The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec Repair Service  (Read 20643 times)
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

Quote from: W5JON
Maybe I am misunderstanding Mike, [....]

QSL Wink
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:21:03 PM by N9KX » Logged
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »

below are some parts of the email Mike took the time to write at QRZ.  if you are really interested in Ten-Tec's future i suggest you read the whole thing; interestingly -- many of the same pre-mature funeral committee trolls that are posting here are also posting there...  Undecided  

Hi,

Thanks, that explains a lot.  I wish someone would have posted that weeks ago.

"With the proper funding I could buy or build a proper building in Tennessee and move Dishtronix there......"  Maybe I am misunderstanding Mike, but from that statement, he is saying that they currently do not have a "proper building", I.E. only a storage locker facility where they to do repairs. I wish him good luck, it seems he has many challenges ahead. 

Thanks and 73,

John
No, you are misunderstanding Mike. 

If you go back and read the entire post, and the subsequent posts, you will see that what he is saying is that he needs $$$ to build a new facility, or renovate an existing building if he could find one. 

In other words, he doesn't want to rent, he wants to own.

Previous posts from him over the last few months, all of which are available either on QRZ, here, or both, explain why it took him so long to relocate Ten Tec from the location that previous owners put them in (in more ways than one) after the original owners sold the original location to Wal-Mart.
The facts remains that Ten Tec is an operating company.  They are building commercial receivers, and selling them.

I GIVE UP, as you will never answer my question:  WHERE IS TEN TEC FACILITY THAT IS BUILDING THESE COMMERCIAL RECEIVERS ?  AGAIN, "prove what you say".

Never mind, KA4DPO already answered, it just does not exist, and all that you say is BS.

John
1.  I don't have personal knowledge of exactly where the new facility is.  Which I have told you before.

2.  Enough with the "storage facility" nonsense.  Do you really think that employees would work in a cramped "storage locker" with no heat, no AC, no windows, and no restroom facilities?  C'mon.  That would be a violation of so many state and federal labor laws, at least around here... it's absurd on the face of it.

3a,  I thought DJ0IP had the photos of the new location on his site; if he did, he no longer does.  My apologies for the oversight.  But they are out there.

3b.  Since someone else spoon-fed you the links to my information sources, which you have now read and acknowledged... I guess all that I say wasn't BS after all, was it? 
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

1.  I don't have personal knowledge of exactly where the new facility is.  Which I have told you before.

2.  Enough with the "storage facility" nonsense.  Do you really think that employees would work in a cramped "storage locker" with no heat, no AC, no windows, and no restroom facilities?  C'mon.  That would be a violation of so many state and federal labor laws, at least around here... it's absurd on the face of it.

3a,  I thought DJ0IP had the photos of the new location on his site; if he did, he no longer does.  My apologies for the oversight.  But they are out there.

3b.  Since someone else spoon-fed you the links to my information sources, which you have now read and acknowledged... I guess all that I say wasn't BS after all, was it? 

Ron

I really don't see the need to SPOON FEED the deniers information which is readily available, and has been for
some time.

The new facilities are apparently in Colorado.  Photos of the new manufacturing facility, and the equipment,
and other details about what work is being done is on DJ0IP's site.

http://www.dj0ip.de/alpha-ten-tec/

Pete
AE0Q

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

Ron

I really don't see the need to SPOON FEED the deniers information which is readily available, and has been for
some time.

The new facilities are apparently in Colorado.  Photos of the new manufacturing facility, and the equipment,

73 Pete

Thank you Pete and Ron.  Nothing has changed in over a year.

1) Circuit board assemblies are built in Ohio at Dishtronix, the photos on Rick's site show that part.

2) The appropriate boards are sent to Ten Tec, and Ten Tec Commercial receivers are assembled from the boards at Ten Tec in TN.  What difference does it matter what building in TN they are located in?  Commercial contracts do not necessarily mean US Government contracts, as some seem to think.  Ten Tec repairs go to TN.

3) Alpha amps are assembled and tested in Colorado, same location for the last 7 yrs.  The sheetmetal comes from local suppliers in CO.  Alpha board assemblies now come from the facility at Dishtronix, rather than the contract manufacturer in CO that was making them.  Alpha amplifier repairs go to CO.

Glenn AE0Q

Glenn and V-NATCH Katie,
HP-O, MXB, MJB, XF
http://www.hoopsandjumps.com/
http://funagility.webs.com/
VE6EI

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »

I'm almost done restoring a Triton IV (540), and last thing on the list is the VFO dial string. Heard so much about how Ten-Tec keeps helping with old rigs, so I contacted them to see if they still sell the dial string repair kit for the 540 or the VFO restoration kit. My hopes were not high due to the age of the rig, combined with change in ownership.

On the plus side I did get a reply from their service team after a couple of days. But the news was not good. They have discontinued both of those kits, at least for the 540. Too bad. Now I've got a chore ahead of me to figure out how to find an elastic cord that'll do the job. Would hate to have the old girl sit, or have to gut it to install a digital dial.

They've got their hands full with creating new hardware that'll make them money I guess. Can't really fault them for it...

Joel, VE6EI
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Try a sewing store and see if Stretch Elastic Beading Cord will work.  If not try searching  the Ten Tec reflector on contesting.com for suggestions.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »

I'm almost done restoring a Triton IV (540), and last thing on the list is the VFO dial string. Heard so much about how Ten-Tec keeps helping with old rigs, so I contacted them to see if they still sell the dial string repair kit for the 540 or the VFO restoration kit. My hopes were not high due to the age of the rig, combined with change in ownership.

On the plus side I did get a reply from their service team after a couple of days. But the news was not good. They have discontinued both of those kits, at least for the 540. Too bad. Now I've got a chore ahead of me to figure out how to find an elastic cord that'll do the job. Would hate to have the old girl sit, or have to gut it to install a digital dial.

They've got their hands full with creating new hardware that'll make them money I guess. Can't really fault them for it...

Joel, VE6EI

Joel, here is one possible solution: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dial-Cord-Dial-String-for-Analog-Stereo-Receivers-and-Tuners/830794244?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=13655&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=kwd-1103028060075&wl12=830794244_10000014137&wl14=radio%20dial%20cord&veh=sem

There are a bunch of people who sell dial cord, Radio Daze, Antique Radio Supply, and Fair Radio, just to name a few.  Check on Ebay and Amazon also.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »

Joel, VE6EI

Joel, here is one possible solution: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dial-Cord-Dial-String-for-Analog-Stereo-Receivers-and-Tuners/830794244?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=13655&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=kwd-1103028060075&wl12=830794244_10000014137&wl14=radio%20dial%20cord&veh=sem

There are a bunch of people who sell dial cord, Radio Daze, Antique Radio Supply, and Fair Radio, just to name a few.  Check on Ebay and Amazon also.

This will probably work also:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-Tec-229-238-Antenna-Tuner-bulb-lamp-stretch-cord-dial-cord-MUST-SEE/321953015042?hash=item4af5e52502:g:xZ0AAOSw3KFWdImi
VE6EI

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I went to a store called Fabricland. They have "elastic cord" in 1.3mm and 2.5mm diameters. The 1.3mm variety worked perfectly.

Joel, VE6EI
KI4JPL

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »

Ron

some time.

73 Pete

Thank you Pete and Ron.  Nothing has changed in over a year.

1) Circuit board assemblies are built in Ohio at Dishtronix, the photos on Rick's site show that part.

2) The appropriate boards are sent to Ten Tec, and Ten Tec Commercial receivers are assembled from the boards at Ten Tec in TN.  What difference does it matter what building in TN they are located in?  Commercial contracts do not necessarily mean US Government contracts, as some seem to think.  Ten Tec repairs go to TN.

3) Alpha amps are assembled and tested in Colorado, same location for the last 7 yrs.  The sheetmetal comes from local suppliers in CO.  Alpha board assemblies now come from the facility at Dishtronix, rather than the contract manufacturer in CO that was making them.  Alpha amplifier repairs go to CO.

Glenn AE0Q

Glenn,

Remember me? Just "trolling" some forums, and I see the usual stuff still going on, after how many years? wow.
Anyway, very good to see you posting, and hope that life and work are treating you and your colleagues at Alpha fine in Colorado.

Everyone else,

I have talked with Dishop a few times, and he is still hard at work handling commercial business with TenTec and amateur with Alpha. (not sure if Alpha or Emtron or Huh sells anything commercially or not, but well, that is none of mine or anyone elses business, but I bet that will be a topic thread now that will last three years, just because of one line, HAH).

For TenTec, commercial really pays the bills, otherwise, there would not have been continued TenTec service. The problem with commercial, just my two cents, is that it eats up almost all available time, meaning, nothing new gets designed or produced. And what gets designed, is done in the wee hours of night from 9pm until 3am or so.
Mike is working until he drops his head onto the keyboard where he is doing schematic capture for the next  xxxx, and wakes up an hour or two later for breakfast. Just to start the whole thing over again. He's been doing that for ?two? years now..... So, I can understand why he can get a bit cranky, but he does not lie, and he does not pull punches, good or bad.

Oh, back to commercial, dang, it reared it's perpetual head/presence again, and there is another sale of xx receivers to build up, argh, it is the gift that keeps on giving... Just goes to show you, even with ALL of the technological improvements of other companies and other technologies, those RX340s/RX331s, well, they were WELL ahead of their time, and continue to kick competitions butt 20 years later. How is that for a testament of engineering achievement, customer purchases are proof enough. Other than a bit of redesign where obsolete parts are concerned, it is still rock solid.

I went to see my friends / past co-workers at the TenTec facility the other day, and very happy to report that they are extremely busy, handling emails, handling repairs, and working on commercial receiver production.
Where is it you ask? well, near New Center elementary, and if you have a TenTec product in need of repair, you will get shipping instructions from your door to the repair facility door. So, no mystery there.
As Glenn said, it doesn't matter what building they are in, if you need to find out by getting them to do something for you, you will find out. 'nuff said.
This facility, in my own personal opinion, is probably temporary anyway, just my two cents, so the "where" don't really matter, not to me anyway, the who does, meaning the workers that are still there. THEY are TenTec, wherever Mike takes them, that is all that matters for now. One of the very first key designers from the Al Khan/Jack Burchfield era is still there, and so are some of the production crew from 20+ years ago, and so are some of the service people from 20+ years ago. (I might have 20+ where it should be 30+, or 10+, but, the fact is you have VERY original TenTec employees still hanging on and handling your repairs.)
Besides, if it were posted, then it would get inundated with customers who want to see where their baby was born, well, that means an hour or so keeping others repairs from getting done, and keeping the commercial orders from shipping, so, in my mind, better not to know, unless you ship something to get repaired. Just my two cents.

So, give the location a rest, would you? Let them do their job, and, (I know this will never happen), be patient.
I can recognize that patience can grow thing, well, if it has, then just move on for now, don't tear down or lie about something you know nothing about..... If/when something new comes to market, or they start making/selling existing product, well, then make the decision if you want to try it out again, or not, up to you, free enterprise, etc. etc.

ok, back to trolling other forums/reflectors/etc....

KI4JPL
John Henry

N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »

I have talked with [Ten-Tec owner Mike] Dishop a few times, and he is still hard at work handling commercial business with TenTec and amateur with Alpha. (not sure if Alpha or Emtron or Huh sells anything commercially or not, but well, that is none of mine or anyone elses business, but I bet that will be a topic thread now that will last three years, just because of one line, HAH).

For TenTec, commercial really pays the bills, otherwise, there would not have been continued TenTec service. The problem with commercial, just my two cents, is that it eats up almost all available time, meaning, nothing new gets designed or produced. And what gets designed, is done in the wee hours of night from 9pm until 3am or so.
Mike is working until he drops his head onto the keyboard where he is doing schematic capture for the next  xxxx, and wakes up an hour or two later for breakfast. Just to start the whole thing over again. He's been doing that for ?two? years now..... So, I can understand why he can get a bit cranky, but he does not lie, and he does not pull punches, good or bad.

Oh, back to commercial, dang, it reared it's perpetual head/presence again, and there is another sale of xx receivers to build up, argh, it is the gift that keeps on giving... Just goes to show you, even with ALL of the technological improvements of other companies and other technologies, those RX340s/RX331s, well, they were WELL ahead of their time, and continue to kick competitions butt 20 years later. How is that for a testament of engineering achievement, customer purchases are proof enough. Other than a bit of redesign where obsolete parts are concerned, it is still rock solid.

I went to see my friends / past co-workers at the TenTec facility the other day, and very happy to report that they are extremely busy, handling emails, handling repairs, and working on commercial receiver production.
Where is it you ask? well, near New Center elementary, and if you have a TenTec product in need of repair, you will get shipping instructions from your door to the repair facility door. So, no mystery there.

As Glenn said, it doesn't matter what building they are in, if you need to find out by getting them to do something for you, you will find out. 'nuff said.
This facility, in my own personal opinion, is probably temporary anyway, just my two cents, so the "where" don't really matter, not to me anyway, the who does, meaning the workers that are still there. THEY are TenTec, wherever Mike takes them, that is all that matters for now. One of the very first key designers from the Al Khan/Jack Burchfield era is still there, and so are some of the production crew from 20+ years ago, and so are some of the service people from 20+ years ago. (I might have 20+ where it should be 30+, or 10+, but, the fact is you have VERY original TenTec employees still hanging on and handling your repairs.)
Besides, if it were posted, then it would get inundated with customers who want to see where their baby was born, well, that means an hour or so keeping others repairs from getting done, and keeping the commercial orders from shipping, so, in my mind, better not to know, unless you ship something to get repaired. Just my two cents.

So, give the location a rest, would you? Let them do their job, and, (I know this will never happen), be patient.
I can recognize that patience can grow thing, well, if it has, then just move on for now, don't tear down or lie about something you know nothing about..... If/when something new comes to market, or they start making/selling existing product, well, then make the decision if you want to try it out again, or not, up to you, free enterprise, etc. etc.

KI4JPL
John Henry

Thank you John Henry for the helpful post!  Do you think there is a possibility you may one day work again as an Engineer for Ten-Tec? Then again, I suppose my fanboy questions should probably be squelched with the same patience you are rightly calling for from the would-be premature funeral committee gossipers & trolls here.
73, and if you know of anywhere I can get a TT-712 for my Jupiter please shoot me an email Smiley
KI4JPL

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 04:51:50 AM »

Currently, I have a very fun job at UT Knoxville working on software for Titan and Summit and the next Exascale computing machine, very interesting work, along with some consulting in the evenings, so, my plate is rather full. But one never knows what tomorrow may bring.

73, KI4JPL
John Henry
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: