The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-736R no audio  (Read 2106 times)
VE7DXG

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2002, 08:41:14 PM »

Had an FT-736R for about 5 years with no problems. This morning I turned it on and there is no audio, through the built in speakers, headphones nor through the external speaker. It seems to transmit fine, and the S-meter moves just right when there is a signal on the frequency (I have 2-nd radio to verify it). On CW it transmits, but no sound from the "monitor". So far I removed the built-in speaker connector, but it made no difference. Any ideas?
Gabor, VE7DXG
KB1MIQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »

Smiley  I know about bringing a dead topic, back to life, but I have exactly the same issue.
I get a loud volume off squelch in SAT mode, but standard FM, no sound from squelch on 140  or 440.  Tx is OK, just no sound.  I can hear the replys, busy light comes on, but no noise from speaker.   Checked resistor  R-30 in the power feed to the 2002. So I'm lost.  Do we have an expert hanging around ??  Did I hit "Mute" and just can't fine it again Huh
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »

If the 736 is similar to  FT722   then  I had the same problem  due to  shot in the foot.
I removed my   tone generator and forgot to put back the original  jumper plug.
The speaker and   phone  jack both rely on the jumper..

Just   FYI  to anyone reading...
KB1MIQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »

Thank you for your reply.  I'll check the jumper, but I did not touch it.  I'm looking at the external speaker jack and head phone jacks.  This is a case of, "when I put the radio in a box, it worked.  When I took it out a year later, it did not...".
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »

Is there even a pop or anything from the speaker when you turn the radio on? If not you might be missing the 12vdc to the audio amp chip. Check resistor R30 it supplies the audio output chip's power.
Chances are it could be open. The audio chip if it's original will have this part # uPC2002H.
Bill, AA2UK
KB1MIQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

Thank you for replying Bill.  I did check the r-30 resistor.  It has about 100 ohms resistance, but it is not open.  The issue is this..
  I have no audio on 2 meter, and 70 cm.  I lower the squelch and the green squelch light illuminates on the front panel, but I have no sound.  If I turn up the volume all the way, I can hear, very faintly, speech in the back round.  Can't make out the words.  This all is in normal FM voice, of course.
  If I turn on the SAT switch, I have full volume, and the squelch noise is normal.  I am slowly going through the box diagram to figure out where the glitch is, but it is slow going.
The FM and the SAT take entirely different paths through the radio.  2 meter and 70 cm. combine and my assumption is that the problem is somewhere after the two signals combine, but not after the SAT signal goes to the speaker.  Any further insight is very welcome !
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »

Need to put an oscilloscope on the audio amp and see if it's got gain/output. Then break your circuit in half and troubleshoot from there. Be very careful many amplifiers have outputs isolated above ground in a balanced config.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:04 AM »

Have you tried a master reset of the 736?
Bill, AA2UK
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

John Klewer, N6AX is a very good bench technician for the Yaesu FT-736R transceiver.
http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/03_testpics/mem_ax/mem_ax.html
KB1MIQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »

I contacted John, and he was very helpful.  Obviously knows the rig well.  The rig is fixed.  There was nothing wrong except the loose wingnut operating it.  I was interrupted while programing repeaters and didn't notice two days later when I went back to it, that I was half way through programing in the repeater parameters.  If you don't complete the programing steps, this apparently mutes the audio.  Hey, it's been 8 years since I put the radio in a box.....  Don't I feel dumb.   Lips sealed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: