The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Call Signs  (Read 2294 times)
W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »

So if you have KH6 plus one vanity call and you move to the East Coast and keep the call, does it get you a significant advantage in a contest? The Europeans are likely to pile up thinking it really is KH6......

My friends and I actually did this in the 1988 June VHF contest. We used the call KH6N from Southern California. That year, 6 meters was tremendously open the entire weekend with signals from all over the US. When we gave our grid as DM04, you could hear the disappointment in the operators voice on the next over.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »

Another interesting statistic is that over 44% of the current 1x3s are vanities. But again, that's because it's the only way to get them now. The last sequential 1x3s were issued in the 1960s.

You're forgetting 'N' 1x3's. That last one was issued in late 1997.

You're right--I had forgotten them. Shame on me.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »

Back in the day, looking up a station's location in the callbook was a chore.  Today, it is done online in a few seconds.  A complete non-issue. 
Yep.

And there's also the fact that the Callbook could easily be out-of-date. Callbooks weren't cheap, either - my 1993 "winged horse" US callbook cost $29.95 (that's  $51.58 in 2017 dollars!)

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »

The current Sequential Call Sign Assignment system that the FCC is using went into effect on 24 March 1978.

That's over 40 years ago, for those who are mathematically challenged.

For 40 years, the old requirement that you had to have a call to match the district in which you were living has not existed.

In the immortal words of The Eagles:  "Get Over It!"

Further, the current Vanity call sign system was authorized by Congress in 1993, the final rules put in place in December 1994, the fee schedule in June 1995, and the first Vanity call sign was issued on 31 May 1996.  That's over 22 years ago.  At that time, the FCC decided (whether wisely or not) not to limit Vanity requests for calls within the Continental US to the callsign district that they lived in.

It's done.  It's over.  It was a long fight to get the FCC off their inertia to finally implement what we have, and they are clearly not inclined to do much else.

Grousing about it does not good.  It's not going to change, until and unless you can convince the FCC (who clearly no longer give a horse's patoot about Amateur Radio & generally seem to consider us a pain in their posterior, us mere citizens who get in the way by expecting them to do their jobs) that there is not only a darned good reason to change it, but that it's cost effective for the FCC to spend the $$$ to do so, and will benefit them in the long run.

Sorry.

"Get Over It!"

Agreed. 

If people want to go back to a rule from over 40 years ago, let's bring back the 20 wpm code test.   Let's retest all of the Extra class licensees that got their Extra (and their 1x2, 2x1, W# or K# callsign) and see if they can "hack it" as an Extra.

If we do that, then I'm sure there will be plenty of 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns available.   

What say everyone?    I'll be the first to volunteer to take the 20 wpm code test.   Who will be next?

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »

The current Sequential Call Sign Assignment system that the FCC is using went into effect on 24 March 1978.

That's over 40 years ago, for those who are mathematically challenged.

For 40 years, the old requirement that you had to have a call to match the district in which you were living has not existed.

In the immortal words of The Eagles:  "Get Over It!"

Further, the current Vanity call sign system was authorized by Congress in 1993, the final rules put in place in December 1994, the fee schedule in June 1995, and the first Vanity call sign was issued on 31 May 1996.  That's over 22 years ago.  At that time, the FCC decided (whether wisely or not) not to limit Vanity requests for calls within the Continental US to the callsign district that they lived in.

It's done.  It's over.  It was a long fight to get the FCC off their inertia to finally implement what we have, and they are clearly not inclined to do much else.

Grousing about it does not good.  It's not going to change, until and unless you can convince the FCC (who clearly no longer give a horse's patoot about Amateur Radio & generally seem to consider us a pain in their posterior, us mere citizens who get in the way by expecting them to do their jobs) that there is not only a darned good reason to change it, but that it's cost effective for the FCC to spend the $$$ to do so, and will benefit them in the long run.

Sorry.

"Get Over It!"

Agreed. 

If people want to go back to a rule from over 40 years ago, let's bring back the 20 wpm code test.   Let's retest all of the Extra class licensees that got their Extra (and their 1x2, 2x1, W# or K# callsign) and see if they can "hack it" as an Extra.

If we do that, then I'm sure there will be plenty of 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns available.   

What say everyone?    I'll be the first to volunteer to take the 20 wpm code test.   Who will be next?

Sign me up. I'll even bring my J-37 straight key.

As long as we test ALL Extras, regardless of "vintage" or callsign.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: