The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP6D - Ducie Island DXpedition  (Read 8602 times)
KM4SII

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »

Good Morning all,

Last night at 0300z the Braveheart set sail for Ducie Island from Mangareva. You can follow the ship's position here:  https://share.garmin.com/vp6d

I think most here are familiar with FT8 DXpedition mode, but be sure to read over the guidelines for working VP6D on FT8 here: https://www.vp6d.com/index.php/dxpedition/ft8-operating-guidelines

VP6D will utilize real-time logging. Your QSO should appear withing a few minutes of your QSO: http://www.dxa3.org/vp6d/

Be sure to follow VP6D on Twitter (https://twitter.com/VP6D_2018) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/VP6D-Ducie-2018-1470984209616170/) for updates.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for the team be sure to contact the DXpedition pilots (I am a pilot for NA). I will also be monitoring the forums here.

73 de KM4SII - Mason (VP6D NA pilot)

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »

Mason,

You will be busy! Tell your mom you are quitting school for the duration of the DXpedition.  Grin Grin Grin

I've observed something interesting. My logging software LOG4OM uses (optionally) the data from QRZ.com for knowing where to turn my antenna. When I enter the call sign VP6D into my logging software, it wants to turn my antenna 253 degrees (wrong!) and on the map it shows me the location of VP6D as being in Arizona. My guess is this could be corrected by them editing the "Detail" tab of their QRZ.com page where it currently reads "US State: Arizona". Otherwise some people may point their antenna the wrong way.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »

Is this an FT8 only DXpedition?

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »

No, VP6D will be working all modes, not just FT8. A list of planned frequencies for each mode that they will be using can be found here: https://vp6d.com/index.php/dxpedition/frequencies

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »

No, VP6D will be working all modes, not just FT8. A list of planned frequencies for each mode that they will be using can be found here: https://vp6d.com/index.php/dxpedition/frequencies

Thank you for the info.
Very happy to hear that. Grin

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »

VP6D with a very strong signal here in Florida tonight - operating as maritime mobile aboard the Braveheart.

. .

73, Randy / WB9LUR - http://www.CallingDX.com

. .
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »

Just saw a Facebook post (3 minutes ago) that they have arrived at Ducie!

Randy / WB9LUR

. .

73, Randy / WB9LUR - http://www.CallingDX.com

. .
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »

Thank you for the info.
Very happy to hear that. Grin

I'm glad you're happy, but why would you expect it to be otherwise?

They took donations and foundation money.

There will be precisely zero FT8 only (or, for that matter, CW only) DXpeditions operating out of a funding setup like that for the imaginable future.  You raise the kind of money this operation did and you can expect to be offering "all modes" and as many bands as your boat can carry.

In fact, the only situations I know of that are "FT8 only" are resident hams who, for a variety of reasons that make sense to them (including, in one case, an op with approval for QRP only) to stick to FT8.

Everything else and everybody else may run FT8, but not exclusively.

I expect to see FT8 in any future operation like Ducie (in part because you can get high rates with minimal DQRM as Baker proved), but I also expect to see plenty of "action" on more traditional modes.

No reason to expect anything else.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

It seems that on recent dxpeditions rtty has suffered as a result of FT8.  I have made a bunch of FT8 contacts but zero rtty qso's.  I would like to get at least one rtty qso with VP6D.

73 Mark N1UK
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »

Definitely could use some band fills with this one. I made one QSO with the last Ducie expedition. With the last one, I was living in an apartment and could not hear them at all on my attic antenna. Out of desperation I brought my K2 I had at the time and a dipole up to a school on the top of the hill and worked them easily on 20 or 30m (I'd have to look) with 5 watts. Hoping to add a bunch of bands, especially 80. Safe travels to the team & thanks for putting Ducie on the air.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:50 PM »

Out of desperation I brought my K2 I had at the time and a dipole up to a school on the top of the hill and worked them easily on 20 or 30m (I'd have to look) with 5 watts.

I like the story. What wouldn't one do for an ATNO, eh?  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »

Out of desperation I brought my K2 I had at the time and a dipole up to a school on the top of the hill and worked them easily on 20 or 30m (I'd have to look) with 5 watts.

I like the story. What wouldn't one do for an ATNO, eh?  Grin Grin Grin

Marvin VE3VEE

I was just getting back into DXing and there was quite a bit of enthusiasm from many folks to work this one. Many mornings, days and nights listening for them with my indoor attic loop proved futile. Towards the end I was going crazy.. I had to get them in the log. I called another friend up.. he had worked them on a few bands already.. he suggested we head up to the school (our club uses the location for a field day site) and throw my portable dipole up in the trees. With the K2 on the dashboard, paddles in my lap.. I hopped in the pileup. After a fairly short amount of time I was in the log.

I just looked at LoTW... it was two bands I worked them on.. 30 / 40. I remember now.. after I worked them on the 30m around 0400 we decided to see if we could hear them on the other band they were on. Sure enough, a half hour after the first QSO I made a second qso on 40. It was definitely near the end of the expedition. Fun times.. and I do all that I can to get in the log.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »

It seems that on recent dxpeditions rtty has suffered as a result of FT8.

I feel your pain.  But, I think we can expect this trend to continue.

If you make a god out of rate (and most DXpeds do, especially the Ducie type), it's already clear by simply browsing history on Clublog that only the most exceptional operations will be able to have a RTTY rate that exceeds their FT8 rate. 

Most RTTY had, in the pre-FT8 timeframe, been done later on the DXpedition and usually (for a variety of reasons, but clear in the numbers anyway) the rate has not been great, which helps explain, in turn, why even before FT8 that RTTY was always down the priority list. 

It appears to be a lot easier to get the FT8 rate well above RTTY rate.

Fortunately, they both count the same as far as one's score goes, so the issue is entirely one of the pleasure one gets out of a traditional RTTY QSO.

I would enjoy a traditional RTTY QSO on at least one band as well, but not if it costs me getting "digital" at all or foregoing a band. 

There are also going to be a lot of hams, particularly the newer DXers, who may find they only get their one and only Q on FT8.  That consideration will weigh heavily into the operating schedule.  I saw a chart from the Baker team showing that on their tougher paths, that's exactly what happened for a largish number of stations.

All that said, one does hope there is still time for the traditional RTTY at least once.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »

Having worked VP6DX on nearly every band in 2008, all I can use is a band fill on 10m. Maybe 60m, if they have permission.

Good luck to all in need.
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

They're on 40 now with a bone crushing signal.  Managed to slip in among the first 30 QSOs (first time ever), but there's a lot of DQRM now.  Have fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: