The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu BU-2 module with vehicle Bluetooth  (Read 198 times)
KM4RAF

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

I'm mounting my radio behind the backseat where the built in speaker will likely be inadequate.
Instead of using the audio-out plug and trying to patch it into my radio - I'd like to put a BU-2 Bluetooth module in my FTM-100 and used my vehicles audio system(Ford Sync 3) for sound.

I'm wondering if it will work..I'm not too concerned about being able to transmit using the handsfree function. I mostly listen and don't mind keying the mic when I want to transmit.
I mainly want to be able to hear the audio.
There isn't a lot of information about this specifically - lots about using it with various headsets but that isn't what I'm doing.

Does anyone have experience or insight about this config?
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

I don't have any experience with it so cannot be of much help here, but just a thought and/or word of caution would be with regard to even if you can pair it and make it connect, how that would actually work in practice and usability.

With my limited knowledge/experience, it seems that the Bluetooth interface on factory radios generally has 2 intended uses:
1. Stream audio from a phone/tablet device to be played through the vehicle speakers
2. Hands-free use of a phone and where the music is stopped and phone audio comes through the vehicle speakers

If you get it to pair like in my first use case, my thought is that you would cycle through the inputs on the car stereo (AM/FM/CD/Sirius/Bluetooth/Aux) and select the Bluetooth option to listen to the output from your FTM-100 through the vehicle audio speakers. As long as you can get them to pair properly and communicate, this would likely work quite well, especially when you are in QSO or listening to a net or such. However, the downside would be that when you are monitoring the FTM-100 you would not be able to listen to music or of you are listening to music on one of the other inputs, nothing that comes over the FTM-100 would be heard.

If you are able to get them communicating as in the second use case, that would probably be more along the desired operation and hopefully would work well for you. My caution and questions then would be with the delay time required to mute the music and have the audio from the FTM-100 start coming out of the speakers, how long after the squelch drops before the music starts playing again, and how irritating will it be to have the FM/CD/Sirius audio cutting in and out based on signals received by the FTM-100.

I do really like the idea of an integrated audio solution such as your idea, but personally would prefer an "audio mixer" solution vs an "audio switching" solution. In fact, I've been looking for a mixer type setup for a different situation.

My suggestion would be to use the audio out plug (or Bluetooth) to a separate speaker near the driver's seat. Doing that, your music (or the weather forecast your listening to on the local FM station) won't be completely blanked out by the repeater ID, you can turn the music off if you just want to listen to the local net, and it gives all around a bit more versatility in volume/priority adjustment. If there is a way to "mix the audio so that the music and ham audio would both come out of the vehicle speakers (reducing the volume of one, etc) that would be nice, but if the option is to have it automatically switch back and forth between them, I personally feel that could become irritating.
"
Maybe someone else with some actual experience will provide some insight, but hopefully this can at least provide some food for thought.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »

There are a couple of protocols which the BU-1 and BU-2 support. One is the communications (headset) protocol whereas one channel of received audio plus the mic signal will be transmitted across the dongle. The other is for stereo audio; no mic support is provided.

I have several FTM-10SRs installed on my street motorcycles and two are equipped with both BU models - this to facilitate the use of multiple J&M or other manufacturer's Bluetooth helmet headsets. Neither support dynamic protocol switching. That is, you're either listening in stereo or you're in communications audio mode. They won't re-negotiate based on the source audio.

Not sure how the Bluetooth interface in your vehicle will respond. If there's a method to force a hands-free connection I'd look into that.

Of course, you'll still need a method of PTT.

MARCO and ADVRider sites have lots of useful info about Bluetooth in a mobile amateur radio application. Might want to check them out.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »

John, what's MARCO?  I'm familiar with ADV.

Interesting information about the BUs; disappointing that they won't do what I expected on my FTM-10.

Am I reading correctly that you have both a BU-1 and BU-2 installed in ONE FTM-10??  I didn't know it could be done.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »

John, what's MARCO?  I'm familiar with ADV.

Interesting information about the BUs; disappointing that they won't do what I expected on my FTM-10.

Am I reading correctly that you have both a BU-1 and BU-2 installed in ONE FTM-10??  I didn't know it could be done.

MARC (I got the acronym wrong!) can be found here: https://marc-hq.org/

Yes, I have two in each. I put the BU-1 in the transceiver body and the BU-2 in the control head. Depending on which headset wants to play correctly (or not...) I can pair them with either the Front (head) or Rear (body) Bluetooth unit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: