The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M or Yaesu FTDX101d  (Read 568 times)
VK5DO

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »

Hi Guys,

I’n tossing up between buying a Flex 6400M or Yaesu FTDX101d. I’ve done a fair bit of research on both and I’m pretty much aware of the features and differences but I’d appreciate other people’s opinions on which they’d get and why.  

I’ve had Flex and Anan SDR’s in the past (currently still using the Anan 100d) and I do like a good bandscope. On the other hand - I had an IC7300 for a few months and got rid of it. Poor bandscope and screen compared to the other SDR’s mentioned and no capability to feed video to an external monitor. I know the FRDX101d addresses this issue.

Cheers
Dene
VK5DO
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:51:29 PM by VK5DO » Logged
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:19:36 PM »

Do you have any desire to operate remotely?

The FTDX101 requires an extra cost LAN interface and use of PC only Yaesu software. (Are they available now?)

The Flex can be remotely operated via an iPad!

Jim K6JH
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »

I think Flex leads the market in bandscope technology.  My 6600M is very nice.  Not to mention remote connectivity via iPhone, iPad, laptops, PC's, Mac, Maestro etc. with no additional hardware and minimal if no cost.  Also DAX audio and CAT control over Ethernet which eliminates much of the conventional cabling and configuration required by other manufactures.  Third party applications are plentiful and extend the functionality of the Flex platform.  How about multi-function control surfaces using Stream Deck ! 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KQ4KK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »

I have had Flex 3000, 6500, a Maestro and a current 6600. I just setup a 101 for a friend and operated it for a couple of hours.
Nice radio, 3D waterfall is interesting. Has great receive spec's from Sherwood. But, only a couple of numbers above a FLEX.
If you cannot handle setting up a PC, Mac to run a FLEX, then get the 101.
The display on any of the 6xxx Flex's is better and more flexible than any other knob radio. The current trend is make a knob radio that has a display/waterfall like a FLEX level SDR. They all fall short.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »

The current trend is make a knob radio that has a display/waterfall like a FLEX level SDR. They all fall short.

You got it backwards. The current trend is to make Flexradios have knobs. They fail miserably.

Consider the Icom 7300 which Flexradio had great fun ridiculing at Hamvention a few years ago. They took a brand new 7300 and it put it against a Flexradio. The rest is history. Icom has sold more 7300's than Flexradio has sold radios in their entire existence. The mass of Hams has spoken with their wallets. They want knobbed radios. And the silly Paste a Maestro on a Flex Box just does not make the grade.

FWIW it is easy to put a waterfall display on a huge monitor with any radio and a $150 SDR.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »

I think Flex leads the market in bandscope technology. 

Flexradio also leads the market in Frustration. Just read their support forums for a week.

Stan K9IUQ
VK5DO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »

To reply to my own question.....

I had the chance to play with a friends FTDX101d for few hours the other day.  That panadapter, whether it’s on 3d mode or 2D mode is far, far from impressive when you’re used to a proper panadapter/panafall like a Flex or Anan.

It’s a lovely hi-tech radio with lots of other good features and specs but a good panadapter is an important part of my radio usage so I’ll be giving this radio a miss.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 06:39:47 AM »

I think comparing the 7300 you owned to a radio that has a far higher cost of investment was way off base, the 7300 hold excellent value but when compared to radio's in the $3K range plus there will be differences or at least I hope soo. If the Pan display is important to you the Flex is probably one of the best plus the adaptability for seamless remote operation which seems very easy to do is excellent but were Flex has its main issues from even the die hard Flex users is noise mitigation, there noise blanker is constantly complained about as being sub par compared to Icom and it seems that Anan has the best so the third runner up would be the new Yaesu with Flex coming in a far fourth maybe. Noise reduction circuits seem to be the best on the IC7610, Icom has nailed this for many years now even with there superhet designs there DSP developers have been hard at work in this area to produce an NR that doesn't sound like its under water.
As far as the RX numbers go almost all the current radio's today have excellent numbers, phase noise is a thing of the past, RMD numbers just keep on pushing the limits in the lab but mostly in real life these difference will not be seen and the blocking numbers of SDR are at the 125db mark with the superhet and superhet/DSR combo's breaking the 150db mark. This is all very good but with the SDR rigs there is a difference that you will not get with the superhet and combo rigs and that is the total amount of internal generated noise within the receiver plus anyone who has owned an true sdr (Flex,Anan,Icom) that has done the RTFM will tell you that the RF gain control or as Flex calls it the RFAGCT control, these controls just barley adjusted will solve any overload issue but even if you look back 50 years ago we used that trusty RF gain controls in all the superhets we used back then, again some hams RTFM and some don't.
I can tell you when I have been at stations that have the Flex the display on an external monitor is fantastic, a second place would go to Anan with Icom in third but with the 7601 Icom got smart and threw an IO output and HDSDR program on your stations computer that display will almost be Flex like, I don't know if Yaesu has done that on there 101D but I think your looking for how the internal display looks.
Good luck!
OZ2IRO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:45:06 AM »

Slightly OT maybe, but here's a possibile solution for IC-7300 owners who want that missing feature...

https://www.wimo.com/ptrx-7300_panadapter_spectrum_e.html

" [...] With the built-in PTRX-7300 pan adapter, any SDR receiver can now be connected to the new IF output, for example the DXpatrol, Airspy, Airspy HF+ or a Colibri SDR or others. The control software of the SDR is used on a computer, for example HDSDR, SDR-Radio, SDR# or SDR-Uno. Another program - OmniRig - links the SDR software to the CAT control of the IC-7300. This makes it possible for the transceiver to be controlled by the waterfall of the SDR program and always display the correct frequency. All this while the Icom transceiver with all its functions remains the same as before. So you have the best of both worlds - the traditional control via the VFO button on the radio as well as the comfortable operation via the computer."

73 from Denmark  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: