The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Season's here!  (Read 465 times)
VA7ER

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

I'm an old ham who's returning to the hobby after too many years QRT.  Back in the olden days it used to be a tradition to save antenna work for some of the year's worst weather.  So with today's snow here in southern BC it stimulated me to get going.  I hung a good rope up about 35 ft in a big Douglas fir tree beside the shop, dug a hole and buried a grounding plate.  Man is the ground ever slippery with this wet snow - perfect!  If this weather holds I may get the dipole up tomorrow.  I just wanted to alert the younger generation of hams that antenna season has finally arrived! 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:56:45 AM »

For an antenna to work, it has to be installed in failing light, high wind, temperature at just below freezing and in rain that turns to ice when it lands on anything....
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »

Also, try to do some work near electric distribution lines.  Preferably 17KV or higher.
Art
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »

For an antenna to work, it has to be installed in failing light, high wind, temperature at just below freezing and in rain that turns to ice when it lands on anything....

... and with a hangover
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »

Right now in EN94: ~0°C, high wind, blowing snow - & my 32' wood mast needs to be tilted down to install a 2m GP.  Of course I waited for the start of antenna season :-) 

WX is not quite bad enough yet to consider putting up Christmas lights though.

Dave, VE3WI
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »

I'm just south of VE7 land, can see it from here. XYL had me busy all day yesterday with "honey do" list. Think I missed first day of antenna work availability.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »

Also don't forget that it's much better to do antenna work during pouring down rain with lightning storms, maybe even during a hurricane or tornado.

Don't forget the need when installing verticals during the laying out of the ground radialls to have a yard filled with Dog Poo.

When hanging any type of wire antenna to have hundreds of tree branches grabbing the wires.

When hanging off the side of a tower installing a yagi or a quad with the antenna elements hanging up on guy wires, all the time with your neighbors watching  this fiasco and yelling for you to jump, jump.

When laying out beverages have a yard full of dogs or children running around, maybe even a youth soccer game being played.

All of the above experience weeds out the men from the kids and if the antenna still works when the sun comes out then you can be assured that you did a good job.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:54:38 AM by WB8VLC » Logged
KA5GEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »

I've had all summer to build and erect my 160m inv. L.  I have waited until antenna season and very slowly getting it done.  Still not up yet Sad   It's in the 40's and 50's here in central Louisiana... way below 70 = cold!  Good luck to all during antenna season!
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »

Last year I put out 5 BOGs while in the eye of a tropical depression.  They worked well.  I haven't put them out yet this year.  Weather has been too nice so far.

Jerry, K4SAV
W1TRY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »

The leaves are finally down, it was snowing this morning during the walk with my XYL (she made me skip the gym) and I have all the materials gathered to get up something on 160 meters, perfect antenna weather!  Grin The only problem is my 3rd back surgery in 3 years (yes, an annual event now) just got moved up to Wednesday November 14th.  Shocked  The pain has made it slow going but being post op puts a stop to any and all activity until I get the all clear.  Looks like I'll be putting up the Christmas lights and a 540 loop with an extension ladder in the snow, ho, ho, ho.  Roll Eyes
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 03:05:01 AM »

This thread made me chuckle, it’s typical, the antenna works perfectly all summer till the first sou’westerly gale and it starts finding faults on the antenna that must be fixed.

By the way, I love your callsign W1TRY, very seasonal (Wintery)  Wink

N1KWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »

Someday an approx. 100 foot pine is coming down and they will wonder what the sinkers and other assorted nuts, bolts are doing at the top. N1KWW
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

In the past month:  K2AV FCP for 160/80 meters.  K9AY loop system installed...new six-band JK beam on tower to replace an ailing HF log periodic. This  morning added a few more radials and additional ground rods for the K9AY loop to improve the nulls despite the winds and bitter cold.  30/40 dual band dipole designed by Cecil, W5DXP up, tuned and working at 65'. Got the fixed GPS antenna mounted on the shed along with a new scanner antenna.   Beat the snow. Next year I'll start in the spring if anything needs to be done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: