The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compression sleeve, crimper, wire antennas  (Read 254 times)
N9DTT

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »

I experiment a great deal with wire antennas for home and portable use.  I've purchased a few commercial antennas that connect to the  insulators with a loop of wire through the insulator and crimped back on itself with a compression sleeve.  These certainly look better and and likely are more durable than my wrap/solder method.

Is anyone aware of a specific vendor supplying the crimper, die and sleeves that are matched for the purpose?  I'm finding bits and pieces, but would like to buy a system where all the components match.  I'm not seeing any crimp dies that appear to match the sleeves.  I already have the systems for APP and common coax connectors and would like to round out the toolbox.

Thx

N9DTT
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »

Check a farm/ranch supply store. They sell the crimper and sleeves for various gauges of wire - single hole and binocular styles are readily available. They are normally used for making wire gates and splicing/terminating electric and barbed wire fences.

I go through them by the hundreds on the ranch and have never had one fail - even with deer running full tilt into the fence and wire gates.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
N9DTT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »

Glen,

Thanks, I figured there must be a common source, just didn't find it in the normal ham radio circle of vendors.

I'm on to more magical antenna designs, with an elegant touch...

Take care.

--
Rob
N9DTT
KK4FGF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »

So far I have really liked the DX Engineering Wire Antenna End Insulators DXE-UWA-END-KIT (https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-uwa-end-kit). They are light weight and make tuning the antenna a snap because no soldering or crimping is required. Because of how light they are they work well with my fiberglass poles I am using for my antenna masts. The wire is held very securely but it is easy to unhook and reattach.

JoAnn Peeler
KK4FGF
AC2KV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »

Home Depot. You want a swaging tool and ferules. They come in various sizes.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »

I use split bolts (aka Kearney™ connectors). No special tools are required, and they can be reused...

Sometimes, they have serrations that tend to bite thru fine wire strands. A small round file fixes that:

Antiseize compound on the threads is a good idea. They come in various sizes and can be found at the local box store or any electrical supply seller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: