The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897 no power out  (Read 730 times)
KC9JYW

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

I purchased an ft-897 that receives fine all bands but no power out on any except it is showing just a few watts on 430MHz. The transmit light lights up like it should when keying with mic or home button on FM.  The internal fans kick on when keying up. The menus are stock settings as are the hidden menu settings. everything seems as it should except no output.  Try ed everything with a dummyload.  Any ideas what else I can try before sending in to a shop?  I can do some tech work but do not have all equipment to thoroughly check the rig.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:24 AM »

Testing with a dummy load is a great start.
Have you tried a complete reset of the rig?

-Mike.
KC9JYW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »

Yes that was the first thing that I had done.  I have finished the relay clean thinking that may have been a factor but no luck as of yet.  Not really knowing where to go from this point. I am thinking voltage regulator or finals at this point.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »

What test eqpt is available?
You can at least verify voltage is getting to the finals.

-Mike.
KC9JYW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »

voltage meter and rf probe just received today. Just have to find the correct location to test...
KC9JYW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »

I am getting voltage to the finals 13.97v with the bial at .637.  I did put the radio on another watt meter and am getting about 3-5 watts total across the board. It seems to climb up if I keep the rig keyed but by only a couple watts total.  Any ideas?
KC9JYW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:23 AM »

WA3SKN thank you for replying to my problem when no one else would. I have decided to sell as is. I am not that inclined to try this on my own with no help. I will try to learn more in the future without destroying my radio.  Once again I want to thank you.  73
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »

I am getting voltage to the finals 13.97v with the bial at .637.  I did put the radio on another watt meter and am getting about 3-5 watts total across the board. It seems to climb up if I keep the rig keyed but by only a couple watts total.  Any ideas?
Before going crazy testing things, did you verify that the power is set to max?
Are you using CW mode or FM mode to test?

The bias looks about right for a bipolar transistor.

Since the issue is on all bands, it may be a PA driver problem, not delivering enough power to drive the bases of the finals.
You might not have the equipment to figure it out, though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: