The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Class Ticket  (Read 8474 times)
KC0WEO

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »

Does anyone produce a good Learning DVD for General Upgrade?
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:23:55 AM »

The ARRL book covering the General license and discussion of the questions and technical information is pretty good.  I think it is all anyone needs to learn and then pass the test.  To go deeper, there are a whole slew of different resources.
KG6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »

ham university does.  Go to

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=*+Licensing+and+Upgrading%21+Manuals%2C+software+and+more...&words=

73 de KG6R,

Jim
W8DPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:55:52 AM »

Since you're asking about DVDs and not books or software:

No.  The ARRL DID have a Tech course on DVD, but they stopped selling it because it was outdated, and they haven't put a revised version out yet.  As far as I know, they never did do a DVD for General or Extra.  The VHS tapes they used to sell aren't available anymore, either.

So again, no, a DVD course for General is not being made by anybody that I know of.
N1EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »

I recommend HamtestOnline.Com.

I am not impressed with the ARRL books.  They seem to encourage memorization.  The HamTestOnline.Com makes people learn the topics by presenting information regarding concepts and applications.  The ARRL books are little more than a presentation of the question and answer.  

With HamtestOnline.Com you can focus on your weak areas as the software will also adapt to you.

I have been recommending it to anyone that asks me at a VE session about study materials.

best wishes
N1EY
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »

<quote>
I am not impressed with the ARRL books. They seem to encourage memorization. The HamTestOnline.Com makes people learn the topics by presenting information regarding concepts and applications. The ARRL books are little more than a presentation of the question and answer.
</quote>

Without sounding as if I believe that the ARRL books are the best thing on the planet, I would like to counter the above criticism.  The ARRL license manual books I have seen have two major sections.  The first section is all theory on all of the subject areas covered by the test.  In this section there are no questions and no hint of answers.  The second section is where the test pool questions and answers are found.  Sure, if you studied only this part you might say the book encouraged memorization.  But, that is not the point.

Also, given the size of the book and its purpose, it certainly does not go into depth or cover the subject with wide breadth.  However, there are many other good references to use besides the obvious of the ARRL Handbook.  Indeed, a mere google of the subject would bring up lots of good hits on the Internet (usually).

With regard to ARRL -- I like many of their books and there are some that are just a bit silly.
N1EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:58:51 AM »

I like the Antenna Handbook.  I do not like the study guides.  I never used one, either. I have seen how people just flip it open to the Q&A.  It seems to be the whole intent of the ARRL study books.

HamtestOnline.Com comes from a much more pratical standpoint.  They develop the concepts in relationship to the questions.  So the users learn the concepts behind the questions.

N1EY
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »

The books are only as good or bad as the person studying them.  The ARRL General Class License manual (not the briefer question and answer guide), if used as intended, discusses the concepts to a reasonable depth and then refers the student to the related questions in the back.  If the student chooses not to do that, it is hardly the fault of the authors of the sutdy guide.

No DVD, study guide, online training, etc. will prevent those who choose to study just the questions and answers from doing so since the question pool can be downloaded directly from the internet.
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »

There are a lot of people who rail on and on about the evils of memorizing the ham tests, but personally I would love it if folks would memorize the question pools and keep them in memory.

Just last night I heard a General in the Advanced section of 75m.  His buddies in the round table caught him and harangued him about it, so he left, but if he'd memorized the data he'd have known better.

Some of the people whining the loudest about memorization aren't engineers, either.  They've just been hams so long they've forgotten the difference.

How many of you, even if you *are* engineers, remember how to use a Smith Chart?  I think I still could, but I could be wrong.

Jeff/KD4RBG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: