The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TT Omni V  (Read 624 times)
W0XX

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »

Anyone (other than the Eham Reviews) have an opinion on the Omni V?  Never had any radio like that.  Just curious how good it is, aside from being older TT gear now.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:38:44 AM »

The "reviews" are like 5-6 years old. So curious how many folks are still using them..
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:17:33 AM »

I have one.

In some ways it's a better rig than its successor, the Omni VI. Think of it as a cross between that rig and a Paragon/P-II in terms of feature set.

Particularly useful is the all-mode squelch.

I'd sell my Omni VI long before I would the V.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »

I like the look of the Omni V/VI, but I've never owned any. I would if the opportunity arose.

Look out, some anonymous poster will warn you not to buy used.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »

Like all TT rigs it will have very good QSK but spare parts could be a problem.

Peter DL8OV
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

True, the older ones like these use a lot of discrete componentry so should be okay for a while
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:20:04 AM »

If you remove the lithium battery to replace it, will it screw up the radio or do they retain the data (CPU, etc)>
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:58:37 AM »

Believe if memory is working in my head, you have to leave the radio on.  On this radio, you turn it on, always on 14000.0 on display which I believe is indicative of a lithium battery replacement being required...not that familiar any more with teh TTs
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »

I also own a Ten-Tec 562 Omni V, that I purchased new in 1990.  Other than replacing the clock battery (CR2032), I've had no other issues with this transceiver.  It's a great performer with an excellent receiver.

www.rigpix.com/tentec/omniv.htm
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:39 AM »

Hopefully, the write up won't be extensive, something simple
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:52 AM »

Ended up costing me close to $300 to go thru the radio, align it, power levels (output way off on some bands), board mounting hardware on the control board missing, dead battery, S-meter way off, garbled receive audio presumed to be just dirty connectors which required going thru the entire radio cleaning and reseating (did some but could not get to some and don't have the ability to disassemble the radio for that level - was dirty inside also).  Could go on, but bottom line, radio was NOT in excellent condition and did NOT have full output all bands (only mentioned checking 2 so unsure how one would come to that conclusion unless actually measuring output 160-10 meters).  So it is repaired and on its way back to me.  can't say I am liking this radio now after all this crap, but honestly can't recoop my loss either since I paid a bit more then I paid to repair it.  So all in all, not a very pleasant experience.  I requested some refund on the shipping and repair cost, will see what happens.  Likely no answer to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: