The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Analog radio into dmr repeater question  (Read 355 times)
W4JPP

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »

I have found lots of info stating that yes, you will be able to use your dmr radio into an analog repeater. So my dual band portable dmr capable radio will be able to access repeaters I have historically used

My question is two part

A) can I use my analog portable on a dmr repeater? I ask as it seems some repeaters also have dmr capabilities so I’m assuming it’s some sort of mixed mode capability??

B) if I can “hit” a dmr capable repeater what happens to my analog portable transmitted signal when it hits the repeater? Meaning if a dmr capable repeater is linked to many other repeaters via a talkgroup, does only a dmr portable come thru all these other repeaters or will my analog signal also come thru like it would on for example an allstar group of linked repeaters. Or, would that repeater just act like a stand-alone repeater when itvreceives an analog signal? Thx.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:40:42 AM »

Speaking of the MMDVM system that I'm involved with, first the controller must be set up to accept an analog input to bypass the DMR modem and switch to FM.  Usually this is from the PL decoder in the repeater itself. From that point, it behaves exactly as an FM repeater.  All "digital" stuff is suspended while the analog signal is present.  So folks monitoring with DMR never hear anything and there's no IP traffic out of the modem.  An FM transmit PL is employed so that FM units will stay muted when there is DMR activity.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W4JPP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »

Thank you for that explanation. I understand now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: