The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec Repair Service  (Read 19281 times)
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »

This is an old thread but relates to a GREAT visit I had with two of the five guys at the Ten-Tec facility in Sevierville, TN. These 5 men are doing all sorts of repair work plus building commercial HF units. The lead tech took time for this visiting fireman to give a pretty good run-down that Ten-Tec plans to emerge with more ham gear in the future. These guys are no slouches!

Hi,

So where (address) and when was this "GREAT' Visit.

John
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »

No, they are no longer in the wagoner Dr. bldg.  Their current facility is zoned industrial and they do not at this time have a retail storefront.
My source is previous posts by mike Dischoff.

Are you referring to Mike Bishop? 

The address given on the current Ten Tec website is the very same one where RKR LLC was located.  I don't think they moved.  The Original location is now a Walmart and has been gone for some time.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »

No, they are no longer in the wagoner Dr. bldg.  Their current facility is zoned industrial and they do not at this time have a retail storefront.
My source is previous posts by mike Dischoff.

Are you referring to Mike Bishop? 

The address given on the current Ten Tec website is the very same one where RKR LLC was located.  I don't think they moved.  The Original location is now a Walmart and has been gone for some time.

Dishop, my phone converted Dishop to Bishop. 
KI4ZUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »

W5JON, John, the new location is 350 New Center Rd, in a couple of large bays of self-storage facility. The GREAT visit was a couple of days preceding my post.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »

W5JON, John, the new location is 350 New Center Rd, in a couple of large bays of self-storage facility. The GREAT visit was a couple of days preceding my post.

Thanks for the update.  Keeping a Ten Tec repair facility open is good for future business.  I own several Ten Tec
HF transceivers and i would be leery to buy a new radio if there wasn't on going support for the legacy gear
during the interim transitional period.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »

Found it.  The web site still shows the RKR address.

TenTec, A Dishtronix Company
 1148 Wagoner Drive
 Sevierville, TN 37862

I found the repair facility so assume they are no longer in the Wagoner Drive location.  This is where they are located now.

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=Denton%27s%20Tintin%20Sevierville%20TN&ss=ypid.YN873x14720940859438469747&ppois=35.8812408447266_-83.4462738037109_Denton%27s%20Tintin_YN873x14720940859438469747~&cp=35.881241~-83.446274&v=2&sV=1

Go to aerial view and you will see two sets of buildings.  It is the group on the left that has a gate in front of it and a bunch of RV's in the back.  Go to street side view and click on the road in front of the buildings on the left of the circle.  You can then move and zoom to get a better look, the other buildings, the ones in front of the circle are industrial garages, not storage.  One has the door open, that is the wrong group of buildings.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:31:25 AM by KA4DPO » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:04:49 AM »

Thanks for the update.  Keeping a Ten Tec repair facility open is good for future business.  I own several Ten Tec
HF transceivers and i would be leery to buy a new radio if there wasn't on going support for the legacy gear
during the interim transitional period.

I think I would be a bit leery of a repair facility that was being operated out of a self storage garage, that doesn't instil a sense of permanency in me.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »

Well I would be skeptical if it was just a storage unit too. But how many purely storage units have air conditioning and 100 A electrical service? From Streetview looks like many units have AC.

http://www.thelockerscondos.com/

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 06:08:43 AM »

Well I would be skeptical if it was just a storage unit too. But how many purely storage units have air conditioning and 100 A electrical service? From Streetview looks like many units have AC.

Now, now.  Don't interrupt the man with facts.  They interfere with his preconceived notions and personal agendas.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »

Now, now.  Don't interrupt the man with facts.  They interfere with his preconceived notions and personal agendas.

So first of all, FIB's link has nothing to do with anything.  If you look at the gated storage facility on the google earth link that I provided you will see that there are no visible air conditioners on any of the storage buildings.  This is the place
https://www.yellowpages.com/sevierville-tn/mip/a-z-self-storage-473283840?lid=1001676694174#business-info  
As for electrical service, that could easily be accomplished with an extension cord since 20 amp service would be more than enough to run some lights and test equipment.

I have no preconceived notions about anything, I merely showed the location of the repair facility and pointed out that it appears to be somewhat underwhelming.  I wonder Ron, do you have some personal stake in that company?  Are you on the payroll?  Are you like best friends with the owner or did you just talk with him at Dayton like fifty other people?  Perhaps you should let go of your angst over a defunct company.  Try looking at the bright side of things, our Ten Tec stuff are all classics now like Hallicrafters, Collins, and Drake.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:51:33 AM by KA4DPO » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »

So first of all, FIB's link has nothing to do with anything.  If you look at the gated storage facility on the google earth link that I provided you will see that there are no visible air conditioners on any of the storage buildings.  As for electrical service, that could easily be accomplished with an extension cord since 20 amp service would be more than enough to run some lights and test equipment.

Gee John...I used the address provided by someone who said they were there. Until proved otherwise, I go with the actual witness.

20A to run a multi person repair shop? Obviously you don't know what it takes to have a commercial shop. Especially if it is...like you say...spread over 2 large bays. Probably using more than 1 or 2 4' fluorescent lights.

If occupied, there are facility minimum standards that must be met (OSHA) (DOL) (Local Zoning) (and more) including proper amount of light, heat, bathroom facilities, electrical requirements...and more. All on 20 A illegal service feed? Sure John.

Then throw a big TT amp in the test bay with all the proper lighting and test equipment in more than 1 repair station. Can you see the cord melting?

Or is it you want them to burn down so you can again proclaim the death of a company that is still alive if you would ever be honest about it. You know, continually calling a company defunct, when it is not, is a preconceived notion. Cause it is not based in fact. Oh that's right, I shouldn't cloud your thoughts with actual factual information. LOL

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »

So first of all, FIB's link has nothing to do with anything.  If you look at the gated storage facility on the google earth link that I provided you will see that there are no visible air conditioners on any of the storage buildings.  As for electrical service, that could easily be accomplished with an extension cord since 20 amp service would be more than enough to run some lights and test equipment.

Gee John...I used the address provided by someone who said they were there. Until proved otherwise, I go with the actual witness.

20A to run a multi person repair shop? Obviously you don't know what it takes to have a commercial shop. Especially if it is...like you say...spread over 2 large bays. Probably using more than 1 or 2 4' fluorescent lights.

If occupied, there are facility minimum standards that must be met (OSHA) (DOL) (Local Zoning) (and more) including proper amount of light, heat, bathroom facilities, electrical requirements...and more. All on 20 A illegal service feed? Sure John.

Then throw a big TT amp in the test bay with all the proper lighting and test equipment in more than 1 repair station. Can you see the cord melting?

Or is it you want them to burn down so you can again proclaim the death of a company that is still alive if you would ever be honest about it. You know, continually calling a company defunct, when it is not, is a preconceived notion. Cause it is not based in fact. Oh that's right, I shouldn't cloud your thoughts with actual factual information. LOL

Gee Stan, the Condos are really nice.  You can buy one for about $80K or rent one for somewhere around eleven hundred a month and I assume that includes power, water, sewer, WiFi, etc. but probably not.  That's an awful lot of radio repairs or you are operating at a significant loss.  I suppose they could sub out some space for someone's boat or ATV's.  Just for the sake of argument, how many people would send an amp in to be repaired?  Everyone I know repairs their own and lets face it, they are pretty simple.

But even if there are folks who send amps out to be repaired, I don't see enough income based on the labor charge to keep the lights on, pay salaries, insurance, taxes, and other expenses from repair work.  So unless the Techs are working for less than ten bucks an hour they are losing money.

All I said was that I am underwhelmed and that has not changed.  Keep those rosy glasses on all you like.   
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »

I don't see enough income based on the labor charge to keep the lights on, pay salaries, insurance, taxes, and other expenses from repair work. 

Of course you don't see it. I been saying that for a long time now. Cause according to you they are dead/defunct. Yet you even admit they have a location and doing business. It is one or the other John. Can't be dead and in business at the same time. That's why you can't see. Your blinded by your preconceived notion to even seeing you take 2 opposite sides in your writings.

And I would rather cheer with rose colored glasses then be like you who is constantly preaching death and defunct about a company working to survive and thrive. I wish them luck...you wish then death.

How's that 20A cord doing? Getting warm yet? LOL Didn't know a defunct company could even draw 20A...LOL

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 11:15:07 AM »

I don't see enough income based on the labor charge to keep the lights on, pay salaries, insurance, taxes, and other expenses from repair work. 

Of course you don't see it. I been saying that for a long time now. Cause according to you they are dead/defunct. Yet you even admit they have a location and doing business. It is one or the other John. Can't be dead and in business at the same time. That's why you can't see. Your blinded by your preconceived notion to even seeing you take 2 opposite sides in your writings.

And I would rather cheer with rose colored glasses then be like you who is constantly preaching death and defunct about a company working to survive and thrive. I wish them luck...you wish then death.

How's that 20A cord doing? Getting warm yet? LOL Didn't know a defunct company could even draw 20A...LOL

There are a couple of dozen small companies that repair amateur radio equipment and a lot of them repair Ten Tec.  Just repairing stuff does not a manufacturing company make.  ONE MORE TIME!!!!! TEN TEC DOES NOT MAKE AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT AND DOES NOT PRESENTLY HAVE ANY FOR SALE!!!  Until they do, they are defunct.

You keep singing the same tired song over and over but the truth is, Ten Tec is not manufacturing amateur radios.  Given your response I have to ask why I have not seen you cheering for Drake, Swan, or Hallicrafters?  Whatsamatter Stan?  Are you getting warm yet cause Ten Tec sure isn't.

W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

There are a couple of dozen small companies that repair amateur radio equipment and a lot of them repair Ten Tec.  Just repairing stuff does not a manufacturing company make.  ONE MORE TIME!!!!! TEN TEC DOES NOT MAKE AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT AND DOES NOT PRESENTLY HAVE ANY FOR SALE!!!  Until they do, they are defunct.

John,

Maybe someday, dawn will break in Marblehead, but you may be waiting a very long time.  To some, if Ten Tec had a street address to Google, and was repairing radios on lane #5 of the local bowling alley, they would be a Amateur Radio Equipment Manufacturer. Roll Eyes   

John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:52:33 AM by W5JON » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: