The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-818 - Same as the old boss?  (Read 16474 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »

At least one outlet reports "Yaesu announced a new FT-817ND replacement is on the way -- the FT-818!"

>  6w instead of 5w on external power.
>  Larger battery capacity
>  Improved frequency stability

Hmmm..  And "only" $849

Technology has come a long way since the FT-817/ND, and there always was a surplus of room inside that little case...

Seems they could have included some:

>USB audio I/O
>Speech processor
>Automatic Doppler correction for SAT use (always wondered why the industry/hobby doesn't have something, maybe like an enhanced Kep file that includes frequencies and tones for loading directly into a radio memory so the sat ID could appear on the screen and be ready to go)

Just saying...
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »

Words alone cannot express how disappointed I am in Yaesu.  Shame Yaesu, shame.

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-818-transceiver.html?&utm_source=EMAIL&utm_medium=FT818&utm_content=FT-818&utm_campaign=02232018EMAIL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »

Now this one says March, the other ad from the U.K. said April...

I'm not terribly impressed at all...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KQ4KK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

They should have included by this time, a SDR receiver.

Which means if they did this to the 818, then not much hope that YAESU will do any meaningful updates to any other radios.

What they are doing new is putting new lipstick on an old radio.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »

What a pathetic  attempt to release a new radio.

They did not even try and harness the latest technology. The pathetic LCD  display could have been replaced with a TFT color screen or some other screen technology rather than 1980's technology.

Even more embarrassing is the lack of new features or any attempt to make the radio better or  have  better battery life.  With great batteries around like the 18650 cells why not more power and longer lasting battery technology?

Then lets talk about QRP. Why not a nice small Auto ATU that tunes everything from random wires to short vertical? They could have built a small motor driver circuit that could drive a magnetic loop tuning capacitor.

Then they could have increased the power output, 20 to 25 watts would have been ideal considering where we are in the Sunspot cycle.

I suppose we will have the same crap receiver and transmitter specifications as the FT817.

There was so much Yaesu could have done to make a  better QRP/portable radio design. They not even trying. This is just a rehash design for cash flow. Most of the Chinese radios put this  new Yaesu to shame. Then to think that theres Ebay Kit radio like the McHf that makes  new Yaesu look like terrible value for money.

Its pathetic attempt at a new radio design. I am sure they will sell and they destined to lay in the ham shack desk draw like most HT's
M6EES

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »

I think because they know that chinese manufacturers can beat them on price...ok maybe not on quality, but people dont seem to care and are buying the cheapo. This was always going to be the issue with the emergence of cheap imports. The 817 was still selling and at this price point the 818 will sell too. They will make their money on volume. Why stick their neck out on high tec high price risk ?
M6EES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »

But they should have at least sorted the power out. I wanted, and still want, an 817 but with 2.5w out on battery its totally pointless unless you habe coastline or high places you can get to....so i had to fork out for a kx2.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »

Can we also assume that you can't use it full duplex on satellite too? If it that function I would buy one.

Zack
N8FNR
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »

Can we also assume that you can't use it full duplex on satellite too? If it that function I would buy one.

Zack
N8FNR

Nope.  No new features.  A slightly better but still extremely lame NiMh battery.  Why no lithium?  My cell phone has a larger capacity battery (much smaller physically)  They are at LEAST 10 years behind technology wise.  They now include the TCXO that they offered as an option.  Whooo Hoo.. should have been in there to begin with.  They maybe have sorted out the final delicate FET problems, Maybe.  But this is more of a bug fix upgrade than upgrade. Like I said, I have never been more let down and dissapointed in a new release of a radio in my life.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »

The "NEW" FT 818 ? What a joke.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016097

Power up from 5 watts to 6 watts......really? That's suppose to good?  .79 DB gain !
My KX2 and KX3 started out with 10 watts. After a simple firmware update it could do 15 watts out....and Yaesu thinks upping by one what is a selling point?
This is all moot to me since I only run 5 watts anyway.
My cell phone has a 5000 mah battery. There are after market LiPo batteries for the Yaesu that are twice what Yaesu is offering. Doesn't Yaesu realize that?

To me, when it comes to a new model (FT 818 over an FT 817) this is the joke of the century !

Hong Kong came out with the X5105, which is less expensive than the FT 818 and it has 10 times the features the FT 818 has. It may not have VHF/UHF, but when it comes to features.... ?

From a  marketing stand point, Yaesu should have called this radio the FT 817ND +, like Icom did with the IC 703 and Kenwood with the TS590S to an SG.

Barry

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »

The "NEW" FT 818 ? What a joke.

There must be something more than what is being published so far, if not, not sure what to think of this 'new' model.

They 'milked this cow dry' for close to 20 years. New quality QRP radios have been released in the intervening years, and this is all they can come up with.

There is always a segment of the market that will buy a new radio, not matter what, bragging rights are very important to some people, but I can't see the 818 selling like the 817 did while it was 'king'.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »

I was looking to see if they at least increased the VHF receive to at least 163 MHz to have the US weather band on it. (162~162.6) In the past some people griped about this lack of coverage because they take the radio out on the trail and it would be nice to listen to the weather and monitor changing or dangerous conditions.

Oh well
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

"It may not have VHF/UHF"

That is the clincher. The whole 817 mojo is the wide coverage. And the form factor. All the newcomers, SDR though they may be, are larger, more delicate, at least to the appearance, and don't have the VHF/UHF coverage that puts the 817 in a class of its own.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 06:03:56 AM »

I couldn't believe the news.

As far as I'm concerned,  this is the 'golden screwdriver' + eBay pack, and easily the most disappointing follow up ever released.

Clearly yaesu just couldn't get a part or two on their current 817ND Bill of Materials and decided to put on this stunt.

Shame on you Yeasu.  Expect a 'what the hell yaesu' video....

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 06:07:35 AM »

Turns out this radio is a big "nothing burger". What is the company thinking, this could have been the ultimate radio. My gosh, if they had made it conservative with power consumption, sdr receiver with all the software filters, it would have been awesome. They are not listening to their customer base.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: