The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transceiver for JTDX?  (Read 1190 times)
KA1OWC

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »

Is there a reasonably priced transceiver that contains all of the needed stuff to immediately get up and running on the "JT-XX" data systems (not including computer of course)? I hear a lot about needed sound-cards, interfaces, and so on...Want to keep it simple if possible! Thanks!

Steve, KA1OWC
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Army Nurse Corps
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »

Is there a reasonably priced transceiver that contains all of the needed stuff to immediately get up and running on the "JT-XX" data systems (not including computer of course)? I hear a lot about needed sound-cards, interfaces, and so on...Want to keep it simple if possible! Thanks!

Ic-7300 Makes it as simple as it gets. It will also work true CW with N1MM+ logging software as well as ALL digital modes.  It will also drive the N1MM+ spectrum display with embedded telnet clickable spots. The 7300 will run the virtual serial interface at 115,200 bps which is fast enough to make a good rendered spectral display and waterfall.

The "interface" between the radio and the computer is nothing but a simple USB cable and the audio both ways goes over this cable, the CAT control of the transciver over the virtual serial port goes over this and if needed or desired the actual CW keying can go over this cable too using virtual DTR pin.  NO winkey device no interface or control box of any kind needed.  This will work fine for FLdigi too for dozens of different digital modes, including RTTY of course.

If you need help getting it set up just drop me an email with you contact info and I can assist you.  I have an IC-7300, and I can get you rolling on digital. 

73  James K0UA
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:00:17 AM by K0UA » Logged
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009608

James: Would this work as well for me as the 7300?

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009608

James: Would this work as well for me as the 7300?

It will work fine.  It doesn't have the DSP features that the 7300 has, it is not quite as intuitive to operate, and does not have quite as good of a receiver as the 7300.  In other words it is an older radio and an older design.  But yes, it will work fine. It is also several hundred cheaper.  But you truly do get what you pay for.  I have helped several guys get the 7100's and 7200's up and running.
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »

Thanks...I think I will order one...I can use the difference in price to purchase a tuner...Any particular tuner you would recommend? Thanks again!

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »

Thanks...I think I will order one...I can use the difference in price to purchase a tuner...Any particular tuner you would recommend? Thanks again!

Well, I have an LGS Z11proii   But there are many good auto tuners out there. I don't have a lot of experience with different tuners, perhaps others could help here with recommendations.   The 7300's built in tuner will tune 3:1 SWR in normal full power mode and close to 10:1 in "emergency" mode with a reduced power of 50 watts.  I mention this because if there is any way you can swing the extra several hundred bucks for the 7300 vs the 7200, you will get an awful lot more radio. The up front pain will subside in the joy of operating the 7300.  But you got to do what you got to do.  Smiley
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »

Guess I didn't realize that the 7300 had the built in tuner...As I mentioned, I am new at HF of any sort...Will probably try to put up a EFLW antenna so I will need a tuner...Hummm...Decisions, decisions...Sounds like the 7300 would give me all I need now and in the future...

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »

Guess I didn't realize that the 7300 had the built in tuner...As I mentioned, I am new at HF of any sort...Will probably try to put up a EFLW antenna so I will need a tuner...Hummm...Decisions, decisions...Sounds like the 7300 would give me all I need now and in the future...

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002065

1199.95 after rebate..   I guarantee you will not be dissapointed with this radio. Now or in the future.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »

Realize that the built-in tuner does not have the range of external tuners.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »

Realize that the built-in tuner does not have the range of external tuners.

Very true.  The internal tuner on the 7300 is 3:1 but if you can stand dropping down to 50 watts it will do about 10:1  in "emergency" mode.  But it is best to get your antenna systems within the 3:1 range of the built in tuner.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

Steve, bottom line the 7100 and the 7200 are very good older design transcievers.  It is not that they are not good, it is that the 7300 is such a leap ahead in technology for the money.  Don't let me "upsell" you if getting the 7300 would be a hardship on the budget. Either of the other two radios will work just fine and have thousands of adherents. I am so high on the 7300 because I have one, and bought it as a "backup" radio to my main station radio the Icom 756pro3. A radio I paid $2700 for a few years ago.

But within a few hours of playing with the 7300, I shoved the 756pro3 over in the corner and relegated it to "backup" status. It kinda hurts to know that a radio I paid less than half of the money I paid for my main station radio outperforms it is so many way. The 7300 is the best value in the marketplace.  There are more expensive radios you can buy with more features and in some cases more performance, and less expensive radios you can buy with less features and performance. But in my opinion, there is not a greater value in cost/performance ratio out there.

But again, get what you want, and what you can afford.  But if your want/afford index comes close to the price of an Icom Ic7300, you will not be disappointed in what it will do and the ease and joy of operating it will last you thru the beginner phase and well into the future.  I have been licensed for almost 50 years, and have owned dozens of transceivers and this is the best one so far. What chaps my rear end is that I paid so little for it. Smiley

https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-7300.html

save a dollar   1198.95 at Gigaparts  Smiley  after mail in rebate form Icom
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:32:18 AM by K0UA » Logged
KD3WB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »

If you recently upgraded to General and are planning to use frequencies below 29 MHz, it might be a good idea to wait until the FCC officially grants the upgrade before ordering.

Ben
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:28:57 AM by KD3WB » Logged
KD3WB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »

Sorry, that should have been "below 28 MHz".

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: