The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7610 Issues: The Top 2 EVERY Owner NEEDS to check for.  (Read 8744 times)
VK3BL

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:33:52 AM »

Hey Everyone,

I've put together a video showing the top 2 issues every IC-7610 owner needs to check for before their warranty expires; it is a must view as these issues are quite widespread.

You can find it here:

https://youtu.be/wPx1UPn4y_o

I hope it helps people - some radios are 6 months old now, and not everyone has the 5 year warranty VKs enjoy.

73, Jarrad VK3BL & the RMR Team

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:10:34 AM »

The biggest IC7610 bug. Icom does not know how to calibrate the S-meter on a direct sampling radio. The only direct sampling  receiver in the world that can be calibrated or represent something meaningful. Something that even 50 dollar dongles and their associated software can do. Now if something that is inherent in the architecture and it cant be displayed that is a major design fault or bug. I wonder when Icom will figure out something  as basic as this. A stunning failure really.
W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:21:16 AM »

"Heatsink Gate". Love it! Here's a nice summary from F5PBG of the IC-7610 group posts. Serial numbers span from early units to brand new units.

http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/t2137-icom-ic7610-radiateur-dissipateur-de-chaleur-interne-decolle-risque-de-panne-radioamateur
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 03:58:48 AM »

The biggest IC7610 bug. Icom does not know how to calibrate the S-meter on a direct sampling radio. The only direct sampling  receiver in the world that can be calibrated or represent something meaningful. Something that even 50 dollar dongles and their associated software can do. Now if something that is inherent in the architecture and it cant be displayed that is a major design fault or bug. I wonder when Icom will figure out something  as basic as this. A stunning failure really.

But But But I though we were all going to die from TX IMD?  Now its death from a lack of S meter calibration??  LOLROF

Zenki (AKA he who can't be named due to national security reasons) must not be feeling well.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »

But But But I though we were all going to die from TX IMD?  Now its death from a lack of S meter calibration??  LOLROF

Zenki (AKA he who can't be named due to national security reasons) must not be feeling well.

You mustn't have read enough ZENKI Wink

His pet peeves are IMD and S meter calibration. 

I can't say I really blame him on the later; it shouldn't be rocket science.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »

Oh no Jarrads back trying to get you all to watch his cheesy YouTube video's that HES HAS A FEW DIFFERENT ADVERTISERS ON, and guess what he is MAKING MONEY every time anyone watches it plus these issues he talks about are in a very small number of 7610's yet he make you think OH NO, some hams spend way to much time on BS like this guy. He used to have the slogan here on E ham Rate MY Radio at the bottom of his posts gut E ham told him it was a conflict of interest, he also has been claiming that he is helping hams yet he is also lining his pockets with extra cash. It was only a matter of time before he started this on E ham again cause his posts were taken down on the FB forum this morning. Hello Jarrad its me the ham you insulted my integrity and called me and idiot this morning on the FB 7610 forum, now we have your number and your misguided angle, I'm Back!
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »

I've put together a video
Anything for people who can read? Mike
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

Jarrad doesn't make any money unless you go to his YouTube video Mike plus world wide were looking at a hand full of radio's compared to over a 1000 7610's that have been sold. Almost every manufacturer that has had these types of displays has had some for of issues which start from running the gains on the LED's or brightness levels way to high, I find on the 7610 running the LCD Backlight and LED bright at 20% which gives great contrast between whites and blacks, again there is less than 5 radios with any issue at all and the same is true if you go to Adam Farson's Forum but this guy would want you to believe its allot more. He is like chicken little or the sky is falling, he used to place in his signature the RMR symbol for his little You Tube video company but I think they told him he could not post that here on E ham so he sneaks around it by stating you can find it here, does the word prostituting ones self come to mind.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »

I guess Flex and Icom are using the same brand of heatsink adhesive.  Both are suffering from the same problem.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:40:08 AM »

The Flex issue is addressed in a different manner, they place there heat sink on the bottom of the pcb board, the  ADC chip used by many companies heat transfer is to the circuit board and in the Icom if you look at were the chips are there are two Philips screws that attach to the main cast chassis that allow greater transfer of any temperature, the heat sink that is attached to the top of the chip is a secondary heat sink which on Icoms part is overkill cause the Anan 7000 uses the same two chips. BTW Adan Farson's forum stated from the service manual that these chips were the heavy duty version package which has an operating temp of -40 degree C to +85 degree C and BTW Jarrad says nothing about this cause he creates the effect that the sky is falling, simply making money of a con and disturbing many 7610 owners with this chicken little scam.
The 7300 uses the same secondary heat sink but with the 14 bit ADC package from the same company, if I were to make an educated guess I would say since it was a very small amount of radio's that had this issue that maybe the adhesive/glue used was maybe not cured for enough time before the assembly went to the next step and I am sure Icom will have an easy fix shortly but I strongly dis agree with these disruptive youtube video's Jarrad tries to promote for his own gain. I thought on these forum's you are not allowed to promote a site that you profit from.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »

This above post IMO could be taken by an end user of this radio like OMG what should I do, Please fellow hams this fellow wants you to think that every 7610 or radio has a heat sink falling off which is not true.
PLEASE DO NOT WATCH HIS LINK TO HIS YOUTUBE VIDEO, try and join Adam Farson's 7610 forum in which you will have more exact info, this above fellow has been propagating false truths for a while for personal gain and in some forums when questioned he has openly insulted many of these group members.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:15:02 AM »

This above post IMO could be taken by an end user of this radio like OMG what should I do, Please fellow hams this fellow wants you to think that every 7610 or radio has a heat sink falling off which is not true.
PLEASE DO NOT WATCH HIS LINK TO HIS YOUTUBE VIDEO, try and join Adam Farson's 7610 forum in which you will have more exact info, this above fellow has been propagating false truths for a while for personal gain and in some forums when questioned he has openly insulted many of these group members.

Wow you must be bored... I guess facebook wasn't enough when 75% of the group voted in my favour and you got banned...

All I want is to make sure owners of IC-7610s who only have 12 month warranty ensure their equipment doesn't sufferer from either of the two known issues.  That includes you idiot, given you own one!

You truly are a nut job Jim Idone, I do hope you start taking your meds.

What kind of idiot argues that it is OK for a metallic object (heatsink) to fall off and rattle around inside of a $3000 USD radio.

I'm just glad you don't live in VK, the amount of people who have contacted me warning me you're dangerously mentally ill is quite frankly scary.

For the record, I have a screenshot of Jim publicly stating that he has made his mission in life to get rid of me from every forum on the internet, amongst a whole host of other threats.  He is a bully, and I will not stand for it.

Thats all I will say about you, just like Facebook, you'll be blocked here too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:29:41 AM by VK3BL » Logged

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »

Just an update since we posted the video.  We now know of 4 confirmed cases of LCD 'burn in' (image persistence) in VK, but have yet to hear any reports of it occurring elsewhere.  This could be due to the fact VK got the IC-7610 before the rest of the world (excluding Japan), but only time will tell.

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »

I've put together a video
Anything for people who can read? Mike

I'm not sure how to post the photos here, but below I have included a link to Rate My Radio's Facebook Album containing the images.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.635294730166485.1073741830.528004047562221&type=1&l=41a0df796f

The easiest way to test your radio is to observe the background during power on, or run the screen calibration option in the settings menu.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:44:45 AM by VK3BL » Logged

VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

I guess the best way to avoid annoying touchscreen and LCD problems in a new radio is to make sure your new radio has neither.

Up until now, I have been leaning toward upgrading and purchasing one of these new touchscreen/bandscope radios in the next year or so.  Now I'm wondering if a more worry-free approach will be to buy a radio that is controlled only by an external computer which is cheaper and easier to replace entirely than to repair or replace the touch display in a radio.  Then I won't have to worry at all about a custom display degradation and/or repair job that needs unobtainable parts.

Judging by my own past experience and reading a lot on forums, displays of fluorescent, large LCD, or OLED type all seem to have limited lifetimes, less than the guts of the radio it seems.

73, Ed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: