The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF Amp... Palstar LA-1K va ACOM 1200S  (Read 1329 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »

I've been looking at this.

http://www.linamp.co.uk/gemini_HF.html

Wow!! I like it!! Thanks for sharing. Do we need to wait for FCC approval?

I sent an E-Mail off to the manafacture and got a reply just a little bit ago:

Hello Mike

The unit is in production with about a 6 week lead time currently.
We do not intend to FCC certify this amplifier currently.
Harmonic suppression is >60dBc on all bands.
Weight 19Kg
We ship and service units worldwide from here. We do not use local distributors as this keeps our retail prices competitive.
Shipping cost to US CONUS is typically circa £150 and is calculated for your Zip at checkout.
We transact in £ only - the $ conversion rate will depend on the processing companies exchange rate at the time of transaction.
--
Regards es 73

Roger Banks - GW4WND
Director

The DX Shop Limited

+44(0)1588 620126

Of course you could just buy the unit and certify its FCC complance. You would need a quiet antenna range and a good spectrum analyzer plus about $8000-$12000 for the aproval process.

It appears they have no presence in the US.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »

Of course you could just buy the unit and certify its FCC complance. You would need a quiet antenna range and a good spectrum analyzer plus about $8000-$12000 for the aproval process.

You do not certify a product as the buyer/operator. You only need to ensure that it meets the Part 97 requirements when you put it on the air.

BTW - certification has nothing to do with an antenna range. All testing is done into a dummy load. And for certification, this is only done by the manufacturer or importer.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
NY4Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »

And here's another one that a couple of fellows I know have and they are fantastic amps.

https://rf-kit.de/
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »

You do not certify a product as the buyer/operator. You only need to ensure that it meets the Part 97 requirements when you put it on the air.

BTW - certification has nothing to do with an antenna range. All testing is done into a dummy load. And for certification, this is only done by the manufacturer or importer.

- Glenn W9IQ

Glen,

You do need an antenna range for certification. I did the certification for the Alpha 8410, 8406 and the 9500. The FCC not only wants the harmonics to be down to a certin level via the coax connector but the case cannot radiate harmonocs at the same levels. Then you have to run the part 15 tests out to 1 GHz. The includes the power cord port and the key line port.

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »

Not an antenna range. Just an anechoic chamber.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »

Not an antenna range. Just an anechoic chamber.

- Glenn W9IQ

I guess if you could find one large enough. The FCC wants the antenna 100 ft. away from the test amplifier with readings taken at zero, ten, twenty and thirty degree elevation heights at rated output every five degrees for the full 360 degree rotation. The FCC is also worried about case radiation. Typical test took 35-40 minuets.

One of the largest problems was finding a dummy load and cabeling that had 60 dB of outside isolation and could handle 1500 watts for 35 minuets. The exciter was underground in another shielded room. Colorado altatude ment the cooling on the amplifier had to be inhanced.

Also most transciver exciters will not put out 50 watts CW for 35 minuets. They also had to have inhanced cooling. Additional band pass filters had to be placed after the exciter to make sure only the primary signal was being presented to the amplifier. These test was done on every band.

The Part 15 test was the easiest. Certification testing took about a week per amplifier.

One last note; the 6 meter amplifier had to have level readings out to the tenth harmonic. More screws had to be added to the cabnet cover.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:38:28 PM by K6AER » Logged
NY4Q

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »

Wow!! I like it!! Thanks for sharing. Do we need to wait for FCC approval?

I went ahead and pulled the ripcord yesterday. I should receive it sometime in July.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »

Being it is a commerically built amplifier how are they going to get arround the FCC certification before importing is allowed? They mentioned that they had no interest inporting into the US market.

"We do not intend to FCC certify this amplifier currently."
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »

DX Engineering will be selling the German LDMOS amp as a kit.  They are taking deposits, though the price will be about $1.5K higher.

https://rf-kit.de/
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »

Now why would someone give DX engineering an extra $1500 just to have them handle the box? I guarantee if there is a problem, they will tell you to contact the manufacture. I went through this drama when I had a defective AT2KD.

Reinhard make a very nice kit and the engineering is impeccable. Adding $1500 to the kit price of $2800 makes the amplifier cost as much as a manufactured unit from Elecraft. 48 percent is a lot of overhead.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 07:22:04 AM »

Looking for an amp for my Radios and am interested in an Amp that can be combined with RF sensing to support remote operations. Any throughts on the better Amp or another Linear Amp you want to recommend?

Thanks!

Getting back to the question on hand ...

I have an ACOM1200S ... one of the first delivered in the US.  It is closing in one 365 working days (yes, some idle, but turned off for periods when I'm away for a day or more).  Since ACOM provided the its current firmware update, it has performed flawlessly.  It may not have 'autosense' in the truest sense (pun intended), but it will switch bands after giving two beeps telling you on that you were on the wrong freq for the antenna selected.  I've done this perhaps a dozen or more times with no problems.  I use this amp in tandem with the ACOM 4AT external tuner which is an absolute dream for matching near-resonant antennas and providing several important feedpoint characteristics to show you what is happening at the feedpoint.  I use the 4AT with a loaded 80M vertical, a trap 20M/40M dipole, a 30M vertical and a 6M dipole (all hidden in the woods behind my HOA lot).  Power out on CW and SSB is 1KW and on digital (FT8) I can go as high as 900w.  Amp runs very cool when using several hundred watts on FT8.  ACOM1200S is connected for CAT operation to Win4K3Suite (great software) and M0YOM monitoring software (also great and free).  All and all the ACOM is a great product.  Purchased through DXEng (support was a bit difficult at times) and have used Val at ACOM for support via email.  73, Rich, K3VAT  (see my QRZ.COM page).
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »

Thanks all! A new amp in the garage pending installation Wink I went with the Gemini.
NY4Q

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:18 AM »

My Gemini will be delivered on Monday per DHL.
NA6US

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »

My Gemini will be delivered on Monday per DHL.

You will be very happy...

1. If you have not already done so, need to purchase a plug for the power cable, or a new cable... I only have a 110V 15A...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012EK2RE
2. 20A fuse supplied and required for 110V.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: