you are not hearing Canada on 40 you have a major antenna problem. Lots of good dx on on the band.

Unless the day was yesterday. Yesterday was the suckiest day I have ever heard on 40M. It sucked in the morning at the 1300Z CWT session and it sucked at night in the 0300Z CWT session. Normally at 1300Z it would be a nice regional band, instead it sucked. Normatlly at night in the winter it would be good long, but it was "too long" and only stations far to the west or south had decent signals. Everyone else was a ghost.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:01 AM »

Geomagnetic storms are resulting from the increased solar wind streams from recurrent coronal holes.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:41:45 AM »

Unless the day was yesterday. Yesterday was the suckiest day I have ever heard on 40M. It sucked in the morning at the 1300Z CWT session and it sucked at night in the 0300Z CWT session. Normally at 1300Z it would be a nice regional band, instead it sucked. Normatlly at night in the winter it would be good long, but it was "too long" and only stations far to the west or south had decent signals. Everyone else was a ghost.

And let me guess....your antenna is not a G5RV.....hmmmm...Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.....Just say'n......

V
K3NRX

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:37 AM »

And let me guess....your antenna is not a G5RV.....hmmmm...Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.....Just say'n......

V
K3NRX

Vince, why not try to order one of the Carolina Windom 40 antennas from Radio Works while they last. They are shorter than the G5RV and work a whole lot better. You will give up 80 meters though.
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »

Or just a plain old every day 40M or 80M inverted V, they work well in a pinch?

Especially with a little horse power

Obie N5VYS
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 05:45:56 AM »

I guess you have be boxed in Vince and I must apologize for thinking you can not work or hear the dx> But bottom line is  your Antenna was NOT working last night right on 80 ? How did you make out on VK0EK and VP8SGI using a G5RV ?

I probably know as much about the G5RV as anyone on the ham bands and the antenna is a poor inefficient wire that when things get poor you will struggle even more trying to work dx . Fact is in 10 years plus of using all those G5RV I had I never heard or worked a station long path. Not saying you can not or someone has not .

73 best of luck in 2018 dxing
jim

Fiddlesticks.  20M is open nearly 24/7 for me on FT8 using a G5RV.  All it takes is mounting it high enough (40ft+) and flat enough to actually form a pattern and low angle radiation, and making sure said lobes are pointed in useful directions (North/South Broadside for me).

47 Countries worked / 3 ATNOs (I'm over 200) since the start of December, casual operating (I'm too busy making YT Videos lol).

Just today:
5T1A on 40M
TR8CA on 20M

Yesterday:
V51YJ 20M

Day Before:
3B8CF 20M
T6TM 20M
GD3YUM 20M

The only bad antenna is one thats not designed for your needs & to get the most out of your situation.

Let me guess - I just have magic soil?  Thats without duping anyone too, btw.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:09:33 AM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 06:16:39 AM »

KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »

Interesting discussions.  I've been a ham for less than 3 years so I lack the perspective on how "bad" the bands are now.  Not knowing what good conditions are like I'd have to say there is still plenty of interesting contacts to be made .  Admittedly there have been a few times when the bands were so quiet I went outside to see if the antennas were still up.

From a QTH in central MN I can work SSB DX almost every day on at least one band at some time of the day. 10M is pretty much always dead although even there one evening I had multiple contacts on 100W with a rag chew group in Virginia.  (tropo ducting?).

This is a great hobby even with all it's various challenges.  I can't wait until the conditions return to what the old hands consider good!

73's
KD0ZGW

LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »

Everybody should focus less on the type of antenna.  The secret to DX is getting the antenna as HIGH as possible. or having a vertical with good ground plane.

Running with simple wires here, but have a decent tower for height support.  I hear people complain about poor condx, but I still having fun here at 63N.
Been improving on DXCC challenge from 1850 to 2440 since 2014, when I moved to the countryside.

Another factors are using effective modes for DX.  CW or FT8 works great.  Killing off local noise sources using ferrite cores everywhere, is another important task...
Thats why you do not live in a dense populated neigbourhood.   Having S-zero local noise is wonderful, and makes the DX hobby so much better.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 06:23:58 AM »

Interesting discussions.  I've been a ham for less than 3 years so I lack the perspective on how "bad" the bands are now.  Not knowing what good conditions are like I'd have to say there is still plenty of interesting contacts to be made .  Admittedly there have been a few times when the bands were so quiet I went outside to see if the antennas were still up.

From a QTH in central MN I can work SSB DX almost every day on at least one band at some time of the day. 10M is pretty much always dead although even there one evening I had multiple contacts on 100W with a rag chew group in Virginia.  (tropo ducting?).

This is a great hobby even with all it's various challenges.  I can't wait until the conditions return to what the old hands consider good!

73's
KD0ZGW

3 Years ago was definitely better, no doubt about it; but a G5RV has gain over a dipole on 20M and appropriately mounted it has a very very useful pattern.

Long & Short Paths both NA/SA & EU for me, with minor lobes facing Antarctica and SE Asia.

At 25ft it was average at best; at 45ft 20M is open 24/7.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: