The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7300 / 7610 Display problems?  (Read 1074 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:18 PM »

I have been following the display issues on the IC-7610 as I want to purchase one but I'm waiting for the issues resolution. I was looking at my IC7300 and remembered my brightness is only at 45% and it's almost blinding to me. I wonder if the Icom display issue would be helped if people turned down their display brightness to where it's just enough to be useful /comfortable and not keeping it at 100% brightness all the time. Just a thought.

73. Todd - KT0DD
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »

I have been following the display issues on the IC-7610 as I want to purchase one but I'm waiting for the issues resolution.

I am doing the same thing. I am in the market for a new radio, the TS-890s, FTDX-101D and the Icom 7610 are on my list. IF I knew for SURE that the 7610 had the display issues corrected I would probably buy one tomorrow. This issue has gone on for far too long and has cost Icom sales.

I may buy the Kenwood instead, the Yaesu has too many first adopter issues to consider right now, plus it is hardly a good value compared to the Icom or Kenwood.

Stan K9IUQ
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »

Hi Stan. Icom has been VERY tight lipped on the 7610 display issue. Icom HAS stated they will 'make it right' for any 7610 display that fails out of warranty.
I have a VERY early one and have had ZERO issues with either the display or the heatsink.
The original supplier of the 7610 displays has gone out of business. One issue that remains, is long term testing of the new displays. Since this is a 'time related issue', not much you can do to speed that up.....
Leave the radio on 24/7, at full brightness?

I had 'suggested' that the new displays have a different Part Number, but that was shot down. Why?

Lastly, I also have a new TS-890 and it's just awesome. Makes the 7610 feel like a toy, and I am a TRUE Icom 'fanboy'. First new radio I can remember here on eHam Reviews with a perfect 5 score, so far.
But, like the poor Icom 9700, there will be jerks that don't own one, or have never even seen one that will give it a "0". One non-owner has given it TWO "0"s. WTF?

BTW, with an inexpensive OCXO or GPSDO and the latest Icom firmware, EME or FT8 on 12

The new (first ones sold) Yaesus have to go back to the factory for a fix for the overshoot issue. I'm sure the ones being sold now are fine.

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »

The Yaesu FTDX101 has the best receiver but it has a serious ALC overshoot issue which Yaesu says they are working on. Not good for those of us who run amplifiers. The Kenwood bandscope looks "clunky" to me like my old Ten Tec Orion II, not like Icom's true real time bandscope. I like the adjustability of the 7610, like my 7300, you can change colors of the bandscope line for easier viewing. I have my 7300 set on a bright yellow single line with no fill and I absolutely love it. I even looked at the Flex 6400M with the screen, but even the Flex won't let you change the bandscope line color. You can get rid of the "fill" shadow or change it's color but not the line itself.

I'm going with the 7610 hopefully by black Friday.

73. Todd - KT0DD
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »

Hi Stan. Icom has been VERY tight lipped on the 7610 display issue. Icom HAS stated they will 'make it right' for any 7610 display that fails out of warranty.

Lastly, I also have a new TS-890 and it's just awesome. Makes the 7610 feel like a toy, and I am a TRUE Icom 'fanboy'. The new (first ones sold) Ya

ron
N4UE

Icom making it right is not enough for me. Making it right really means "if it fails, send it back and we will fix it". I am not knowingly going to buy a radio that needs to be sent back for repairs after spending lots of $$$$$.

Same with the FTDX-101D. There are too many if's with this radio at this time and it is priced at top dollar because it is newer than the 7610 or 890s.

I do not consider myself a Icom fanboy, however I have owned many HF Icoms starting with the 751A. I presently own a 7600 and had a TS-590s for about 5 years after my Flexradio Debacle.  I really liked the 590s, it was a very competent radio.

Right now I am on the fence pondering, I would get a 890S tomorrow if i could convince myself I don't need a second rx in my next radio.  Heck with HF propagation being what it is these days buying any new radio today seems silly.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »

Stan:
My suggestion...sell the 7600 (the 7300 is a better radio, I've had them both and compared) for $1,300, and spend $1,000 for a 7300. That'll satisfy your immediate desire for something new. I don't know your operating preferences, but that'll give you time to ponder the need for a second receiver (IMO, mostly good for contesting...SO2V). If you want to go that route, you can use the 7300 to experience "most" of the performance of the 7610 without the bells and whistles. Then if the 7610 display issue, or the beta testing of the FT-101D, is resolved and all is well, sell the 7300 for $850, and buy your new two-receiver toy. Just my two-cents.

73,  Bob K7JQ
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »

FTDX-101D uses display from the same vendor. Just wait for wear.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »

Hmm....how can it be the same vendor? It has been reported that Icom has a new vendor and the old one went out of business.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 04:01:26 PM »

Hmm....how can it be the same vendor? It has been reported that Icom has a new vendor and the old one went out of business.

We are in a new ERA where anyone can say anything and many uniformed (clueless) people "will believe". There is little consequences for lying in our present world.

Personally I NEVER post anything I can not prove. Many here on Eham may disagree with my Opinions but I can always back up my facts as I always tell the truth.

I am calling out SP5QIP.  Prove your assertion with FACTS that Yaesu is using the same vendor as Icom for their Screens. Links please. Facts only please, otherwise take your posts elsewhere....

Also, "hearing it on the air" is NOT a fact.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:09:44 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »

"It has been reported" sounds like a Quote from Mr Trump.....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Please tell me where it has been reported, with links for the facts please.

We are in a new ERA where anyone can say anything and many uniformed (clueless) people "will believe". There is little consequences for lying in our present world.

Since I called out SP5QIP, I will also call out KT0DD. Please prove your assertion with FACTS that Icom has a new vendor and the old one went out of business.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:21:26 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »

First off I have owned a 7610 for about a year an a half, I had started to see the display issue crop up just before the warranty was up so I sent it out to one of there repair centers and got it back in two weeks, the only thing I might wanna grip about is the $100 to ship it out but if you wanna play you gotta pay. Clearly the 7610 has out sold any of the higher priced radio's in the marketplace, first off they were the first SDR two RX radio to ship, before the Flex, before the 890S and way before the FTDX101's were even born, there shear amount of radio's sold against these other rigs is over 15 to 1 so when you have out several thousand 7610 radio's there will be more issues then when there maybe 150 890S or 50 FTDX101's out in the wild so pure economics and the ability of just the number of reviews on E ham alone give some idea how well Icom has done. They have not backed down when and if the radio you buy has a display issue and that goes even after the standard warranty.
Clearly the 890S and the FTDX101 are slightly better in a lab test environment but clearly there will very very few differences between that and the 7610 and to even think the 7300 is in the same class sorry I owned one before I bought the 7610 and there are many differences that I have heard and seen with side by side comparisons when digging out rare DX or even operating the low bands with lost of noise conditions, the 7300 is great bang for the buck but the 7610 does more. It really boils down to what you want to look at in a radio cause at the end of the day they are all good.
As far as the vendor of the display goes the stock display that my radio came with was  always a little faded compared to the 7300 display, even before the issue cropped up, the replacement has that deep black dynamic contrast just like the 7300 had so my guess is they may have went to a different company on the replacements and possibly the newer production 7610's but the fact that hams are still buying the Icom's in today's market tells me it the $3K price point in which drives them and not everyone want's to dish out another kilobuck for a slightly tad better RX. BUT some on these and other forums just like beating a dead horse to death.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 04:53:00 AM »

I might wanna grip about is the $100 to ship it out but if you wanna play you gotta pay.

the fact that hams are still buying the Icom's in today's market tells me it the $3K price point in which drives them and not everyone want's to dish out another kilobuck for a slightly tad better RX. BUT some on these and other forums just like beating a dead horse to death.

That horse ain't dead unless Icom says publicly that they are using a new type display in radios present at all dealers. Grip(e) about $100 shipping is not something all hams want to do. I do want to "play" but I can play with a different brand of radio that does not have a $100 shipping likelihood. Make NO MISTAKE,the display issue has/is costing Icom many 7610 sales. Also it surely is not helping the used prices of 7610's.

Icom has a slight price advantage right now BECAUSE they are an older radio vs the newer TS-890S and the FTDX-101D.  That advantage is getting slimmer with the TS-890s price around $3.4K and the FTDX-101D price at $3.9K. The $3-4K range of radios is very competitive and one can expect prices to shrink this year.

You paint a very defensive picture of your 7610, however the other 2 radios have many interesting features also and have features the 7610 lacks.

I just got finished reading the TS-890S manuals, the basic manual and the VERY interesting In Depth Manual. The TS-890s has many features that the 7610 lacks. Yes the Kenwood lacks a second Rx which the 7610 has.

I have seen quite a few posts/reviews from hams that own or have used both the 7610 and TS-890s. They say the Icom seems like a toy compared to the Kenwood. Since I have not seen either radio in person I can not make a personal judgement.

One thing I do not agree with is that somehow two 7300s equal a 7610. This sounds like spin from cheap hams who do not want to spend the extra $$ for a 7610.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:00:37 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »

Opinions are like..... and everyone has one. Here is mine. Yes I agree having two 7300's is not like having a 7610.  I have two 7300's and use them concurrently daily. I also have a 7610 now on extended loan from a friend, and without a doubt having a 7610 is better. Especially for CW. Just working FT8 with it will not show much if any difference other than the transmit/receive switching is quiet, but on CW the 7610 really shines with its TWO receivers so you can listen to the DX and the pileup at the same time.  Never loosing sync with the DX station by trying to rapidly switch back and forth between VFO's.  Also the APF (Audio Peaking Filter) is worth having too. The 7610 is slightly quieter.  So yes a 7610 is superior to a 7300.  Darn better well be for all the extra money. The 7300 is still the price/value leader in my mind. While this is an older unit, the display issue has not cropped up on this 7610. As for the Kenwood, I don't have a clue why this radio even exists. For nearly 4K you can bet your money that any radio I would consider in this class will have dual receiver.  I would not EVEN consider the Kenwood for anything. The Yaesu is a different matter.  It is new and time will tell how it stacks up, initial reports are pretty good. I still say if you have $4000 to spend, buy a 7300 and put $3000 into your antenna system not a higher priced radio.  You will do a lot better with a better antenna system.  BUT if you have the bucks to spend on a better rig, you won't go wrong with adding in the 7610, and probably the FT010D, we shall see. But like I said about opinions....Smiley
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 08:06:11 AM »

Just a thought...
Unless you're a dedicated contester with an advanced antenna farm, wanting to run SO2V or needing to consistently monitor activity on another band for additional multipliers, why do you REALLY need two receivers in one radio? And SO2R is more flexible. Plenty of DXCC Honor Rollers did it with one receiver and split capabilities. If you're an everyday rag chewer, why two receivers?

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, but I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the majority of hams with advanced radios, they don't take advantage of most of their radio's features. Just sitting on 75M SSB talking to their buddies, and nets. Or nowadays just using FT8 Wink. Well, I guess this will just start another controversy Roll Eyes.

73, Bob K7JQ
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »

Bob,

Since you took a swipe at FT-8, keep in mind that with that mode, you effectively get 20 or so simultaneous receivers with just an average radio. So the FT-8 crowd is far beyond your supposition.

Then switch to fox mode and you effectively have multiple simultaneous transmitters.

There is no radio in the amateur market that can beat that combination of features.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: