The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is involved in "rebuilding" the PTO in Ten Tec radios  (Read 228 times)
W0XX

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:26 AM »

Not being familiar with TT radios, I hear about rebuilding the PTOs. What is actually involved?  Is it because the knob gets stiff or what is the actual issue?
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »

Hi,

Yes, the knob gets stiff, or even freezes in place.  This happens because the grease on the long internal brass drive screw hardens.  Then it can no longer easily turn the plastic piece that carries the ferrite rings that vary the inductance.

Rebuilding it, just requires one to remove the PTO unit, then disassemble/clean/regrease/assemble and install it back in place.  Takes about two hours.

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:47:57 AM »

As I recall, Ten Tec used to sell a rebuild kit that included a new brass drive screw to replace the old one.

Zak W1VT
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:20:43 AM »

Hi,

I bought a kit from them before, but I don't recall it including the brass screw.  Best I remember, the kit included a packet of grease, some springs and washers and a front bearing race.

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »

The instructions for servicing Ten Tec PTOs are available on line.  If you can't find them, ping me directly and I'll email you a PDF copy.  I've serviced literally dozens of TT PTOs.  I can *almost* do it without the instructions now, hi!  I don't think TT offers rebuild kits anymore.  In my experience, the only part that really ever *needed* to be replaced was the bearing race, and in most cases, the ones I was working with were not worn that badly.  

You'll see a lot of differing opinions on what type of lubricant to use.  TT supplied heavy, thick, green grease with their rebuild kits.  It literally came from a tractor supply company down the road from TT's former Sevierville plant!  A lot of folks use automotive axle grease.  Some use white lithium grease (which happens to be my preference).  

The secret to success is getting rid of every trace of the old, crusty grease from every part.  Once it's all squeaky-clean, you can lube it up, put it back together, and it will run quite nicely for many, many years to come.  

Now, replacing that @#$%&! dial bungee cord is another story. . .  
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »

Diesel fuel makes an excellent grease solvent. PB Blaster and Kroil work with many greases but not all.

Carl
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »

http://www.n5ese.com/c21_pto.htm
Here is a picture that shows the parts that were in the kit.  It was the tuning shaft and not the screw that was provided as a replacement.

Zak W1VT
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

Thanks Zak,

I only every bought one kit, because of the half a dozen or so rebuilds I did, none ever needed any of the parts.  The race and the shaft and all the other parts were always OK and just needed cleaning and re-greasing.

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
W5CYF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »

This may help, I made a YouTube video on rebuilding the Century 21 PTO.  You may get some ideas here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAShmGSmyI
It was time consuming but not too difficult.   

John
W5CYF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: