The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Antenna Support  (Read 337 times)
K2QB

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »

OK so I've been looking for a non-guyed support around 30ft or so to hold up one end of my wire antenna. Seen lots or articles about building supports, using tubes, pipe etc. but I started thinking about a flagpole. If it can stand up to a flag blowing in the wind as far as wind load, it surely can stand up to a wire attached to it. I was thinking of the below. Curious as to what others think.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZD0HY7/ref=psdc_13923601_t1_B01MQK3JKH
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »

I'll be interested to read any responses of folks who have tried one of these flag poles. 

I am very sceptical about the pole holding up one end of a 40 meter dipole.  I have mine held by two trees and it seems to take a lot of force to hold my 40 meter dipole in the air. 

Good luck and please share what happens if you do try it. 

Using that flag pole with  insulated guys and insulated at the base for a vertical is doable.  73, Mike
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »

a fiberglass alternative.  But  more money and might flex if that looks ugly to you. The HD version  is more stout.  They attend hamfests to avoid shipping.  https://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-mast.htm     let us know if you go with the ALU one, it sure looks nice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:04:46 PM by KENNETH » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »

Quote from: KE4ILG

I am very sceptical about the pole holding up one end of a 40 meter dipole.  I have mine held by two trees and it seems to take a lot of force to hold my 40 meter dipole in the air... 

That depends a lot on the tension, materials and how it is supported.

I use thin wire and don't put much tension on it.  If the feedpoint is supported there may
be very little sideways pull (but more in the wind.)  On the other hand, if you are using
heavy wire and a big balun fed with RG-213, and trying to support the antenna only by
the ends, then it will either need a lot of tension or it will sag considerably, and there will
be much more lateral stress on the support.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »

30' for $84 is a good start. With a inverted V where the two anchored ends act like guys or if using two masts a guy pulling aganist the wire on both ends it should be ok. The guys can have a fairly steep angle if space is an issue.  Set a pole that the mast will slip over in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete to avoid losing any of the 30' in the ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: