The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW or QRZ, are both needed?  (Read 7723 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »

It seems as though people go with QRZ and LoTW as a choice for confirmations and I was wondering if you need to be on both or if one has certain uses over the other.  I have looked at both and QRZ.com was simplicity itself when I set up for using it.  As I find with a lot of things on their website, ARRL seems to make LoTW hugely complex and time consuming just to set it up. 

Do I need to be on LoTW or will QRZ do the job.  I hate to go through so much effort only to find that these two are just a duplication.  I am not in contesting, but I respond to quite a few.

Sam
W9KDX
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »

I do not know if QRZ is accepted for awards. LoTW is for ARRL awards. eQSL is accepted for CQ awards.

The bottom line is, if you are trying for awards, you need to use the accepted method for QSLs. If the QRZ logbook is not accepted by anyone, it is essentially worthless.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »

Sam, just MHO, but if you are interested in working toward DX awards, LOTW is the only one worth bothering with.  And despite what some people say, there is NOTHING confusing or complicated about it.  Just follow the instructions and it's simple as can be.   QSLing via LOTW is easy and it saves a fortune over getting paper QSLs for awards.   
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:08 AM »

Sam, just MHO, but if you are interested in working toward DX awards, LOTW is the only one worth bothering with.  And despite what some people say, there is NOTHING confusing or complicated about it.  Just follow the instructions and it's simple as can be.   QSLing via LOTW is easy and it saves a fortune over getting paper QSLs for awards.   

Amen. If you want CQ Worked All Zones, LoTW will not work as of yet.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

I use LoTW and eQSL. My reply rate is higher on eQSL by about 10%. My reply rate for eQSL runs at about 50%.

My logbook can upload to either of them. eQSL is fully automated and sends the QSL the moment it's logged. I have to batch send LoTW, but that only takes a few seconds once it's set up.

Both of them support an awards program. In my opinion, QRZ.com isn't even on the map as far as logging is concerned.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
PY9FP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »

hello! and 73
DxKeeper is the solution for managing LoTW.
DxLabLauncher ( googling )
TU73
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »

Thanks guys.  It is interesting that QRZ is not used for awards.  I have no dog in the fight so I am not partial either way, but I hear people refer to QRZ on the air quite a lot, while the other two have never been mentioned so, based on what I hear, QRZ must have some use.  Maybe people just use it to look things up.

Looks like LoTW is worth the effort; much appreciate the info.

Sam
W9KDX
VK2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:18:04 AM »

QRZ.com is ok for looking up station details. I noticed they recently introduced a "log"  Can't really be bothered by that facility and for QSL purposes it is absolutely useless.
eQSL is OK but there are still far too many amateurs that do not bother to send a copy of their license in. Their QSL is worthless as far as awards are concerned.
LotW is the only true ditial QSL system if you want to get your DXCC, WAS or Challenge.

I upload to both: eQSL and LotW on a daily basis.  My "entity" score is better op LotW than on eQSL because of the unferified hams posting to eQSL.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:09:07 AM »

I upload to both: eQSL and LotW on a daily basis.  My "entity" score is better on LotW

This is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to thank you for picking me out of the noise the other day, Henk--it's been a LONG time since I was able to work VK on 12 meters--what fun!  TNX ES 73!   --ken ac4rd
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »

QRZ.com is ok for looking up station details. I noticed they recently introduced a "log". 

That explains what I hear.  People say they are "on" QRZ and I was mistakenly thinking they were using it for logging.

Thanks again, and BTW, change the subject any time.

Sam
W9KDX
AE7KL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »

I routinely use all three--QRZ.com, EQSL.cc, and LotW.

QRZ focuses on providing licensee details--you "look somebody up" using QRZ (succinctly, you answer QRZ? by using QRZ.com).  If the person you're searching has never even logged into the internet, their license (I'm assuming USA) will be on QRZ.  If they have an active QRZ account and have set it up, you can see other stuff, like photographs, biography, etc.  Most logging programs will work with a QRZ account transparently, quickly, and automatically, to retrieve all their details from the net at the time of the contact.  I find this immensely convenient.  QRZ also has a GUI logbook function that accepts ADIF uploads and downloads with a subscription.  I think it's probably the "best" place for newbie operators to get started with a log.  It's free, too, until you want to download it.  QRZ currently has no awards tracking or program, but some of their site documentation mentions they've considered it.

eQSL.cc focuses on providing QSO confirmations (succinctly, it turns QSOs into QSLs).  You can open an account immediately and be Non-Authenticity Guaranteed, then submit the required things to become Authenticity Guaranteed.  Non-AG QSLs are not applied to award tracking.  eQSL tracks several standard awards and issues them when you qualify.  These awards are recognized by eQSL.cc and they are issued immediately (you can print them for free or pay them to send you a nice plaque).  When a QSO is QSL you can also print off the person's QSL card if you want.  Most logging programs will work with eQSL transparently, quickly, and automatically.  I find this convenient.

When you enter a QSO in either QRZ or eQSL the other person can see it and either confirm/deny/ignore it.  Or update it if something is wrong with it.

LotW is an ARRL logging place but you don't have to be a member of ARRL to use it.  You do have to be a member of ARRL to get most of the awards they offer.  The system is essentially "blind"--you submit your QSOs and nobody ever sees them:  the system will try to match them against submissions by other people.  If the system finds a match, it creates a QSL for you.  This is fairly non-intuitive and sometimes frustrating.  Setting up LotW can be done, but it is tedious compared to the other sites.  Many people find the process of getting your LotW account set up to be Byzantine.  Most logging programs work with LotW by creating a file to submit to the site, followed by manual or partially automated submission of the file.  LotW allows you to download your QSL list for review or import into a logging program.  Once you work with it, it all makes sense.  But I would argue it's not a very intuitive process.  And once you submit you can't ever edit (so if you mistakenly submit the same QSO twice it's there twice forever).

So QRZ is a "tool" and QSL and LotW are used for tracking awards.  If you don't care about awards, and don't care if you help others earn awards, I don't see why you would ever even log into either eQSL or LotW.  If you do care about awards, then you would use one or both of those sites to track and get awards.  I think most people who use one use the other.  I think it's sort of odd that some people pursue the ARRL awards and spit on the eQSL awards as irrelevant.  After all, *all* the awards are meaningless, really--just personal bragging rights.  So if you're not lying about your own logs (and why would you?), then e.g. acquiring WAS on your own (without either eQSL or ARRL to "validate") should be just as significant as having a plaque from somewhere.

Here are my personal "stats" at the moment (QSO count varies because of duplicates):

QRZ.com  -- 1302 QSOs, 297 QSLs
eQSL.cc  -- 1302 QSOs, 462 QSLs
LotW -- 1346 QSOs, 358 QSLs

I submit all my contacts, including VHF and UHF on FM; these hardly ever get QSLs.

As a final note--none of the sites track all the fields (or even close) that typical personal logging software tracks.  And none of the sites are used directly by any contests (at least, I don't know of any).  Major contests always want their own log submitted in a special way with a special format.
G1HYD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

Well, eQSL is the only one that gives you a QSL as such, a printable one.
I am sad to see on QRZ so many people using the free side of it, advertizing their station, business or even to political ends...
AND NEVER UPLOAD THEIR LOGBOOK !
That is plain rude and contemptible.
On QRZ you can show all the information about your station, with videos, photos etc...
It is the most useful source of information, and used by many thousands everyday.
So please , be fair, upload your logbook there, it is plain courtesy and takes few seconds (.ADI file) and automatically done from LOTW.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »

If you want CQ Worked All Zones, LoTW will not work as of yet.
This is incorrect!  LoTW now supports WAZ awards.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »

2011 post.
And... the feud continues!

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: