The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-890  (Read 57672 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »

Gigaparts has a page for this new rig up, and it looks like it's not an SDR rig. They're billing it as a "full down conversion" rig. Bummer.

https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-ts-890s.html

S58DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »

Hi Gerard,
if the qouted receiver specifications are veryfiable,
that would be one of the best receivers so far...
Let us wait and see  Smiley
Though, i could not recall any manufacturer ( amateur radio, please)
ever used H-mode mixer...

I am hardcore Kenwood fan, thus i am biased Cool

Nermin S58DX
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

Disappointing look.
Competition is selling SDR radios with touch screens, here we have chopped 990.
Numbers? Damn we can not hear that for sure.
I'm also Kenwood fan, but not this rig.
Mike
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »

There is nothing disappointing about it.  Kenwood has probably built the ultimate analog front end meaning that this radio will tolerate RF environments that will crush the current DS SDR crowd.  Analog radios have an advantage in strong signal environments.  Before you go off half cocked read the presentation.

http://www.ab4oj.com/sdr/apdxc16_sdr.pdf

It will be very interesting to see where this rig winds up on the test reviews.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

RF environments that will crush the current DS SDR crowd.

I've been using DS SDR rigs for the past four years and during that time I've never encountered a single instance of RX overload. Not one. Even during major contests with the bands full of extremely strong signals from the superstations.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

At least it does not look like a cheap vcr or something.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »

Probably a year or more away. The vendors are taking reservations. Reserve yours today, so you can get yours a week or two before the vendors are fully stocked, and pay the highest price with maybe a few bugs thrown in Grin.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »

Probably a year or more away. The vendors are taking reservations. Reserve yours today, so you can get yours a week or two before the vendors are fully stocked, and pay the highest price with maybe a few bugs thrown in Grin.

The posted advertisement from Kenwood at Dayton says, "Coming this late Summer".
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »

The posted advertisement from Kenwood at Dayton says, "Coming this late Summer".

And recall that both Icom and Flex said something similar, which then translated into
"Summer + 9 months"  :-)
I have been in manufacturing for 30 years;  The marketing people tend to get a little excited about
potential revenue, but never give the engineers enough time.  Engineering (my area) then
finds various components that are causing trouble, not meeting anywhere near the component
vendors specs or reliability, leading to delays, etc.   Then we find the firmware teams having
bugs that did not show up in QA testing, hence more delays.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have been doing this long enough, yawn, that it feels a little like Bill Murray in that movie
"Groundhog Day" :-)    When the marketing folks say "Summer 2018", take that as a really
crude "Guess-timate".   They might be right, they are typically off by about 6 to 12 months.

Cheers
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

I stand corrected. Apparently, they don't follow the Flex or Icom routine. Good for them...reduces the salivating time for early adopters Wink.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

Disappointing look.
Competition is selling SDR radios with touch screens, here we have chopped 990.
Numbers? Damn we can not hear that for sure.
I'm also Kenwood fan, but not this rig.
Mike

You do realize that the TS-990s screen is a touch screen, don't you?

or maybe you don't.

73, Ed
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »

And recall that both Icom and Flex said something similar, which then translated into
"Summer + 9 months"  :-)
I have been in manufacturing for 30 years;  The marketing people tend to get a little excited about
potential revenue, but never give the engineers enough time.  Engineering (my area) then
finds various components that are causing trouble, not meeting anywhere near the component
vendors specs or reliability, leading to delays, etc.   Then we find the firmware teams having
bugs that did not show up in QA testing, hence more delays.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have been doing this long enough, yawn, that it feels a little like Bill Murray in that movie
"Groundhog Day" :-)    When the marketing folks say "Summer 2018", take that as a really
crude "Guess-timate".   They might be right, they are typically off by about 6 to 12 months.

Cheers
[/quote]

I don't see it being too much of a stretch for Kenwood to deliver the TS-890S by late summer.  The TS-890S appears to be nearly a clone of the TS-990S. It more than likely did not require any groundbreaking engineering, techniques, or parts to produce.  A TS-990S, minus some hardware, and a PA derived from the TS-590SG.  Barring any unforeseen FCC approval issues. It could possibly be available by September.  You may well be correct, but as always, time will tell.  Wink

73 Jim
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 01:40:35 PM »

You do realize that the TS-990s screen is a touch screen, don't you?
I did. Don't you realize, that it is kinda limited?
They just took 990 display and put it in.
Mike
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »

I am convinced that the Kenwood 890 is going to be better than many here seem to think.  The folks at Kenwood are well aware of the competition and if the 890 is a good as the K3S, then I expect it to be a real winner. 

Even if it is only as good as, or slightly better than the TS-590 then it is still a top tier radio from a performance standpoint.  We have gotten far too hung up on one single performance metric.  Unfortunately, most hams these days don't have the technical knowledge to understand what the sum of all of the test data mean in terms of over all performance.  The idea that a Direct Sampling radio is better by default is a false notion.  Lets just see how this rig shakes out.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

Remember Adam had posted that about SDR receivers back in 2016, since that time Icom brought a radio out called the 7610 with two Digi select front end filters which greatly increases the ability to operate in a rich RF environment, as a mater of fact they have used the digi select filter in radio's as early as the 7800, 7700 and now in both the 7851 and the 7610 which there are only a few db apart. A good example is K3LR's M/M station who keeps on setting records using Icom top rigs. The New Yaesu has something called a VC controlled front end but until there is more info its a buzz word. This new Kenwood hay have 150db blocking but at what separation 100Khz, 50Khz,20Khz,5Khz or 2Khz, now if its at 2Khz then that is dam good but even other top rigs just maybe come close. There is no sub RX and its TBA price is rumored around the $4k mark well maybe they better try around or lower than $3k.
Just remember Flex advertised great RMD numbers that just before Dayton they came out with a PEN which is there fancy word for recall and any radio's before April 12 had issues along with other discrepancies, I am soo glad I didn't go that way cause there so called first batch were 20db or so below stated specs. So far the one radio to hit the streets and had no issues meeting there RX specs has been Icom plus they have improved those somewhat since V1.06 has been released but has not been tested yet.
AS far as the K3S is concerned they do test well but why in the world does Elecraft try and compare there bones basic $3K plus radio against a radio you can buy today for $1k, the AKA 7300, if Kenwood want to compete they better sharpen that list price pencil really sharp, I really think that some of these manufactures are not really looking at the big picture but I see Icom is with both eye's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: