The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you had QSO with a famous person on ham radio?  (Read 565 times)
AK0B

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2019, 12:00:40 AM »

You might be surprised.  Art Bell was on 75 meters almost every night.

We also had a Senator Barry Goldwater and Chet Atkins.

We had a king, JY1 Hussain of Jordon.  A cowboy movie star Andy  Devine. Also Marlon Brando and Donnie Osmond  Arthur Godfrey who I even got to see land an old DC-3 on a very short dirt runway in my home town.

I was lucky enough to have worked the only ham in Tibet, a Priest at the time.

Ham radio is a great hobby.  Everyone is equal on the airwaves.  Most might have a better CW fist or signal but we are all equal.  Never heard one of them use their star status to make a QSO. 

When the Voyager made a trip around the world it had a low power ham radio.  Even today we still have hams circling the earth in the Space Station

I suspect when we get to Mars there will be a least one ham in the group.

de Stab AK0B

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »

This was a while ago but I was demonstrating my home station to a friend and heard a CQ so I answered it, and it was Roy Neal K6DUE.  Couldn't mistake his voice from hearing him on the evening news.  Impressed the hell out of my visitor.  I've heard Art Bell numerous times on 75M but it seemed like more of a good ol' boy net that wasn't open to anyone not part of that clique.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »

Goldwater, Hussain and Wayne Green
Art
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »

King Hussain, and Roy Neal. 
KE8FWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »

JY1 from Katzrin, The Golan Heights a long long long time ago.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »

Worked JY1, Art Bell and Walter Cronkite. Really cool to be able to converse with famous people as a reminder their just like one of us still.

Commenting on previous poster about at least one person being ham making it to Mars. Could you imagine the arrays to be put up just to get a QSL card from them? That'll be one of the most famous hams of all. LOL.

N2RRA
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 07:04:55 AM »

Oh, more like "infamous" instead of famous, but I worked the station at Jonestown a couple of times before they all drank the purple juice. They solicited me for money.  I remember feeling a little "wierded out" by that.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »

I guess for me, King Hussain would be the most famous.
But when it comes to ham radio, I view Bill Orr and John, ON4UN really famous for me. I met Jerry Sevick, W2FMI. All of these guys
are famous for me.

Barry, KU3X
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 08:58:20 AM »

I guess for me, King Hussain would be the most famous.
But when it comes to ham radio, I view Bill Orr and John, ON4UN really famous for me. I met Jerry Sevick, W2FMI. All of these guys
are famous for me.

Barry, KU3X

Jerry Sevick W2FMI was an active member of our radio club here in NJ. We brought him out to Dayton a number of years ago as he was going to speak about a book he had recently published, that was a fun trip! He would always check into our weekly net. Our club obtained his call after he became a SK and it's used during special events / field day.

Other than Jerry, the only other person notable I have worked was Bob Heil, K9EID.
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »

Hey..I am getting famous.

I posted something under CLUBS it seems like months ago and the thread is still going. Presumed all mad at me. (who wants to read them ?)

Just frustration with the NEW TECH and CLUBS and where is everything going ??

Maybe in a few months I will get an EHAM award.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »

now that you mention it, ON4UN and K9EID are both in my log.  I just checked LOTW.
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »

I worked JY1 in the late 1970’s on 20 meter USB when I was a General class.

Bob

note: I think that this topic should be moved to “Misc” category
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »

Back in the 70's the sponsor of our university ARC told me a story. He was in the shack with a couple of members and they were listening to an aeronautical mobile working another ham who seemed to know each other. As he sat there he realized that the ham in the A/M was "Curt" (as in LeMay) and ground based ham was "Art" (as in Godfrey).
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:07:04 PM »

I had a QSO with a guy that was on the Apollo engineering team.  I just can't remember his name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: